Sound of a Sitar with a regular Tele - possible??

• Hi, we'd like to play "signed, sealed, delivered" by Stevie Wonder and, therefore, I am wondering whether any Kemper effect can create this special sitar sound. Don't want to buy a guitar synth only for this song. Does anyone have experience in this case?? Thanks in advance. Guenter

• Hi Guenter,

Here's another sitar profile ChampOcta Sitar.zip but this time I've added the Treble Booster and Analog Octaver in the effects chain before the stack. It's all going through a Fender Champion amp and it's my favourite sitar profile so far.

If you want a bit more bass to come through, just alter the 'Voice Balance' and 'Mix' in the Analog Octaver. You can also adjust the EQ using the dedicated EQ in the stack section, but also using the 'Definition' and the 'Compressor' in the amp section. Turn the Compressor up with clean sounds and down to about 0.5 if you use a distortion effect in the stomps section, because distortion produces its own natural compression as a side effect. 'Clarity' works mainly with distortion and doesn't have much effect on clean settings and 'Direct Mix' can have an effect as well.

Again, this profile works best with single notes and it sounds quite good when playing along with "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" by Stevie Wonder, because the bass sound from the Octaver sort of mimics his keyboard, especially during the opening of the song.

Regards.

• I've been messing about with the 'Freeze' function that's available with some delays, like the 'Dual Delay', to get a drone effect. I assigned the 'Freeze' function to an effects button on my Remote, then I hit a 'D' note on my guitar (5th fret, fifth string), pressed the effects button which then creates an endless loop giving you that drone sound. Then I just noddled around the 5th fret with a sort of atmospheric Indian riff all in glorious stereo, what fun! I didn't use a sitar profile, I used a Marshall 1987 SLP 50W (1969) profile from Mike Britt with distortion and reverb, it's one of my favourite profiles and sounds great. You can also use the morph function to get the same effect, by increasing the delay feedback, then you can bring it in gradually - try doing that with pedals - I love my Kemper!

• soulrebelno1 great idea which would also work great for bagpipe sounds. AC/DC It’s A Long Way To The Top here we go ?

I had previously gone about this in a VERY long winded (pun intended) way. I used the harmoniser user scale so that every note had a Bb harmony note as the drone. Damn, the freeze would be a much easier way to achieve it.

• The pipes, the pipes are calling - there's also the 'Infinity' function to mess about with as well! 8| The delays on the KPA have come along way since the early days and the development team have done a great job. :thumbup:It bodes well for the future, the 'Crystal Church' delay is very ethereal, I love it. It's well worth reading the manual and going through the delay parameters; it's mind boggling!

I play through a pair of Line 6 DT25 112 extension cabs, which look great and have a 1960s Fender tweed vibe going on and were developed by Bogner. I love the stereo spread you get with a pair of cabs, but the DT25s aren't full range, so I can't wait for the Kemper Kone to come out, and the new Rig Manager! I will either replace the Celestion G12H-90 speakers or I might go for two Kemper Kone Cabs depending on the price.

I would never go back to a using valve amp and stomps. The Kemper is so good you can't tell the difference, and it just gets better and better with every OS release. My first Multi-FX unit was a Zoom 9002, great, but very fiddly. I sold that when the now "classic" BOSS ME5 came out. I had the same argument with other guitarist about using individual pedals back then. Little did they know that all the classic BOSS pedals they were using were in the BOSS ME5! It was built like a tank, it was easy to use, and a lot less hassle to use. It was more compact and a neater solution due to the fact it had its own built-in mains power supply, which also made it more reliable - a bit like the Kemper!

• In case you ever WANT to add gear: I occasionally used a Line6 Variax for such crazy sounds (fast "change" of different guitars/sitars/banjos on stage), it used to be the best solution for me at the end.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• That's cheating - I wonder with they'll come up with next!

You could use the looper function on the Remote for building up an infinite loop up as well, and you can add overdubs, such as harmonics or whatever. I've got an EBow, which is great fun, good for 'Heroes' by David Bowie or U2 stuff, but it could be used with the looper. I think the 'Freeze' and the 'Infinity' delay functions are a lot easier and quicker to use though. I'm not a big fan of loopers, I usual go to the bar while someone sets one up, then I'll come back and listen to the actual song!

I've got a Fishman TriplePlay which gives you the MIDI option, but it needs attaching to a guitar, plus you need a computer! There are other software options available as well. I hope one day Kemper release sitar and acoustic stereo stomps, they would come in very handy. You would need a full range speaker to fully reproduce the sound though, like the new Kemper Kone (can't wait), or a Celestion F12-X200, or you could go through the PA.