Profiler Stage Introduction Thread

• Is it true that you should avoid adjusting the EQ & gain on profiles?

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. The reason some people elect to not use it as much is it functions more like a studio EQ. The further you change a parameter, the further you get from the original source tone since they aren't meant to emulate the controls on the front of your specific amp. If someone wants to stay more true to the tone they mic'd, they're less likely to change a whole lot.

That being said, it's not as if the controls are unusable. They can be useful, at the very least, for boosting or shaving certain frequencies, especially with a different set of pickups. I notice the controls work well with some profiles, not so well with others, so it's better to use your ears and rely on your own judgement.

• I'm having a little problem and don't know if it's a bug or if I have a faulty unit.

As you can see in the video, when connecting a cable to pedal 2, the morph function gets activated. The morph button lights up and also the LEDs on the switch.

When connecting a cable to pedal 1, the tuner gets activated randomly.

No big deal as the cables don't have to be constantly plugged and unplugged, but does this happen to you?

• I am pretty sure its neither.

When you connect the pedal, the "amount" of the pedal might change a little bit which is interpreted as immediate pedal movement, so "Morph" or "Volume" will snap to the pedal position.

This also could happen if the polarity is not correctly set to match your pedals. In both cases, the behavior is completely normal.

The pedal connectors are already assigned to functions by factory default - and they immediately work if you plug them in.

Please read the "Pedals" section in the manual and check the pedal setup and if in doubt, contact support to get help on this.

• I guess it’s normal because pedal 2 is assigned to morph by default and pedal 1 is assigned to volume by default and you have activated tuner at pedal zero.

• No, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. The reason some people elect to not use it as much is it functions more like a studio EQ. The further you change a parameter, the further you get from the original source tone since they aren't meant to emulate the controls on the front of your specific amp. If someone wants to stay more true to the tone they mic'd, they're less likely to change a whole lot.

That being said, it's not as if the controls are unusable. They can be useful, at the very least, for boosting or shaving certain frequencies, especially with a different set of pickups. I notice the controls work well with some profiles, not so well with others, so it's better to use your ears and rely on your own judgement.

I understand - I shouldn’t expect the EQ to behave like the EQ on the actual amp profiled. But say I want to increase the gain? Sometimes I like to start with a Van Halen type sound but increase the gain to modern metal levels; should I avoid the ‘amp gain’ & instead add boost/distortion pedals?

I have had zero problems with the hardware, but it looks strange that tuner is always lit & looper is always dimly lit in the middle, but O guess that’s a design choice.

• should I avoid the ‘amp gain’ & instead add boost/distortion pedals?

That's up to personal taste. I've tweaked the gain on the front to more satisfying results than any of the stomps. I don't personally care for the boost or distortion pedals in the KPA, and I'm not a pedal guy in general. If a profile has a gain structure that I don't like, I usually just toss it and find another, or create my own profiles.

• should I avoid the ‘amp gain’ & instead add boost/distortion pedals?

Please note that adding gain equals to using a pure boost in front with x amount of volume added.

At the same time reducing gain equals to using a pure boost in front with x amount of volume subtracted (i.e. a minus boost).

So it’s up to you.

If you want a different coloration, use a Green Scream or the Mouse (Rat Model) or the DS+ (MXR Distortion Plus).

Or a different profile. :)

• Is that officially confirmed? Is it exactly the same?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• OK - interesting!

• ...& here was me adding extra ‘pure boost’ pedals to profiles, so as to avoid potential tone contamination :) Good to know it’s not necessary :). The green screamer also increases the tightness.

I’m very happy with the Kemper Stage into a Zoom U44 S/PDIF into 2 small M Audio BX5’s for jamming.

I don’t mind a 2 colored screen but they should’ve included an exp. pedal IMO.

• ...& here was me adding extra ‘pure boost’ pedals to profiles, so as to avoid potential tone contamination :)

No problem with that. I do it myself as I like the effect to kick in when I want it. Therefore I always have a switch assigned to it.

• I thought the gain knob did something different to the profile, not just a boost of the guitar signal pre stack, but that makes sense.

It's also in the manual:

The Pure Booster features a “Volume” control like all the other effects, but that’s it. The
    “Volume” control will boost or attenuate the signal without coloring the sound. When
    you place it in front of the amp or a distortion stomp, the Pure Booster has the same
    effect as the gain or drive control
    ; placed after the stack section, the Pure Booster
    becomes a simple volume control, with no further coloration of the signal.

• I thought the gain knob did something different to the profile, not just a boost of the guitar signal pre stack, but that makes sense.

I did some tests a while back where I profiled a THD BiValve with the volume at every 1 hour point (7 o’clock, 8 o’clock etc) then compared these with other versions of the profile but with gain reduced. Eg take a profile made with the amp volume at 12 o’clock and A/B this with a differed profile of an amp with the volume at 4 o’clock but reduce the Kemper gain to the same value as the first profile has baked in. Then compare the higher gain original profile with the guitar volume rolled back. The Kemper gain control definitely responds like rolling the guitar volume to my ears.

• No wonder I felt that all hi-gain profiles lacked gain - my charvels neck humbucker was mounted in the bridge position & vice versa, both about 3 mm from the depressed strings.

Now that I have switched I feel no need to increase the gain.

But where can I activate the “space” function on the Stage? I hear it’s great for headphone usage?

I’ve searched the quick start guide

• Hi Linusius,

Further to Don Petersen's reply, I might offer the following advice...

Download the Kemper Profilier "Main Manual -- 7.0" from the Kemper site. Open with your PDF editor/viewer of choice, and use the program's "Search" (or "Find") function to search for keyword terms. In this case, you would do a search for "Space". If you do this, the program will return twenty (20) results. In reading the brief citations shown in the Search results window, you will find that the parameter is discussed on page 107. Click on the hyperlink, and your PDF viewer will take you directly to the relevant section.

Cheers,

John

• Hello, I just received my Kemper Stage, all seems to be working fine except for one thing

The headphone out volume is really low and is clipping really bad. The kemper does not seem to be clipping itself, no red light...

is this an hardware problem or known software issue ?

• My Stage was great too, but I did feel like the Toaster headphone amp was better at driving my Sennheisers. Either way, I returned it for the Toaster because it's just more ergonomic for home use.