Kemper DI can't handle the level - issue has been resolved

• I just bought a Kemper DI and today I was trying to make a Direct Amp Profile of a 100W marshall head and a 100W EVH5153 both hooked up to a EVH 4x12.

First I tried the EVH and made the connections exactly as Manual 7.0 "Profiling an Amp 287" and lowered the return level until the output level was green (at -7dB or so)

When trying to make the Direct Amp profile using the Kemper DI, the profiling process stopped saying something like clipping was experienced and the volume was too high and needed to be reduced. Selecting "no cabinet" made no difference.

I checked the level at my interface (connected via spdif) and it was through the roof. I had to go down to -30dB at the return level in order to see some dynamic movement instead of all maxed out. It would then create a profile but finish with a message saying something like "a compressor was found in the chain and I should check the accuracy of the profile" (paraphrasing).

Creating a studio profile with my SM57 worked fine.

What am I missing here? Is the DI unit faulty?

• There is nothing wrong with the Kemper DI box. It is a passive unit and Can handle up to 500W, but the output signal is a fixed percentage of the amp power output. If you don't want to adjust the return signal at the Kemper, then you'll need to adjust it inline between the DI box and the Kemper. A potentiometer would work .

• How can I reduce the return level further than -32dB?

Read post #2

You have 2 choices:

1). If you have no spare parts and are not familiar with building your own, then your best option is to buy an inline attenuator (Hosa or similar) as flcmcya suggested.

2). If you want to build your own, as I suggested, then you simply dial in the amount of attenuation you want. I own an audio repair business, and usually have spare parts to build what is needed.

• Read post #2

I quoted the part "if you don't want to reduce the level at the Kemper" - hence asking how I can reduce it further.

This just doesn't make sense. Kempers whole idea is to capture your perfect sound, i.e pushing the power tubes. If that's too much for their own DI that should be clearly advertised rather than "handle up to 500W".

• The signal from my Komet Concorde destroyed my DI until I added the attenuater at -40 ....

........that allowed me to run it at the sweet spot...... without getting the dreaded message!

Reminds me... Need to prof my "29" 8)

• I suggest you contact the Kemper support team.

I've got a support ticket raised and we've been emailing back and forth a couple of times trouble shooting but so far no luck.

The support person said they've profiled other similar 100W amps at all gain and master volume stages using Kemper DI with no issues. I've checked and replaced all cables, even done a hard system reset to rule everything out but still the same issue.

One of the amps I've tried doing a DA profile of is a Marshall YJM100 and the only way to profile it was to engage the built in attenuator and bring it down to about 55%, otherwise the Kemper wouldn't have it, but then it doesn't sound the same.

No issue capturing a normal studio profile with everything cranked.

• I have similar issues with my attempts to make a DI Profile of my Dr Z Wreck (30 Watt)....

No matter how low or hi the Volume of the amp is, the profiles always features a weird and artificial distortion which reminds me of a Fuzz Pedal with extrem settings ... even when reducing the return gain to- 24 dB...

(Definition parameter shows "0".... when making a normal Profile of this amp with same settings via cab, Definition shows "10" !)

I did a reset to default settings via the System Knob (page 1) but it didn't help me either with this amp....

On the other hand making a DI Profile of my 18 Watt Marshall Clone was no problem !

My Ticket at Kemper Support is still running...

• I suggest you contact the Kemper support team.

I've got a support ticket raised and we've been emailing back and forth a couple of times trouble shooting but so far no luck.

The support person said they've profiled other similar 100W amps at all gain and master volume stages using Kemper DI with no issues.

I've checked and replaced all cables, even done a hard system reset but still the same issue.

One of the amps I've tried doing a DA profile of is a Marshall YJM100 and the only way to profile it was to engage the built in attenuator and bring it down to about 55%, otherwise the Kemper wouldn't have it, but then it doesn't sound the same.

No issue capturing a normal studio profile with everything cranked

• Do not use an attenuator while profiling, the results will be poor.

What you need to do is get some kind of decibel pad in the signal chain to lower the signal, rather than attenuate the amp.

Do you have an audio interface? Route the signal through your computer and just lower the volume of the channel before sending it to the Kemper. This will do the trick.

• Do not use an attenuator while profiling, the results will be poor.

What you need to do is get some kind of decibel pad in the signal chain to lower the signal, rather than attenuate the amp.

Do you have an audio interface? Route the signal through your computer and just lower the volume of the channel before sending it to the Kemper. This will do the trick.

One of, if not, the biggest advantages of Kemper as a product is to profile a tube amp running hot pushing a cab speaker into distorsion and yet bring it down to line level for studio work, live application or home use. The sale pitch of the Kemper DI suggests it can handle 500W so the whole thing doesn't make sense IMO. If their own product, the DI, can't handle a high powered tube amp it kind of defeats the whole purpose for what it was designed to do. There shouldn't be any need for any intermediate device controlling the level, if so it should be clearly advertised with something like "please be aware for amps with a high output a decibel pad is needed".

I still think it should be able to handle the amp and the support team claims they've profiled several other similar amps without issues so a RMA has been issued.

A new device is on its way so let's see.