Question regarding Noise

• Hi guys,

I use high gain profiles mostly and unless I set the noise gate knob to about 8.0, there is considerable amount of noise. Is that an unusually high setting even for a high gain profile?

When I turn the volume up on my guitar but keep the strings muted, the input LED does not light up but the output LED flickers when the noise is present. Is this an issue of some kind or normal behaviour? I've tried different cables and different guitars as well and the result was the same.

I'm planning to record DI's via SPDIF to send for re-amping elsewhere. Would I be right to assume that the noise will not be transferred to the DI's (because the input LED is not flickering)? This is my main concern as I do not want any additional noise within my DI's.

Thank you!

• 8 is indeed a pretty high setting.

have you tried using the Noise Gate 4:1 stomp?

Uh oh :( I wonder what might be causing the noise?

Yes I have used the noise gate stomp. Eliminating the noise has not been an issue for me. I usually record and re-amp through the KPA. Since I am sending these DI's out for reamping, I am concerned about the noise being present in the DIs. Would adding a 4:1 noise gate have any effect on the DI? Does the profiler not bypass all fx slots when recording DI's?

• Is there a ground causing some noise? Any connections that you can try the ground lift to see if that helps?

Right, shall check that out. Thank you!

There are several different types of noise with different causes and cures. The noise gate should be the last thing you do once the source of any noise has been eliminated.

Are you referring to high frequency hiss or lower frequency hum etc?

Is it consistent or intermittent?

Ok so when I have all noise gates switched off, these is consistent high frequency noise that is of course very prominent on high gain profiles. I guess you can call it a hiss. Since the DI is dry and the noise is practically inaudible at this stage, would the noise still be present in the recordings when re-amped later?

• OK so it is hiss rather than hum which pretty much rules out ground loops and pickups.

You would normally expect some hiss from high gain amps or profiles. My experience is that the profiles I make of my Mesa amp are generally much less noisy than the real amps as Kemper strips out much of the hiss as part of the profiling process. Without any noise gates I would expect to hear some hiss from the KPA however, I rarely need to set a gate above 4 and most of the time keep it below 2. If accept some hiss in order to maintain dynamics but I’m use to amp noise for the last 35 years ?

So it sounds like something else is happening in your case f you need the gate that high. I would raise a support ticket for this as something isn’t right.