Using a Kemper Stage as effects unit (4CM)

• Hi guys,

I know this thread is pretty controversial, but either way I'd like to open it.

With the new Kemper Profiler Stage on its way, I was thinking that it might serve well as an effects unit, for people who want best of both worlds.
    Just as the Helix, the Profiler Stage is a ground unit, so it would make perfect sense if it's able to do so.

At this point in time, I'm thinking for getting a Kemper (Stage) to controle my fx on my Marshall stack as well as to serve as stand alone product.
    My current setup is a pedalboard and a second amp for my clean sounds (because my Marshall head only features one channel).

I do not want to profile it (right now) in any way to remove the amp (stack) from stage, just because I love the amp on its own.
    However, due to the endless tweaking of pedals (changes in transportation,...) and the fact that I have to carry a second amp, I'm looking for an all-in-one solution to correlate.

Right now we (I'm testing this with someone who owns a powered KPA) do not get the results that we're hoping for.
    Only the pre (front of amp, Kemper) effects seem to work and there is change in volume (effects are way too quiet).

I have read a few threads on the 4CM with a Kemper Profiler (on this forum) and I know that it's is possible, however the post effects do not work (reverb, delay,...) for us.

Is there anyone who knows what might be up?
    Do we have to change the routing of the signals, in order to get it to work? (Inside of the Kemper).

I know that a Helix requires some tweaking of the setting, for it to work as an effects unit.
    The amp itself has used a POD HD500 in the past as fx unit, connected with 4CM and that worked fine.

So in short:
    How do I connect the Kemper Profiler to a 'normal' amp (4cm or something else, are there any setting I have to change)?
    Is there a way that I can combine the Kemper as profiler and as effects unit for that regular amp (like A/B switching, maybe the performance modes or a real ABY).

Again, I know that the Kemper isn't intended to be a multi-effects unit.

Your help would be much appreciated! :)

In the attachment you can find the way we've connected the powered Kemper to the amp right now.

• I don’t know that amp but I looked at the manual. I would think you want that FX loop switch set to “Insert”. Is that where it is?

The loop on the amp would have to be serial and not parallel.

• It is possible, but I would not recommend such a setup. This concept of "best of both worlds" just adds complexity and no quality. I would seriously encourage you to check out the PROFILER (Stage or other model) as your all-in-one device.

• If I was looking for something to run as a 4CM FX setup with a live amp a Kemper wouldn’t be my first choice. There are lots of great Multi FX available at a fraction of the cost of a Kemper.many of them are arguably much better than the Kemper for FX only. By running a Kemper as an FX board with a valve amp you are wasting the best bit of the Kemper and introducing much more complexity and much greater scope for problems such as earth loops, impedance mismatches, and faulty cables. Plus extra gear to carry and more effort setting up and stripping down. I can only see negatives for such a system and absolutely no positives.

• If I was looking for something to run as a 4CM FX setup with a live amp a Kemper wouldn’t be my first choice. There are lots of great Multi FX available at a fraction of the cost of a Kemper.many of them are arguably much better than the Kemper for FX only. By running a Kemper as an FX board with a valve amp you are wasting the best bit of the Kemper and introducing much more complexity and much greater scope for problems such as earth loops, impedance mismatches, and faulty cables. Plus extra gear to carry and more effort setting up and stripping down. I can only see negatives for such a system and absolutely no positives.

Not to mention the fact that at $1700 USD, that's one heck of an expensive stomp box. Of course, the geek in me does salute the creative spirit.

That said, it seems like buying a Ferrari and disconnecting the drive train so you can use it as an upholstered trailer. Eye catching to be sure, but perhaps not the best bang for the buck.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Chris' analogy is dead on. Enzo Ferrari cared about the engine and little else. I wouldn't say that's true of Chrisophe Kemper, but the amps is where the genius of the Profiler lies.

"I build engines and attach wheels to them."
    - Enzo Ferrari

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

3 years after, sorry :) i' m exacty in the opposite opinion, kemper is , imho the BEST fx unit for a tube amp :) why ?

- fx are really good , lots of reverbs , delays, modulations are really" organic"

- you can run a cab sim profiled on YOUR amp and send stereo signal to FOH , so no need to mic your amp

- and at the same time send the signal via monitor out to your amp

- there are ground lift on each in/out which is GREAT depending the place you're playing

- you can add different profiled preamp to your main amp if you want

- and most of all , you can profile your amp wich means that if your tube amp has any pb you can finish your show with the same sound, which make the kemper stage the best spare ever because no one will notice as the sound will be the same and you don't have to repatch anything...

juste my 2 cents