How my KPA betrayed me...

• Interesting thing happened to me on the weekend.

I have had not a single error on my Kemper.
    At all.
    Been smooth sailing since I plugged it in, besides the pops issue in 1.0.5
    I'm on 1.0.6 now with no issues.
    Using it daily for at least 4 hours a day, sometimes much more when I can.

...but this may be because of how I use it.

Had a friend around on the weekend and he mentioned he had started using POD exclusively, not the HD, just a smaller one.
    And was thus all into modelled sounds and how they are better than real amps.
    I made him try out my KPA.

He was obviously suitably impressed. We were both praising it and enjoying flipping through many rigs and stomps.
    He was stunned by the thing basically.

Right in the middle of all this the KPA throws up an error screen and reboots itself.
    First time I have ever seen it do that.

The first words out of my friends mouth were
    "Ah mate, this thing sounds good but I need someting reliable, that would scare me"

Literally the first error I've seen on mine.
    Sigh.

I basically pick a rig, tweak it and record.
    I have cabs I like and always go to.
    I've found rigs I like and always go to.
    I import a new few that interest me every now and then from the rig exchange.
    I've profiled my amp and use those profiles often.

Other than that I don't fly through settings or tweak endlessly, I'm too busy using it to record songs.

I hope it becomes rock solid stable in a short while, otherwise I'm not sure how many people will pick them up.
    Early adopters have got them. We've made the choice.
    Now the general, less brave crowd of guitarists needs to be convinced of the KPA and its virtues.
    I know of at least one potential customer that has been put off.
    Unfortunate timing, but true.

• Right in the middle of all this the KPA throws up an error screen and reboots itself.
    First time I have ever seen it do that.

Have you written the message down or taken a photo of it and sent it to support?
    Did it really reboot by itself?
    If it was a "SOFTWARE FAILURE" it means that the firmware itself was in a state that was not correct.
    The Kemper team needs your input on this, otherwise it is hard to track what actually happened.
    Timo

• I know.
    I would report any error and help where I could.
    But it literally sat on the screen for about 10 seconds, I said something to the guy sitting next to me and before I contemplated getting my phone to take a photo the KPA rebooted.

It came back absolutely fine and normal, right back to the profile we were using.
    I used it Sunday and yesterday to record again, no issues.

Does it keep a log file or create a dump or something that I can access?
    I'll happily send off a log to support if there are such things...

• That might be it.
    There are profiles I don't use often, and we were jumping around through all of them to show him different sounds.
    I have used all of the profiles I've kept in the kemper.

I don't have many. Perhaps 100 - 120, would have ot check.
    I've deleted any I didn't like or wouldn't use.
    Possible that there could be a corrupt one in there.

• That might be it.
    There are profiles I don't use often, and we were jumping around through all of them to show him different sounds.
    I have used all of the profiles I've kept in the kemper.

I don't have many. Perhaps 100 - 120, would have ot check.
    I've deleted any I didn't like or wouldn't use.
    Possible that there could be a corrupt one in there.

You managed to read my suggestion if you stambled across a corrupted profile after all :)

Which firmware version are you on? The 1.07 includes "Better handling of illegal values in damaged rig files"

• I'm on 1.0.6
    I can't recall what profile we were on when it happened.
    I would've liked to load that up tonight and try it for a while to see if it crashed again.
    Oh well.

It has been flawless besides this so doesn't really bother me, just wish I had recorded the error or could get some sort of log file to figure out exactly what it was.

• Tell your friend that once my Pod HD muted on its own.
    I had to switch it off and on again.
    So tell him to be carefull :D

P.S: Probably I shouldn't say "switch off and on" because Line6 engineers tend to consider an on/off switch useless. So I should have said "I pulled the DC conncetor and conncted it again".

• Those POD devices never interested me at all
    :p

I never used one.
    I'm glad I didn't mess around with any modelling stuff.

Was all tube amps and mics till I moved to London.
    In South Africa I had the room to make noise and mic things up.
    Full drums kits and loud as I wanted amps.

Here I had to look into going silent more of the time.
    I had a Palmer PDI-03 for a few months. Which was actually really great.

I'm glad I've ended up with the KPA.
    Options, I like having lots and lots of options.

• So close to my story, except I still have the PDI-04 and the South Africa part. :)

Also, I haven't installed any of the pod or axe or vst rigs uploaded. I am not interested AT ALL to load any of these. That's why I definitely support the request to be easily identified and seperated in the Rig Exchange.
    I didn't buy the KPA for these sounds to play with (that's me of course, other friends here want to have these options in their rigs).

• I had a whole back of the house to record in when I was in SA.
    Control room and instruments room, though there was no window between them :p

I'm from Johannesburg.
    Well, Alberton actually.

When my band ( http://www.desertdisguise.com ) broke up (Because the other main guy moved to Tampa)
    I moved here to London.

I'm also not using any of the profiles of modellers, haven't even tried them.
    Amps amps amps amps amps!
    I'm here for the amps!
    Amps I would've never been able to get or ones that would've cost me a months salary.
    Amps amps amps

Just installed the Carr & Tupelo profiles.
    and used Fecks Dr. Z Maz 38 profile to record a fuzzy Dinosaur Jr. -ish song.

I love this thing. So much.
    Options options options.
    :D

• except for a wierd volume problem one night, I've had weeks of no errors on two units. And I do swap around rigs a bunch via rocktron all access. I'd chock my one error up to not having the volume or any midi set up connected-that is all I have to go on really, though it doesnt do it enough to trouble shoot much.

One bounce is a little harsh to cry foul. Ever had a tube go bad-I have...a lot over the years. Cable, complete pedal(probably the switch), break a string, battery die, pedal power die. Heck, I had a klon die. I'd recommend the newest firmware to anyone. I keep getting compliments on the little guy. Though as much for the light show as the sounds. I havent even had the axe2 plugged in since getting it. Waiting for 6.0 to see if I sell it or not.

Guitars-Lifeson Axcess Red, Lifeson Axcess Brown, Iced Tea Axcess stop tail, LRP Sig 57
    Amp-Axefx2, KPA, G5, GSP1101, RCF, QSC, Matrix, EHX-Mag44

• I'm not crying foul at all.
    The point of my story is that the very first time I happened to show it off to someone, who was really impressed, is the first and only time I had an error.

Poor timing really.

• Without the intention of any offensiveness, your friend is kinda, um.. if he really forms an opinion because a unit crashed once.
    My KPA crashes regularly even with the new 1.0.7b firmware and honestly, I don't care. Errors and bugs will be fixed with time, and the KPA is still the best guitar gear ever made... it's just unmatchable, uncomparable to anything... so, do some little bugs matter so much, really? Having a bad tone from the Pod live is much scarier to me :P

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.