How do you guys organize recordings with direct and affected signals?

• Hi I was wondering how other are handling this,,

To be as flexible as possible I am now recording the Kemper rig sound on one track while also recording the direct sound on a separate channel..

I am doing aongs where I could easily have 8 to 10 guitar tracks, meaning that guitar only takes 20 channels...

the direct channels will then be muted unless I need to reamp a track..

I am still trying to figure out what best workflow and organisation would be..

I was wondering if any of you guys share a similar workflow and how you go about doing this?

Cheers Hans

I love being versatile....

Kemper profiler toaster, Variax guitar, variax bass and variax nylon Acoustic. softsynths and pearl drumkit/roland TD20. Composing and singing for my band Whitecave (also on facebook, spotify, apple music etc)

• Colour coding - and labelling so they correlate really helps.

If you're a protools user, you can drop the DI track down onto an alternate playlist on the track so its just sat there and that will clean your screen up.

Or you can temporarily hide tracks.

Is there anything more specific you need help with mate?

Cheers,

Greg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• The color coding is a good one - simple but totally missed that..

I use either Logic Pro or Waveform and of course I'm dependent of their options...

I don't think hiding is amongst those - sounds good though...

Waveform has folders and Logic has subtracks ...

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

cheers Hans

Kemper profiler toaster, Variax guitar, variax bass and variax nylon Acoustic. softsynths and pearl drumkit/roland TD20. Composing and singing for my band Whitecave (also on facebook, spotify, apple music etc)

• I record the DI on the left and the stack on the right side of a stereo track. Then use a Cubase stock plugin to select which one to hear. Works a charm generally and when comping takes. Being while to edit both versions in sync is paramount (for me).

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Hey musicmad - but don't you record stereo guitarsound at all then?? or do you first record tracks like this and then when everything is finished, record everything to stereo???

• Cubase can create folders, so I have one for DI and one for the recorded tone. This makes it easy to just collapse folders to clean up the view. You can also mute at the folder level.

I haven't used Logic since Apple bought them years ago. Does it have some concept of track folders?

Also, +1 on colors and labeling. I use a Mackie MCU, so a naming convention on labeling is important since there are only so many characters I can use.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Ya Chris - from the top of my head I think Logic has sort of folders as well ors subtracks as I said - have to be in front of the monitor to see what it did again...

Ya after Notator on Atari ST I went to apple and stayed with Logic although I now also use Waveform (former Tracktion) because it has Mac and Windows versions and in my band's studio we use PC.. never really cared for Cubase really (except for ages ago on Atari ST as well)

Splitting up in direct and recorded folders was my solution so far as well - combining that with colors for the associated tracks is something I will try with the upcoming work!!

Thanks guys!!!

• I use folders and colouring. I have a specific folder for all the clean/DI signals and few folders for either grouping of rythm/lead/acvoustic guitars etc. or for grouping of different sounds, e.g. I have a folder which bundles the high gain sounds and another one which contains the same guitar tracks with low to medium gain sounds. This way I can easiy compare by just switching complete folders to mute/unmute. Great for acoustic guitar versions as well.

Basically I always try to keep my core list of tracks which wil appear in the mix as small and condensed as I can. Sorting other tracks away in the folders so that they don't disturb. Important also (for me as a Cubase user) to keep the mixer clean in that way.

• Thanks for the input deadman... And the rest of you guys...

I have been recording for ages but having this reamping option forces me to rethink stuff and all input helps! ?

• Hey musicmad - but don't you record stereo guitarsound at all then?? or do you first record tracks like this and then when everything is finished, record everything to stereo???

I generally don't use the stereo effects in the Kemper for recording. Only use those live. For recording I add stereo effects in the mix stage.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Ah ok that explains the way you use it... right! :thumbup:

• Thanks Alan!!:)