Profiler Stage Introduction Thread

• Kemper Support #1:

Can you please describe any integration between rack/toaster and Stage?

Specifically:

1. I'd like to know if I will be able to use MIDI I/O on the Stage to control my rack as well as the Stage. For example, could the Stage send MIDI PC to select a rig on my rack unit when I selected button II which would simultaneously select another rig on the Stage?

2. Can Stage act as a slave so I could connect the rack to the Stage via S/PDIF. That would let me use the two in series adding more effects slots and proving three effects loops.

3. Morphing between profiles, not just from settings within a rig. So you set up a Fender Tweed on your rack and a Mesa Triple Rectifier on your stage and morph between them.

• I was not thinking of plugging it into a rack, I was considering buying one, as it would mean just taking one unit out, as opposed to a rack and a remote. I thought I'd said that.. :)

• Kemper and every major outlet are claiming the Profiler Stage can profile. Any idea how? It looks like it operates in Browse and Perform modes only, and I don't see an XLR mic input on the back.

• It's the same functionality and you can load a backup of your rack, so it IS the rack. Why would you want to plug it into your rack?

So I can have the head at a comfortable operating position in the studio, and the foot switches on the floor.....then if I what to gig I just load up and take the footboard....seems a sensible way to integrate with head units to make them worth while keeping.

No Gain - No Pain.... :D

• Kemper and every major outlet are claiming the Profiler Stage can profile. Any idea how? It looks like it operates in Browse and Perform modes only, and I don't see an XLR mic input on the back.

Well they definitely state its a profiler...maybe use the input jack ?

• I'm kind of pissed because this wasn't announced in advance. I would've preferred an all-in-one floorboard to a rack plus remote. This one is cheaper and needs less space. Now I've spent literally a grand more on a product that I like less half a year before the preferable product is being released that simply wasn't announced.

Kemper has no way of knowing when individuals are going to order, and if you'd even want a floorboard instead of the rack + remote (some don't). And I'm sure they'd prefer to announce right as they are about to ship. No sense in getting pissed, nothing nefarious happened. Any time a manufacturer releases something new, somebody who just purchased is going to wish they'd waited. No perfect solution to this.

The good news is you can likely sell them and get close to what you paid for and get the Stage, or return them if still within the return period.

There are also some advantages of having a rack + remote, like being able to keep the core of the KPA behind you at a gig with only 1 cable running to the back instead of potentially 4 or more. When you're not on stage, the rack would certainly be more suitable for the top of a desk, amp, etc, to tweak and profile. It's not as if 1 is completely better than the other.

• Well they definitely state its a profiler...maybe use the input jack ?

During profiling,, your guitar goes into the input jack and the amp or mic signal goes into another line input. I would appreciate some clarification on how profiling will work with the Stage model ( I am guessing Browse and Perform buttons together => Profile mode and one of the rear input lines will be useable for profiling signal.(

• Looking at the dimensions on the link Kemper Support posted, it fits into a standard size airline carryon bag. Barely but it fits!

Honestly I think this is a more important feature than the ability to profile (which you most likely can do as well).

Well done Kemper!

Now we need an upgraded Kemper bag asap, in the form of an actual airline carryon with extra space for wires, cute little wheels, etc. ;)

• Agree- but sadly I reckon the Head and remote setup are doomed and will soon become worthless.

Why on earth would anyone pay more than this for a toaster now?....Hope they dont have loads on the shelf

I don't like to bend over and have my gear under my feet, I'd rather have it a couple of meters away or more, controlled by small remote (I barely use any pedals when using analog gear) Here, one of the reasons why.

As for head becoming "worthless", unless you have invested your entire life savings in profile head stock (physical stock), even if resale price goes down, it will still sound the same. I am keeping 2012 version of mine even if there is a mkii. Stuff is going to get vintage status in 10-15 years ?

• I don't like to bend over and have my gear under my feet, I'd rather have it a couple of meters away or more, controlled by small remote (I barely use any pedals when using analog gear) Here, one of the reasons why.

As for head becoming "worthless", unless you have invested your entire life savings in profile head stock (physical stock), even if resale price goes down, it will still sound the same. I am keeping 2012 version of mine even if there is a mkii. Stuff is going to get vintage status in 10-15 years ?

Mmm...a Vintage Kemper.....I got one of the first ones !

• It looks pretty neat and it is what the market has been clamoring for. Myself, I hate stuff on the floor. Even though I'm not really a tweaker I still wouldn't dig it. I have my toaster on a laptop stand just above waist height. It works. Glad to see new product for those who will find this useful but I'm sticking with my toaster and remote. What happened to that Kemper Kabinet thing?

• Agree- but sadly I reckon the Head and remote setup are doomed and will soon become worthless.

Why on earth would anyone pay more than this for a toaster now?....Hope they dont have loads on the shelf

Couldn't disagree more. Different options for different needs. Guys who do studio/pro audio definitely would favor the head or rack unit. No need for a floorboard, plus the added space it takes up. Touring acts carting around racks with automated changes would favor them over a floorboard, and perhaps at most a Remote with a single cable going behind them is more ideal.

The AX8 didn't kill the XL+. Even though the Helix floorboards sell far more, the Helix rack's still sell respectably last I saw.

There are uses for the floor unit and the head/rack configurations. It's better to have options that serve a wide array of needs.

• Couldn't disagree more. Different options for different needs. Guys who do studio/pro audio definitely would favor the head or rack unit. No need for a floorboard, plus the added space it takes up. Touring acts carting around racks with automated changes would favor them over a floorboard, and perhaps at most a Remote with a single cable going behind them is more ideal.

The AX8 didn't kill the XL+. Even though the Helix floorboards sell far more, the Helix rack's still sell respectably last I saw.

There are uses for the floor unit and the head/rack configurations. It's better to have options that serve a wide array of needs.

Agreed. I think the idea that the floor version will kill the others is a major presumption.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• It's the same functionality and you can load a backup of your rack, so it IS the rack. Why would you want to plug it into your rack?

As a replacement for the existing Remote. I store my Rack, but would take the Studio/Footswitch home to rehearse with. and I wouldn't have to bend over to tweak my sounds during gigs. Of course WiFi and Bluetooth with an app would make it more attractive to me.

• And I'm sure they'd prefer to announce right as they are about to ship. No sense in getting pissed, nothing nefarious happened. Any time a manufacturer releases something new, somebody who just purchased is going to wish they'd waited. No perfect solution to this.

They could've said a year ago: look guys, we are working on a floorboard version. It's going to come out in 2019. Be fucking upfront about it.

The only good reason that comes to my mind why a manufacturer wouldn't announce a new product in advance is selling the remaining stock if their old product. Which is a relatable business decision, but not customer friendly.

• will it come with audio interface too?

No, it's got none, as per Kemper's philosophy.

They could've said a year ago: look guys, we are working on a floorboard version. It's going to come out in 2019. Be fucking upfront about it.

The only good reason that comes to my mind why a manufacturer wouldn't announce a new product in advance is selling the remaining stock if their old product. Which is a relatable business decision, but not customer friendly.

You are kidding, right? :o

Still chasing a worthy one :/