Profiler Stage Introduction Thread

• My Stage has arrived and I had a couple of problems like "freezing" during the power on process and it messed up my audio interface so bad (via s/pdif) that I had to restart my pc to make it work again.

Anyone having problems with the plastic display cover? Mine is not placed very well... seems like it's not "glued" on the right side and if you touch it, it "sinks" a little bit. That doesn't seem a huge problem btw. Same for the knobs: bass, middle and treble are "firm", the presence knob is way looser.

The layout is kinda weird coming from the rack version and I really miss the undo function, please come up with a way to undo =O;( and what about the vent on the bottom? I hope covering that vent is not going to be a problem when placing the Stage in a pedalboard with velcro ecc.

Also, I don't like the fact that it turns on as soon as you plug the power cable, and the on/off button light stays on even when you turn the Stage off.

That said, all the leds seem brighter to me and it sounds better than the rack version! I know it's just my brain, but during the last week I played with a modeler and I kinda got used to that crappy sound. Playing the Kemper again feels like being in heaven. Oh and the morph button..

• ... and what about the vent on the bottom? I hope covering that vent is not going to be a problem when placing the Stage in a pedalboard with velcro ecc.

Don't cover it; it's there to enable convection through the unit, Sheldon.

Just use risers of your choice to create at least as much clearance as it would've had otherwise.

• You can set the brightness separately for the color LEDs, the buttons, the LED collars and the TAP button. ;)

Those controls are an excellent idea. Many pedals with LEDs are so bright when the LED is active, I simply cannot read the text on the control labels in anything much duller than daylight because I am dazzled by the LEDs.

• Is it true that you should avoid adjusting the EQ & gain on profiles?

Tell that to David Torn using a stock Fender Deluxe Reverb clean Profile made in 2011. :)

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

• Don't cover it; it's there to enable convection through the unit, Sheldon.

Just use risers of your choice to create at least as much clearance as it would've had otherwise.

A floor unit with a vent on the bottom, isn't that weird? :rolleyes:

Maybe with thick velcro on the sides (3M for example), there is still a small gap between the stage and the board.

• Is it true that you should avoid adjusting the EQ & gain on profiles?

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. The reason some people elect to not use it as much is it functions more like a studio EQ. The further you change a parameter, the further you get from the original source tone since they aren't meant to emulate the controls on the front of your specific amp. If someone wants to stay more true to the tone they mic'd, they're less likely to change a whole lot.

That being said, it's not as if the controls are unusable. They can be useful, at the very least, for boosting or shaving certain frequencies, especially with a different set of pickups. I notice the controls work well with some profiles, not so well with others, so it's better to use your ears and rely on your own judgement.

• I'm having a little problem and don't know if it's a bug or if I have a faulty unit.

As you can see in the video, when connecting a cable to pedal 2, the morph function gets activated. The morph button lights up and also the LEDs on the switch.

When connecting a cable to pedal 1, the tuner gets activated randomly.

No big deal as the cables don't have to be constantly plugged and unplugged, but does this happen to you?

• I am pretty sure its neither.

When you connect the pedal, the "amount" of the pedal might change a little bit which is interpreted as immediate pedal movement, so "Morph" or "Volume" will snap to the pedal position.

This also could happen if the polarity is not correctly set to match your pedals. In both cases, the behavior is completely normal.

The pedal connectors are already assigned to functions by factory default - and they immediately work if you plug them in.

Please read the "Pedals" section in the manual and check the pedal setup and if in doubt, contact support to get help on this.

• I guess it’s normal because pedal 2 is assigned to morph by default and pedal 1 is assigned to volume by default and you have activated tuner at pedal zero.

• No, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. The reason some people elect to not use it as much is it functions more like a studio EQ. The further you change a parameter, the further you get from the original source tone since they aren't meant to emulate the controls on the front of your specific amp. If someone wants to stay more true to the tone they mic'd, they're less likely to change a whole lot.

That being said, it's not as if the controls are unusable. They can be useful, at the very least, for boosting or shaving certain frequencies, especially with a different set of pickups. I notice the controls work well with some profiles, not so well with others, so it's better to use your ears and rely on your own judgement.

I understand - I shouldn’t expect the EQ to behave like the EQ on the actual amp profiled. But say I want to increase the gain? Sometimes I like to start with a Van Halen type sound but increase the gain to modern metal levels; should I avoid the ‘amp gain’ & instead add boost/distortion pedals?

I have had zero problems with the hardware, but it looks strange that tuner is always lit & looper is always dimly lit in the middle, but O guess that’s a design choice.

• should I avoid the ‘amp gain’ & instead add boost/distortion pedals?

That's up to personal taste. I've tweaked the gain on the front to more satisfying results than any of the stomps. I don't personally care for the boost or distortion pedals in the KPA, and I'm not a pedal guy in general. If a profile has a gain structure that I don't like, I usually just toss it and find another, or create my own profiles.

• should I avoid the ‘amp gain’ & instead add boost/distortion pedals?

Please note that adding gain equals to using a pure boost in front with x amount of volume added.

At the same time reducing gain equals to using a pure boost in front with x amount of volume subtracted (i.e. a minus boost).

So it’s up to you.

If you want a different coloration, use a Green Scream or the Mouse (Rat Model) or the DS+ (MXR Distortion Plus).

Or a different profile. :)