Profiler Stage Introduction Thread

• Cool.... wish I could install it, but my Rig Manager is still stuck in an older version ever since Kemper changed their certificate. I haven't found a way to update it and I refuse to turn on automatic updates in Windows 7 or update to Windows 10.

Do an update via a USB stick, no need for Rig Manager..

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Cool.... wish I could install it, but my Rig Manager is still stuck in an older version ever since Kemper changed their certificate. I haven't found a way to update it and I refuse to turn on automatic updates in Windows 7 or update to Windows 10

You've reached the end of the line for updates to your Kemper then, unless you stop using RM altogether. You've obviously got your reasons for doing this, but as an IT manager I can't think of any. In a few months Win7 joins XP in the graveyard.

• You could also try updating .net framework manually if you havent already. Hey, you could even go through the win7 updates and check each update to see if its worth installing.

Theres lists of patches that contain the backported telemetry updates that you can avoid (or uninstall).

I moved off of win10 for similar reasons and I do miss the rig manager, but I find I spend more time with the profiles that i have, instead of auditioning new ones from the rig exchange.

• As a software engineer and a consumer, I've got a few reasons.... the biggest one is I don't like losing control over when my system gets updated by Microsoft, or over what they push onto my system without my knowledge or consent. My understanding is that is one of the things you give up by going to Windows 10.

I have Windows 10 on my work computer, and it's a royal PITA because it's constantly hijacking my system, forcing me to shut down so it can do its updates when it wants to do them, instead of when it's convenient for me. And forget about opting out of any updates..... it's not an option without taking radical steps.... and maybe not even then. And as far as I can tell, I see nothing in it that is improved over Windows 7, at least for what I do. If anything, the damn security policies constantly popping up asking "Are you sure you want to allow this?" are annoying as f*ck!

From what I understand, the only reason this is necessary is because Kemper decided to change their "signing partner" which resulted in a different certificate being required to run the newer builds of Rig Manager (there was nothing in the software itself that required it to be on a later version of Windows 7 or on Windows 10). I tried updating just the certificate manually, and I'm 99% sure I have the correct one on my system, but I still couldn't get RM to work.

Try this?

https://www.windowscentral.com…-automatically-windows-10

• As a software engineer and a consumer, I've got a few reasons.... the biggest one is I don't like losing control over when my system gets updated by Microsoft, or over what they push onto my system without my knowledge or consent. My understanding is that is one of the things you give up by going to Windows 10.

From what I understand, the only reason this is necessary is because Kemper decided to change their "signing partner" which resulted in a different certificate being required to run the newer builds of Rig Manager (there was nothing in the software itself that required it to be on a later version of Windows 7 or on Windows 10). I tried updating just the certificate manually, and I'm 99% sure I have the correct one on my system, but I still couldn't get RM to work.

The reason why this changes is that Microsoft does not longer allow driver signing with SHA1 (which is considered to be "broken"). The new certificates (that are also valid for just a limited time) are SHA256 certificates and - like before - the driver must be signed by us and signed by Microsoft, including a timestamp.

So there is no possibility to create new driver packages without the SHA256 way.

Windows 7 did not support SHA256 in the first place, it needs a specific update to support SHA256 for kernel drivers. Usually, this is already installed since 3 years, when auto update is enabled. This is something, I would recommend.

In case users are picky with the updates, they usually deny the update. In this case, the specific update needs to be installed.

You can find more information about this issue here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-…tyadvisories/2015/3033929

After installing this specific update, Windows 7 is able to run Rig Manager 2.3.

• As a software engineer and a consumer, I've got a few reasons....

I've been slinging code for a living (MS technologies) since '89 and feel as strongly as you do about automatic updates. In the early days, you couldn't disable them on 10 but the guys here pointed me to a link similar to the one above and I can verify that yes, you can completely disable automatic updates on 10.

I still disagree with the decision that the new RM under development will require 10, as my studio system runs 7 and I have no compelling reason to change that. So, in order to get the new RM I'll have to run it from a 10 laptop, which is a clumsy solution. But, as you well know, developers hate backward compatibility, so my lone voice in the wilderness isn't going to change their minds.

I will, however, run that update to enable the SHA256 as I didn't realize that was keeping me from getting RM 2.3 (although my 2.1x version works just fine). Thanks for the link, Timo!

In a few months Win7 joins XP in the graveyard.

No disrespect intended, but you say that like the OS will suddenly stop working.

