Product idea: S/PDIF only USB intrface.

• I have seen many requests to enable the USB port as an audio interface, but it’s been suggested that is probably not technically possible since USB port may not be connected to the DSP.

Cheapest solution is to get an entry level audio interface, and stay analog. Downsides are that routing the signal through entry level preamps andA/D converters, and reamping with these is difficult. To get S/PDIF and keep the signal digital and unaltered, and reamping easy, one has to invest more that twice as much to get a higher quality interface, with probably much more I/Os and higher quality preamps and A/D D/A converters, that someone looking for the cheapest alternative is probably not planning to use. Plus they are in general not super portable.

I assume that a super simple interface that has S/PDIF in and out only, and nothing else, could be made for considerable cheaper than even the entry level audio interfaces, and with a quite small footprint. It could be the ideal add-on to the profiler for those wishing it had USB interface capabilities. And with the release of the Kemper Stage, potentially a number of new users whose main focus is live usage and don’t already have an interface; or that would like to keep equipment as light as possible, and still be able to track guitars at the highest quality while on the road, would find such a product very interesting.

So there you have it: Kemper or anyone reading with entrepreneurial spirit, go for it! ;);)

(And if such a thing already exists, please let me know where! my research has been unsuccessful).

• Universal Audio Twin MkII has two analog Mic / Line / Hi Z inputs, 4 line outputs and an ADAT or S/PDIF input. To connect to a Kemper, you'd need a decent S/PDIF to lightpipe adapter.

The A/D and D/A quality is excellent. Many commercial music releases have been made using Apollo Twin. Better still, you get access to all of the world class UAD plugins.

You can get a Twin Mk II with a single DSP chip for $599. The 2 chip model is $799 and the 4 chip model is $1199.

• Universal Audio Twin MkII has two analog Mic / Line / Hi Z inputs, 4 line outputs and an ADAT or S/PDIF input. To connect to a Kemper, you'd need a decent S/PDIF to lightpipe adapter.

The A/D and D/A quality is excellent. Many commercial music releases have been made using Apollo Twin. Better still, you get access to all of the world class UAD plugins.

You can get a Twin Mk II with a single DSP chip for $599. The 2 chip model is $799 and the 4 chip model is $1199.

You are totally missing the point. Even at $599 that's about at least 6 times the price you would pay for an entry level interface. And at that price range there are plenty of (cheaper) options that include S/PDIF in & out, without the need for any additional adapters.

What I am proposing, is a different product, with the main goal of being of being the most affordable option, while still delivering the best possible signal from the Kemper to the DAW, because of that signal remaining digital all the way. Should be considerably more affordable than what's already in the market.

And to keep it affordable, it should be just S/PDIF in & out. No additional Mic / Line / Hi Z inputs. No additional outputs. No A/D nor D/A conversion at all. No fancy chip able to run tons of plugins, just enough processing power to handle S/PDIF signals with low latency.
    Portability would be a side-effect of the simplicity. Target market would be those who would use the Kemper itself as the USB audio interface if that was possible, like it is on competitor products like the Helix, AxeFX, Headrush, etc.

• the main goal of being of being the most affordable option, while still delivering the best possible signal from the Kemper to the DAW

OK so I totally missed the point that it has to be really, really cheap and it has to be able to deliver "the best possible signal from the Kemper to the DAW".

Sorry, I just didn't understand that those two requirements are not mutually exclusive. I stand corrected.

• I just didn't understand that those two requirements are not mutually exclusive

Exactly, that's the point! :) These two requirements seem to be mutually exclusive in terms of what's already available in the market. But they don't have to!! (if my speculation is right about how much could such a product sell for)

• Curious if anyone got audio quality from plugging the guitar to an external S/PDIF ADC and connecting it to S/PDIF IN of Kemper?
    Something like Guitar -> ADC Convertor -> SPDIF CABLE -> Kemper?

• An interface like you suggest would still require at least an analog headphones output and an analog stereo line output for monitors to be usable for the majority of potential customers. It also requires an internal DA stage and DSP mixer so you can monitor S/PDIF (zero latency monitoring) and computer audio and balance their mix and the volume for headphones output and line output.

• After researching some PCB Groups I found a vendor in France

This is exactly the chipset I had in mind.

But you have to solder it together by yourself.

You need some experience in soldering SMD, so you should also have the tools.

So if you have someone in your circle of friends who is familiar with electronics, that would be the most cost-effective option.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/112817850594
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/112817850594

Manual
    http://www.paleoserver.com/aberco/abercousbaudiokit.pdf

Be the force with you ;)