Direct Profiling with 4 cable method processor hooked up on original amp

• Hi everyone.

Sorry for the long post... thanks for reading it! I’m a newb, got myself a Kemper power rack about a month ago.

My rig so far was mostly for stage and practice, using a 4x12 cab, a Bugera 333xl head and a Boss GT8 with the 4 cable methods, as well as a Seymour Duncan Forza overdrive in front of the amp as a clean boost (volume all the way up and gain all the way down). Not the most expensive and fancy rig but I love my sound and how some general EQ on the GT hooked that way and the boost with the forza made the overdrive channel of the Bugera sound just right to my ears...

The reason why I got the Kemper is to have something easier to transport, faster to setup and more reliable, still using the same cab as with the Bugera. Just replacing the Bugera head and everything I had hooked up to it for the Kemper, basically.

I’m about to profile my Bugera as a direct profile, with the GT and the Forza OD hooked up as mentioned above, hoping to get the same tone with the Kemper alone and my cab once the direct profile is done. I studied the manual for creating a direct profile, I have a 2 notes torpedo captor that I will use as a DI box and will still have the cab hooked up, as described in the manual, after the captor to keep the impedance interaction during the profiling process.

My questions are will it damage anything if I profile that way? I attached an edited diagram from the Kemper manual showing my other piece of gear hooked up as described above. Anything I missed or to ovoid?

• Looks right to me! Good luck.

I had trouble profiling using a load box (Palmer PDI-03) but since you have the cab connected it shouldn’t be an issue. Does the Captor have a pad? There is a chance the level will be too hot. That doesn’t mean anything will be damaged but the profile will not turn out right if so.

• Looks right to me! Good luck.

I had trouble profiling using a load box (Palmer PDI-03) but since you have the cab connected it shouldn’t be an issue. Does the Captor have a pad? There is a chance the level will be too hot. That doesn’t mean anything will be damaged but the profile will not turn out right if so.

Thanks for the answer! The Captor has a volume pot so I guess I can control the level at that point... I attached some pics of the front and back of it. It’s a loadbox, an attenuator and a speaker simulator all in one. I’ll be using it just as a DI, cab sim off and not using the attenuator part.

• The Captor has a volume pot so I guess I can control the level at that point...

You are correct. Set the line out volume to suite. The only suggestion I would add is that you might have tone loss by running through all the devices. You could try it and if you like it so be it. I would go into the clean boost if you want that included otherwise straight into the amp.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Well, I successfully did 2 direct profiles tonight one with and one without the Forza pedal for the clean boost, but both with the GT 8 hooked up as the 4cm way to have a bit of eq happening with the GT, which is mostly why I wanted to profile that way.

Both profiles sound great so far. Testing it at band practice on Sunday. I’m pretty impressed at how authentic to the real thing the Kemper sounds!

I profiled in a volume halfway between “quiet at home” and band practice level, tested the profiles at such level for now (I have a 3 years old, so I can’t go super loud), hopefully this’ll hold up when pushing it louder on Sunday with the band!

• All right... practice was awesome! I got the tone I wanted out of the Kemper. My Bugera profiles are sounding awesome at practice volume and I am very happy! The only thing I noticed is I had to turn the Kemper up a bit louder than usual but this may be because of some miss I scooped a little during the profiling process and I was told in a different forum that the amp section of the profile can be boosted... didn’t think of that. I will experiment with this next time but so far I’m really happy with the result. It sounds way better than any commercial profiles I got so far!

• The only thing I noticed is I had to turn the Kemper up a bit louder than usual but this may be because of some miss I scooped a little during the profiling process and I was told in a different forum that the amp section of the profile can be boosted... didn’t think of that. I will experiment with this next time but so far I’m really happy with the result.

Could be that when profiling the volume setting was a little lower than your Kemper amp and therefore the final profile was a little lower. You can adjust the level in the amp or volume knob and save it to balance out with your other profiles if need be.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup: