Profiler Stage Introduction Thread

• To me, it's all about the size and weight of this. For it to be worth doing a floor unit, it's has top be no larger and heavier than the Fractal AX8. From the photos it seems it would be a bit wider than the Profiler remote and about twice and long. This would be probably 25% bigger than the AX8 and probably maybe 20 pounds if it's that big, which is WAY too heavy. I could be WAY off however. We'll see soon enough. I'll reserve judgement until then. At lease they were smart enough not to build in an expression pedal. That would have been a HUGE mistake.

My guess also is that this is less powerful in some way to justify it probably being way cheaper than the Profiler lunchbox + remote, like Fractal Audio did with the AX8 and FM3. Otherwise putting it at a price point that i below that combo makes no sense - why wouldn't everyone judt buy the floor unit?

• To me, it's all about the size and weight of this. For it to be worth doing a floor unit, it's has top be no larger and heavier than the Fractal AX8. From the photos it seems it would be a bit wider than the Profiler remote and about twice and long. This would be probably 25% bigger than the AX8 and probably maybe 20 pounds if it's that big, which is WAY too heavy. I could be WAY off however. We'll see soon enough. I'll reserve judgement until then. At lease they were smart enough not to build in an expression pedal. That would have been a HUGE mistake.

My guess also is that this is less powerful in some way to justify it probably being way cheaper than the Profiler lunchbox + remote, like Fractal Audio did with the AX8 and FM3. Otherwise putting it at a price point that i below that combo makes no sense - why wouldn't everyone judt buy the floor unit?

It looks exactly the same width as the existing remote. 6 buttons. It’s obviously deeper out of necessity.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• They're arguably the market leader, so they should be able to attract a premium price.

The Helix has outsold it in the modeler hemisphere for quite a while, in part because of the floorboard configuration. The other bit is it’s sonically great in its own right and the power of Yamaha’s manufacturing created a price point and options a small company just can’t compete against.

• It looks exactly the same width as the existing remote. 6 buttons. It’s obviously deeper out of necessity.

Could be. AX8 is about 16x10" and weight 12 pounds. The Profiler remote is about 16.5x7" and about 7 pounds. If they only add 3" to the length and only 5 pounds to the weight, i"m good. This seems extremely doubtful though since they are adding the full functionality of the Kemper engine and control physical panel, but we'll see.

• The Helix has outsold it in the modeler hemisphere for quite a while, in part because of the floorboard configuration. The other bit is it’s sonically great in its own right and the power of Yamaha’s manufacturing created a price point and options a small company just can’t compete against.

I disagree that Kemper couldn’t compete. *If* that were their goal. Line6 has traditionally courted pro-sumers. Not out and out professionals..

In contrast, Fractal and Kemper have both aimed at professionals. Pro-sumers certainly buy Fractal and Kemper products (I did).

The Helix is obviously Line6’s best unit to date. But I believe they intended to court others. The floor model first seems to demonstrate that.

• I disagree that Kemper couldn’t compete. *If* that were their goal. Line6 has traditionally courted pro-sumers. Not out and out professionals..

In contrast, Fractal and Kemper have both aimed at professionals. Pro-sumers certainly buy Fractal and Kemper products (I did).

The Helix is obviously Line6’s best unit to date. But I believe they intended to court others. The floor model first seems to demonstrate that.

The Helix came out to compete directly with Kemper, Fractal, and the other top-shelf modelers. The lower tier was reserved for the POD series stuff.

Regardless, sales is sales. Plenty of professionals have been using the Helix as well, so it’s not as if it doesn’t qualify. More average consumers have them due to price point and diversifying their range in a way other companies just can’t.

• The Helix came out to compete directly with Kemper, Fractal, and the other top-shelf modelers. The lower tier was reserved for the POD series stuff.

Regardless, sales is sales. Plenty of professionals have been using the Helix as well, so it’s not as if it doesn’t qualify. More average consumers have them due to price point and diversifying their range in a way other companies just can’t.

Yes. The Helix competes with Fractal and Kemper. Duh.

But Line6’s decision to ship and promote the floorboard first positions it differently in the market. I bet some aren’t even aware the rack version is available.

I never said pros weren’t using it. Pete Thorn Runs one at times and barely mentions his Kemper. Heck, I’ve seen my share of pros use an HD500.

Whereas Kemper and Fractal are thought of as pro-level companies, Line6 still ships thousands of Spiders and HD500s.

They certainly compete. But they’re also positioned somewhat differently in the market.

• If the original point was that Kemper are frontrunners in the market, I was simply pointing out that sales say otherwise. The Helix is the current standard bearer, floorboard or not.

• But they’re also positioned somewhat differently in the market.

This.

This is the reason for the AX8. To place the quality level of Fractal into the $1000 market. The Helix, AX and even the LT hold there value in that range and more people will buy around $1000.00. The FM3 will be out eventually at $999 which is why my first guess was that the "Stage" was going to be a slimmed down version to get the sound quality into the same playing field. Looks like I was wrong.....again. Won't be the last time. If the price point is still at the Helix it will be competitive. As soon as they move that even $100 or $200 it will drop off for that demographic. Even though my "slimmed" down guess was wrong my sequence of steps for tease release has been on. I suspect we will see a sample use next and that the price will not be provided until late Tuesday. Anticipation = sales. We have a lot of great options to choose from at this time so enjoy the ride.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• If the original point was that Kemper are frontrunners in the market, I was simply pointing out that sales say otherwise. The Helix is the current standard bearer, floorboard or not.

Standard bearer for total sales.

I suspect there are more Fractals and Kempers on-tour than Helix.

All of which means....squat.

• Standard bearer for total sales.

I suspect there are more Fractals and Kempers on-tour than Helix.

All of which means....squat.

Agreed. Kemper users are often preoccupied by what is “more pro”, but while brand perception is absolutely aided by professionals and influencers, professionals don’t keep anybody in business alone; it’s the consumer, or prosumer, or whatever you want to call them. That is the market, for better or worse.

• I'm not a fan of the retro looking knobs or the added red colors :thumbdown:

(PEDALBOARD): Kemper Stage, Shure GLXD-16 wireless, JHS A/B Switch, SoloDallas Storm, Keeley Halo, Mission Engineering EP-1 KP, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, Pedaltrain-3 board

• +1 I am very happy for those who have wanted something like this! I am all set with my Kemper Rack and Remote, and I don't think my back could handle getting down on the floor to program the Stage version. That said, I'll predict that if the Kemper Stage is cheaper than the current price of the Profiler or Rack, we will see a corresponding drop in price of those models.

• I don't think my back could handle getting down on the floor to program the Stage version.

Hence the forthcoming desktop editor. Besides, nothing stops anyone from setting up their patches on a desk ahead of time, as most floorboard users have done for quite some time.

I'll predict that if the Kemper Stage is cheaper than the current price of the Profiler or Rack, we will see a corresponding drop in price of those models.

Perhaps, though it's certain to affect the resell value of used racks, toasters, and remotes. Some here often deride that (when it comes to other devices), but I don't see it as a bad thing. Those on the used market will have an easier time getting a KPA if that were the case, and it's a natural sign of growth and development. Besides, if people don't plan on selling their Kemper's because they're happy as a clam with no reason to change, I don't see the preoccupation with resale value.

• The orange/red kinda matches what's on the Remote currently, I believe.

It might also explain why Kemper chose to go with orange links and quoted-user names with the new forum software, Dylan.

A couple of us requested the "standard" blue for links, thinking it'd clash less with the green of the site, but Kemper held firm. It didn't take long for it to grow on us anyway.