Connecting the Kemper to an Audient ID4 interface

• Hi,

I just got my Kemper a few weeks ago and want to use it through my Audient ID4 interface. Right now I use a “two mono jacks to stereo jack cable” and connect the Kempers right/left output to ID4s D.I. I feel that the sound quality might not be quite as good as when I use the headphone output on the front of the Kemper. But maybe that is my mind playing a trick on me.

How do you suggest I connect them in the best way, and what kind of cable should I use?

All the best, Esben

• Your audio interface only has a single (mono) line input (in the back side), you can't record (or monitor) the Profiler in stereo through this interface. The DI input is a mono input as well and it's meant for what it says ... DI (HiZ, Instrument).

I'm very sorry to say ... and it's nothing personal by any means ... sell this interface and get something with quite a few more channels, both inputs and outputs. "Cheap and small" often ends up being more expensive cause you will keep selling, buying all the time ... and a hassle to "work with".

• Audient makes great interfaces but unfortunately, with it's single line input and no spdif, the ID4 is too limited for proper stereo recording. I used a Audient ID14 and while still not packing too many features, at least there is what's needed (and more importantly an ADAT input with which you can use spdif if you get a cheap little adaptor). I suggest either getting this or a cheaper Focusrite in order to take advantage of spdif.

• on the plus side, it's RARE that a guitar amp (including the Kemper profiles of guitar amps) need to be recorded in "stereo"

I don't know what DAW you're using, but it no doubt has better reverbs and stereo delays and other ways to make things "stereo" available to you than the Kemper has built in.

I almost never record guitars in stereo.

• Thank you for your answers :)

I think that I can make do with mono for now, because I intend to use it with interface for practice purposes mostly.

What kind of cable should I use to get the best possible sound into the interface?

• Esbenmad do not worry too much about going mono as I do that all the time when recording. I record with a mono input channel into a stereo track in Cubase 10 to allow for stereo effects. I usually record with the SPDIF. However, the XLR left or right will really be good enough. I usually set the output to to Stack to cut out the post effects as I always use plugins for the effects. Not because the Kemper effects are not good enough, but because I can have more control in the mix, although I still monitor my playing with the Kemper effects enabled. That means a stereo guitar signal is not needed. You ID4 will be quite good enough to use to record with the Kemper.