OS7 Public Beta Discussion

• I noticed something strange on my Stage: sometimes when i press the fourth switch (starting from the left) of the top row, this sometimes does not activate immediately but must be pressed another time. Does this happen to someone else? I'm on 7.0.9

• I updated to 7.1.2beta without any problems.

I took my Powerhead to a friend's this weekend, he has a Focusrite 6i6 (1st gen) at his place. I did not have to change the Sync to S/PDIF on the AI, I left it set to Internal, for hours without one problem.

I just tried it here too, same thing, I'm no longer forced to set my AI to use External or S/PDIF for sync clock.

Is this something that we'll be able to count on in the future, that even for the Head and Rack, we won't be forced to set the Sync to S/PDIF or External?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

Edited once, last by JSB ().

• The head and rack will always be limited to using their internal clocks only; they won't be able to slave to your AI I'm afraid, JSB.

This was confirmed for me by CK himself when I asked in an old thread of mine:

[Solved] Slave to Audio Clock (S/PDIF)

I remember being told that Head and Rack would never be S/PDIF Slave, but I really only wanted not to have to change the Sync Clock source on my AI - which I'm no longer doing. I no longer have to set my AI at External or S/PDIF. But will it last?

Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I remember being told that Head and Rack would never be S/PDIF Slave, but I really only wanted not to have to change the Sync Clock source on my AI - which I'm no longer doing. I no longer have to set my AI at External or S/PDIF. But will it last?

If you do that, you will have clicks, garanteed.

• Except I didn't have any clicks, at 96Khz, 128 samples. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot.

• The key thing here, I reckon, is this:

But will it last?

I doubt it. You might have got lucky, which is statistically-improbable, but possible nevertheless. Others have reported the same thing in the past, so you won't be the last, but it's a dangerous way to fly. Best to set your AI to clock to S/PDIF when you're using your Powered Head, mate.

• Except I didn't have any clicks, at 96Khz, 128 samples. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot.

Perhaps because there are harder to hear at that frequency ? I don't know what's involved here, but i know that Kemper confirmed that the unit still can't and won't be able to be spdif clock slave, and the clicks at 44khz are certainly there.

• this text below is what i found some month ago on the Forum which makes it clear

what you can do with spdif, think it was posted by Kemper support

" the head/rack/stage all automatically lock to the supplied sample-frequency applied to it's IN. So if you only want to use S/PDIF in 1 direction only, the head/rack will 'slave' correctly, but this is not what is commonly known as slave mode.

unfortunately the head/rack cannot slave it's OUT-clock to it's IN-clock due to a hardware issue in the used chip : so it's not possible to do a S/PDIF 'loop' : PC -> KPA -> PC (which would be needed for digital re-amping, and which is commonly called 'slave mode') "

• I tried at 96khz and i get the same clicks than at 44.1 on my Focusrite 6i6

If you're getting clicks at 44.1Khz also, you have a sample rate problem, or you are running your buffer too low for what your DAW hardware is capable of.

I updated to 7.1.2 release, and am still able to run Internal clock sync for S/PDIF, cleanly. I would've thought people would be happy about this.

Edited once, last by JSB ().

• Cannot rename a performance if you copy a paste an existing performance.

Very annoying; copied and pasted a performance slot to an empty slot, went to rename it, but it just removes whatever I type in.

• And another issue in RM - when you copy a performance and double click to load a slot, it loads that number slot in the previous performance.

Have to say, I've never had quite so many issues just trying to get things to work...!

• Or i'm running external clock as master, which the Kemper can't do ;)

I don't understand what you mean there.

I am using Internal source for clock sync, tested both 6i6 and 18i8 now; with, 96KHz, 128 samples, works fine.

• Just turned on the Kemper after saving and creating two new performances last night - and it's duplicated one over the top of the other. It did it yesterday as well.

This release seems to be full of issues - never had these issues on 6.0.0. Incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: I left the Kemper alone for 5 minutes - came back, and the performance slot had changed back to what I'd originally saved it as....! It showed both slots originally as the same names, same profiles etc. (slots 18 & 19). Went away, came back, and slot 19 had changed to the original saved performance from last night.... very very weird.

• Just turned on the Kemper after saving and creating two new performances last night - and it's duplicated one over the top of the other. It did it yesterday as well.

This release seems to be full of issues - never had these issues on 6.0.0. Incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: I left the Kemper alone for 5 minutes - came back, and the performance slot had changed back to what I'd originally saved it as....! It showed both slots originally as the same names, same profiles etc. (slots 18 & 19). Went away, came back, and slot 19 had changed to the original saved performance from last night.... very very weird.

=O