Strat - Are 7.25’ radius necks better for thumb work ?

• Both my MIM Road Worn, and MIA standard are 9.5’ radius. John Mayer songs I am learning now, use a lot of thumb chords.

Went to shop to look at some Fender Strat CS reissues - had my Roadworn MIM with me. Neck felt bit better, but found my TexMex PUs were more ‘airy’ - preferred that sound - at least for that brief time in shop. Not sure these Custom Shop guitars 2000 Eur + are that much better than my 1000 Eur MIM Roadworn.

Anyone any experience with going to 7.25’? Not many strats have it - most 9.5 Eric Johnson ‘s model has even more - 12 ? That one felt like “flat” at bottom on neck.

Or what about compound neck ? Anyone advise on neck profile for easier thumb work ?

Ideally looking for strat with nitro lacquer (not Poly Ureth); 7.25 neck, 2 post tremolo, not sure yet about neck profile, and vintage PUs for Mayer / blues sound.

• I do have a PRS Silver Sky 7.25", very comfortable neck, you can bend without any issues and the PUs are great for JM tones. I don't have big hands, but thumb over the neck is OK, although this is not the thinnest strat neck out there. (neck dimensions .830 1st - .950 12th fret, 1.656" width at nut)

You could play with your thumb over the neck with 7.25" or 9.5" radius. The neck profile and dimensions will impact how comfortable you feel playing chords with your thumb. If you have a chance try Fender's custom shop thinnest neck: '60s oval C shaped (.790 1st - .930 12th fret, 1.65" nut, 9.5" radius) and let me know how it feels.

If you don't want a high end option, Fender released Vintera Series MIM (Neck profile: Mid-'60s C, .820 1st - .950 12th, 1.65" nut, 7.25 radius). I can't tell how this compares in quality to CustomShops or PRS.

Anyway, choose the neck that works for you regarless specs, and don't worry about the pickups you can easily change it.

Warning: If you are trying to play Neon fully with your thumb over the neck, forget about necks, you'll need giant thumbs anyway or you better use another technique as the rest of the mortals.

Edited once, last by Syntek ().

• I have a '59 AVRI Strat, it has the D shaped neck (wide and flat), and 7.25" radius, it's from 1999. I've had this guitar for about 20 years now.

The thumb-over is as easy as my other 9.5" strats, but you'll find that with 7.25" early Fender radius, the bends past the 12th fret can get to a whole-step, but much past that it'll fret out. The action has to be a bit higher to compensate.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Not a fan of small radius nor a fan of the Custom Shop at all. My Suhr strat has compound radius and feels the best my far from the moment I took it off the rack. Soundwise, maybe a Fender could potentially get more authentic tones but the feeling of handling a toy in comparison doesn't make up for it.

• maybe a Fender could potentially get more authentic tones but the feeling of handling a toy in comparison doesn't make up for it.

What are you even talking about?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Hi,

MIM 60's original version of the strat definitely is a very usable reissue of an original 60s fender mia strat, for which you'll have to pay double. Still there is a noticeable sound difference. You'll have to decide wether you like it better. The MIM comes with nitro finish (nicely done) and a 7.25 neck. All together a compound radius neck is easier to handle, even a 9.5 one is.

But to get the right (60s) sound maybe you should have the right feeling under your finger tips and comfortable does not translate to "right". Chords not only go down well but sound more substantial (subjective of course). Lead guitar playing is a bit (but just a bit) harder (strings are a wee bit higher; so you can do bendings 1,5 - 2 tones) Bottleneck is quite hard to get a grip on because of the neck's greater curvature.

I would not trade this mim original 60s strat. In my opinion it stands it's ground. I did compare it to an american standard (2011) of mine and a 79 rather old strat (wich sounds better than the two of them together) actually the second real guitar I bought 40 years ago.

So if I had the money I certainly would try to get a custom shop 60's reissue. Alas most strats on offer are made to look older (brr!). What's the word now...roadworn ?....relic!

Greetings

Joachim