All it means is that MS will no longer be putting out updates for it (which often cause as much chaos as they prevent). I've been running unpatched 7 systems for years with zero ill effect. When there's an issue, I look up the KB and install that specific update. When the day comes that a driver or some other such thing is required that isn't available on 7 it will be an issue and I'll either upgrade or just use a different box. As long as your software runs on it, there is nothing wrong with using an OS that's "no longer supported." Unless you own MS stock, of course. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I don't like losing control over when my system gets updated by Microsoft, or over what they push onto my system without my knowledge or consent. My understanding is that is one of the things you give up by going to Windows 10.

Another option would be this:
    http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

I moved off of win10 for similar reasons and I do miss the rig manager, but I find I spend more time with the profiles that i have, instead of auditioning new ones from the rig exchange.

The Editor would be something different tho, and W10 will be required... :/

Windows 7 did not support SHA256 in the first place, it needs a specific update to support SHA256 for kernel drivers. Usually, this is already installed since 3 years, when auto update is enabled. This is something, I would recommend.
    After installing this specific update, Windows 7 is able to run Rig Manager 2.3.

thanks timo! Would this work for the Editor (RM 3.o?) as well?

as you well know, developers hate backward compatibility, so my lone voice in the wilderness isn't going to change their minds.

Ha! TBH, I believe we are in the thousands :cursing:

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• As long as your software runs on it, there is nothing wrong with using an OS that's "no longer supported." Unless you own MS stock, of course. :)

I actually have an old desktop system that I still use sporadically that runs Win98SE just fine. We have a desktop system at work running XP and another running Win NT. The NT system has ancient manufacturer proprietary software that we use to log into their equally ancient hardware that we still use. The software will not load or run on Win7 or Win10 systems. As you say, as long as your software runs it's all good. The NT system actually has a sticker on the front dated 1999 that certifies it as Y2K compliant and it was quite a few years old at that time.

• My point of view is admittedly from a business and ICT security perspective. I need to make sure we walk the fine line between cutting edge applications and the ever- present threat of exploit or data loss. Plus I'd never be able to take a cavalier approach to OS support.

It's a bit tricky to deploy Office 365 with Dynamics on old machines and some things just won't work properly.

For home/studio it doesn't matter. You're unlikely to suffer an IT audit and have to explain why you're allowing unpatched software that's about to go end of extended support. Different strokes.

• thanks timo! Would this work for the Editor (RM 3.o?) as well?

Right now, I guess so. Nevertheless, it might change in the future. The editor will definitely require Windows 8.1 or later.

Regarding "Windows 7 will not stop working". This is true, but newer (PC) hardware, CPUs, graphic adapters and displays will require you to abandon Windows 7. In a lot of ways, it does not support current hardware like Hi DPI, touch enabled displays, GPU acceleration, CPU command set extensions, UEFI on mainboards etc. pp. So sooner or later, it will stop working when you upgrade your hardware.

It does not even provide the required APIs for these newer techniques - a software developer is forced to move on and - at a certain point in time - stop supporting OSs that aren't supported by their manufacturers anymore.

• A nice Kemper Profiler Stage Demo

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Right now, I guess so. Nevertheless, it might change in the future. The editor will definitely require Windows 8.1 or later.

Regarding "Windows 7 will not stop working". This is true, but newer (PC) hardware, CPUs, graphic adapters and displays will require you to abandon Windows 7. In a lot of ways, it does not support current hardware like Hi DPI, touch enabled displays, GPU acceleration, CPU command set extensions, UEFI on mainboards etc. pp. So sooner or later, it will stop working when you upgrade your hardware.

It does not even provide the required APIs for these newer techniques - a software developer is forced to move on and - at a certain point in time - stop supporting OSs that aren't supported by their manufacturers anymore.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• The XLR input has never been the only input for profiling. The TRS return input is in parallel to the XLR on Head and Rack. On the Stage we have the TRS only, but same functionality.

So if I get it right, I can connect a mic to the Return Jack using an appropriate cable without a preamp inbetween?

I am using the mono loop to insert a talkbox /w mic into the signal chain. And I wonder, if this is still an option with the stage.

Regards

Andreas

• I have to say, I'm a bit confused; I own a Kemper unpowered rack and remote, which I am extremely happy with.

I've just been on the Kemper order page, and ordered a 'Stage' - for a spare live unit etc.

However, I am very concerned that another web site is supposedly offering me a better price than Kemper itself ( I have emailed Kemper and queried this?)

https://shop.kempermusic.com/g…2o6bXuWy0d8UaAqO3EALw_wcB

https://kytary.co.uk/kemper-pr…8cFZ558dVcggaAkXSEALw_wcB

• Distributors don't like it when the companies whose products they distribute compete directly against them. My company has done this before, which is selling direct at full retail while allowing sellers to use MAP, SMP, or just something much closer to dealer cost. Still pisses lots of dealers off, but it's one way to do something direct without entirely undercutting your own dealers.