clean dist sens?????

• I can't seem to wrap my mind around how these work and interact. Can someone please help explain it? I had an Eleven Rack and loved the tru z input. How do I make sure I am setting the thing up right?

Thanks
    Chad

• Please, use the search function of the forum. Me myself have already answered this question a thousand times already.
    But, just to help, I'll quote myself:

"When you lock Input, it stays locked between rig changes, and this kinda tells that it's an initial setup, and nothing that you would need to modify rig-wise.
    Clean Sense is simply your input level, no black magic here, just set it up for your different guitars/pickups and store Input presets accordingly, just as you said.
    Distorted Sense is, however, like an overall gain modifier, if you feel like that most of the rigs you play with your guitar (and of course correctly set up input levels) have too much gain, you lower it, or raise it if you feel like that most of the rigs don't have enough gain. Simple as this.
    Also, none of these parameters color the tone at all, think of the Distorted Sense parameter as an overall gain knob, adjusted to your taste. "

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

• Of course I have searched and read and tried different things. That is whay it is still confusing to me. Even the answer from Christoph is murky.

Is the dist sense a gain stage to add more gain?

Is the dist sense a pickup attenuator?

If you are using higher gain, do you need to increase dist sense?

Just spent another hour re-searching the forum and the answers are vague in my opinion.

Chad

• I don't really see your problem.
    First of all, I clearly explained what these things do, according to Christoph's answer, which is obviously the truth and the word. There's no black magic or anything behind these things. Clean Sense = input level, Dist Sense = overall gain control for distorted profiles
    Secondarily, why don't you just try for yourself and see which settings you like? There's no correct setting for Dist Sense for example, because it's up to taste. You can play a little around with Clean Sense, too, because different input levels drive the profiles differently.

But let me just answer:

1. Yes, it's another stage of gain for distorted profiles
    2. In a way, yes, for example if you use very low output pickups, you can get back the distortion/gain you are missing out on by increasing the value
    3. It's up to taste, but I'd personally use stomps and the profiles' gain control for this, as the distorted sense is more like an overall bump of gain. If you use higher gain on every distorted profile, then yes, you can increase it and leave it there.

As for me, I didn't permanently tweak Dist Sense, and I'm using both an Ibanez UV777 with an Evo 7 in the bridge (kinda high output) and a Squier Affinity Telecaster (with the neck pickup being around 60-100 milivolts I think, low output). I just don't feel like any gain would be missing overall, and of course, I want a different tone from these two instruments. I've set up my Clean Sens to around 5-6 for the UV777 and around 7 for my Tele. This way I usually get the green light while it is sometimes spiking a little into amber or reddish. That's it.

Edited 3 times, last by richaxes ().

• I consider Distortion sense to be sort of a boost. With hot pickups you have to back off on in the Clean sense since going into digital, instead of a real analog amp which can †ake the beating on the front end without clipping. So after you back off the input you can adjust the gain post input and push into the amp harder as you would with a hot pickup into a real amp. That's how I see it at least.

• From what I have read and experienced if you are going into red on the input light you are getting true digital clipping rather than pushing into the amp harder.

• richaxes

Thanks for taking the time. I am most concerned about input sens effecting my profiles. I don't mind tweaking them after the fact, but i don't want to mess up the raw profiles. Maybee I am just over analysing the way this thing works. Will the sens change the profile? Will it change the refining?

Thanks again for the time!

Chad

• I consider Distortion sense to be sort of a boost. With hot pickups you have to back off on in the Clean sense since going into digital, instead of a real analog amp which can †ake the beating on the front end without clipping. So after you back off the input you can adjust the gain post input and push into the amp harder as you would with a hot pickup into a real amp. That's how I see it at least.

The problem with this is that turning the Clean sens down will affect both Clean and Distorted sounds, while Dist sense only affects Dist sounds, and strange things might happen.

• From what I have read and experienced if you are going into red on the input light you are getting true digital clipping rather than pushing into the amp harder.

It's ok for it to wander into red for split seconds, but sure, everything more than this causes digital clipping and is bad.

• No problem, I'm more then happy to help you. :) And the answer is.... NO! It won't change your profile or refining. It's not a really permanent setting, therefore it can't have a really permanent effect on things. Input settings are saved per profile, and as I said, you can even lock in the Input settings between changing rigs or even save different Input presets, so how could it be really permanent? You're really a little overanalyzing this. Just play around with it and find out how you like it. You can always turn it up or down, and it will not mess up anything.

• "When you lock Input, it stays locked between rig changes, and this kinda tells that it's an initial setup, and nothing that you would need to modify rig-wise.
    Clean Sense is simply your input level, no black magic here, just set it up for your different guitars/pickups and store Input presets accordingly, just as you said.
    Distorted Sense is, however, like an overall gain modifier, if you feel like that most of the rigs you play with your guitar (and of course correctly set up input levels) have too much gain, you lower it, or raise it if you feel like that most of the rigs don't have enough gain. Simple as this.
    Also, none of these parameters color the tone at all, think of the Distorted Sense parameter as an overall gain knob, adjusted to your taste. "

Thank you, I couldn't have described it better.

But there is two thinks to add:
    Clean Sense is not a simple input gain: You will notice that it will not affect the gain of a distorted sound.
    Distortion Sense is also not a simple booster, as it does not affect the gain of clean sounds.

This Sense controls are necessary on the Profiler, because we offer the volume compensation for clean sounds. That means when you turn the gain to zero, you get a fully clean sound at regular volume. You could not do this on an analog guitar amp.
    But if your guitar itself is loud or soft, the clean sound would become too loud or soft. This is what you level with Clean Sense

It took me a while to create this, and I understand that this might be a bit confusing, as those controls do not react as you would be used to.
    But just use it as described and don't think about it deeper.

The Clean Sense will also care for the best leveling of the digital instrument input, as some of you stated.
    Doing this is easy: Just set your guitar so that clean sounds feel as loud as distorted sounds. When done, there is no risk to clip the input with that guitar.

CK

• Thank you, Christoph, now this must be informative enough for anyone :)