Performance mode also great for song recording in studio!!!

• I've only had my Kemper for slightly over a week now, but really love it...

I am working on recording tracks for an upcoming solo album where all guitar work will be Kemper...

Performances are killer for that too! I can keep all of the sounds I use for the song - adjusted or not - in a performance or maybe even multiple adjacent performances..

On the first finished track I used 10 guitar recordings apart from bass and drum - I think I used about 7 sounds or so....

For live work with my band I will of course use performance mode too..

But never realized upfront that it would be so useful for recording work like this too :)

Probably well known to you guys, but hey I've only just begun to scratch Kempers' surface :)

cheers Hans

I love being versatile....

Kemper profiler toaster, Variax guitar, variax bass and variax nylon Acoustic. softsynths and pearl drumkit/roland TD20. Composing and singing for my band Whitecave (also on facebook, spotify, apple music etc)

• I use the performance approach for recording as well, and love it.

If you haven't already, you'll probably find that the MIDI program changes are also very handy in the studio.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Same here. Performances are great way to save song-related and specially tweaked rigs and sounds. I do a lot of recording and re-amping. Always strive to create recording performances per song and to save them together with the DAW project files. In case I need to change something during the mixing process it takes just seconds to have the right sound loaded.

The KPA is such a versatile tool... just love it...

• No Chris have not used midi with it yet, but that's the next step - haven't had the time yet butwant to use midi from ither Logic while recording as well as switching performances while playing live - don't have the remote yet but either the FCB1010 or the Roland FC300 that I do both have, should do the job....

Yes deadman - especially the tweaking ability is SOOO cool in the performances!!!

In reamping there is however the tiny issue of getting recorded level and reamping input level the same or your sound will be different...

But yes - versatile - loving it... :)

Kemper profiler toaster, Variax guitar, variax bass and variax nylon Acoustic. softsynths and pearl drumkit/roland TD20. Composing and singing for my band Whitecave (also on facebook, spotify, apple music etc)

• In reamping there is however the tiny issue of getting recorded level and reamping input level the same or your sound will be different...

Yeah that is indeed a tricky thing and that was my fear as well when I started working with the KPA about 8 month ago. I always wanted to have consistent capability to re-amp and was not sure in the beginning how that would go with the KPA. From my ReAmping box (Palmer Daccapo) I knew the issue you're describing quite well. The level was never right.

With the KPA and some experience now I have to say that it goes quite well and the issue does not appear in my workflow at all. I'm trying to record consistently via SPDIF so only one A/D conversion at the very beginning of the signal chain (Guitar In @ KPA). After that and with careful view on the level controls in my DAW (Cubase Pro in my case) I can re-amp with exactly the same level via SPDIF again - even without having to tweak the reamp sense control (which to my impression is a very good thing but once necessary to tweak here the consistency goes away).

As an experiment I re-amped some tracks in the beginning with the exact same sound which I used to track it so I could compare them (tracked with a sound vs. re-amped with the same sound). Close enough for me I have to say. Could not sense any noticeable differences in the gain.

Just my two cents though... can not speak for other setups or DAWs etc

• Ya Deadman.. of course it’s a trial and error thing..

Yesterday i got extra spdif cables so i can use both in and out from my saffire pro24 interface..

I can also leave my direct out connrcted now, before I had to change that more often .. i also needed that input for other stuff as well, so had to readjust more often.

It would now be a matter of recording straight and reamping signals and comparing until it’s as close as possible - then leave the settings as is.

Actually this was the main advantage of using Helix native where only clean guitar signal was recorded and the Helix plugin is always in the end of the signal chain...no reamping... just readjusting...

But recordings like I just did using 10 guitar tracks would then need 10 Helix Native plugins instances to be loaded which my computer can hardly handle.. sure I can freeze the tracks but it ‘frustrates’ the workflow...

• Having a digital mixer helped a lot on the reamping volume. After doing the experimentation to find the optimal level I saved a mixer snapshot allowing me to just call it up in the future. Also have a channel preset for Cubase that pairs with it. Technology does have its moments.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Sure Chris - I did have a Behringer digital mixer in the past but actually that's in my band's stdio now - and even there we don't use it anymore...

normally I keep all equipment connected so it should not be necessary to change input/output volumes...

I did however have too little inputs so had to swap - asking for input volume problems....

If everything's ok I now have solved it differently using spdif for in and out from/to Kemper...

Now I need to take time to get levels and latency settings right as well and I'm good to go!!!:thumbup::)

• What about if Kemper created a test tone generator (possibly by using the tuner pitches or just a standard 1khz tone). This would be used to set the spidf in put signal to a known level (say -6db). Then when ready to reamp use a tone generator in the daw to set the output level to the exact same setting. Now both record and playback levels would be confirmed as the same and wouldn’t be affected by trying to match levels on a variable signal like a DI guitar track.