Please help! Panorama problems...

• So I tried out my new Kemper at a festival last week. My guitar rig has several midi devices all set to Omni mode and they are being controlled by a Mastermind GT16. My knowledge of midi is quite basic and so is the midi setup which only does two things......

1) Send Program change messages to select different guitar sounds for different songs.

2) Use an expression controller set to CC10 to control multiple tasks depending on the sound/song within the several midi devices. (Eg Digital mixing desk, rack multi FX etc. Guitar pre-amp.)

The issue is that whenever I use the expression controller the output audio from the Kemper pans from hard right to hard left. Eg: If the expression controller is controlling the input volume in my guitar pre amp and I’m riding the volume up and down it annoyingly pans the guitar from left to right.

I have tracked it down to the Kemper’s ‘Panorama’ feature but I haven’t been able to find a way of disabling Panorama within the Kemper. The Panorama values are all stored at zero and when I first select a guitar sound the audio is in the centre, but as soon as I touch the expression pedal the audio starts panning severely and the audience look like they are watching a tennis match.

Another ‘get around’ would be to set the Kemper to ignore any CC10 commands but alas I haven’t been able to find a way to do that either.

Ultimately I’m trying to avoid having to reprogram all of the other midi devices in my rig as I use 100 different sounds with most of those sounds having several functions controlled by a CC10 command so it would involve many hours of reprogramming.

Surely there’s an easy fix within the Kemper? Any ideas?

• CC10 is the official control change to control panning with so your PROFILER behaves correctly according to the MIDI specs.

You need to reprogram your set up and use a CC that is not being used by the PROFILER to avoid this or figure out a way in your MIDI control board to not send that particular CC to the PROFILER. There is no function in the PROFILER that would prevent it from receiving and processing incoming MIDI control changes other than setting it to a channel different from the one that the CCs are coming in on but that would also prevent any program changes coming in on the same channel from being processed.

• Hi there, thank you for your reply. That’s really disappointing to hear as I have three substantial guitar rigs that all use CC10. 5 midi devices in each, 100 presets in each. So that’s 1500 sounds to reprogram all because I can’t set the Kemper to ignore CC commands. So much for technology... A firmware update with the option to ignore CC commands would be quite sensible.

I’ve just purchased 3 Kemper Power Racks so I really need to make this work. Can you suggest a different CC number that is ‘Kemper safe’ please. I’d hate to spend days reprogramming everything else in the rigs only to discover that the Kemper is still being affected whenever I use the expression pedal.

• Thank you! That is a very simple and inexpensive solution. I never knew they even existed.

This whole exercise has made me think about future proofing things. As you say Kemper may decide to allocate a function to a new CC number so I think I will change my expression pedal to CC11. That way I can benefit from the Morphing function in the Kemper.

To my understanding you have to physically program all of the Morphing functions in the Kemper to enable any changes to take place via a CC11 command. So at present the Kemper should ignore any data over CC11.

Is that correct?

• As long as you do not assign any parameters to Morphing any incoming CC11 will be ignored. You should be aware though that if you send CC11 with a value of 127 and change a parameter in that state you will automatically activate Morphing.

• Perfect! Understood thank you.

I have just tested a few sounds after changing to CC11 and so far every midi device is behaving itself.

I can already see some advantages of adding some morphing functions to the Kemper’s Profiles for certain guitar sounds so despite the laborious task of reprogramming everything it will be well worth it in the end.

Many thanks indeed for your swift and informative replies. Fantastic support.

With kind regards,

SM