SOLVED. Stage. Tap tempo problem. SOLVED

• The 30 days are there for things to return if you really don't like them. If you like the Kemper and want to keep it, then you have a guarantee of 3 years. So if there really is something broken or shows a really unexplainable thing then you can either have Thomann fix it for you or send it back to Kemper, directly after the "invitation". So, if you like the unit and want to basically keep it, which I assume, then just keep calm... ?. Try to contact Kemper support again.

Thank you.

I certainly like the Stage. That's why I'm keeping it, as you say.

It's just kind of a little frustrating to keep calm for so long :) . I'm not using it live until it's ok. I have 3 gigs this week in 3 different islands. I'd love to use my Stage, but it think I'll have to wait some more.

• The tap tempo of the kemper, or rather, everything about the tempo in kemper is the biggest disaster in history.

I've been testing for a year (including external controllers, synchronizing it with a continuous and precise external tap ... etc etc).

It is a disaster.

• The tap tempo of the kemper, or rather, everything about the tempo in kemper is the biggest disaster in history.

I've been testing for a year (including external controllers, synchronizing it with a continuous and precise external tap ... etc etc).

It is a disaster.

can you elaborate this 'disaster' ?

when (in what scenario) do you have problems with 'the tempo' ?

and how did you spent a year on this?

It is a disaster.

Really???

I never heard about that.

I've had a few devices with Tap Tempo and they all worked perfectly (Boss, Trex, TC, Fractal...). And I never heard anybody complaining about this problems with Kemper gear, so I'm surprised.

• can you elaborate this 'disaster' ?

when (in what scenario) do you have problems with 'the tempo' ?

and how did you spent a year on this?

Hello! I give you an example.

With a mega arduino board, I send 4 pulses via midi CC30 every 500ms. I monitor the time from the arduino itself and make sure they are 500ms (120bpm) accurate, without any deviation.

Well, the kemper, sometimes 120bpm, sometimes 119.x ... other 118.x other 121 ... NEVER is the same deviation even though the signal arrives with absolute precision.

Imagine that in a moment of a song with constant tempo, a guitar is left alone with a tremolo that lasts 10 seconds ...

And over a year I have inflated to read, I have sent the tempo directly by midi, I have sent it just when I wanted to start the cycle, before, after ... I have sent taps more or less frequently, I have tried changing the preset in time, I added a morph function to the effect (tremolo in my case) and control it with an expression pedal to see if it fit better ... obviously I have not been 365 days doing tests, but I started with this problem a year and I have not stopped consulting forums and testing since then.

I am not the only one affected, I recently contacted another person with the same problem, and I have read similar cases.

Thanks for answering!

• not entirely sure what you want to achieve by the arduino board:

why don't you send a proper MIDI clock in stead of those CC30's ?? I've just verified with the Stage:

- the MIDI clock coming out of the KPA is super-super-super tight

- the KPA reacts correctly to incoming MIDI clock: I've aplied an external MIDI clock (195 bpm) and tried a delay effect as well as a tremelo effect: the KPA keeps in-sync forever.. absolutely no problem there neither.

so most probably my test set-up differs from your's; I suspect mainly because you send 'TAP' commands in stead of proper MIDI-clock (0xF8's) ?

• I’ve never been able to rely on my kpa rack & remote to deliver the tempo i tap 100% of the time.

Its very hit and miss my guess is that the OS is dealing with more important tasks and this gets a low priority. I find myself having to re-tap in the tempo a few times before i get something close to the bpm i need

The real fix, slightly annoyingly, is to create a dedicated rig with the tempo of the song preset. This only works when using click track when the tempo is guaranteed. Cant speak for your drummer’s internal clock :S

perhaps this why the tap-indicator flashes erratically and therefore doesn't matter if the tempo tapped is inaccurate. I think the flashing tempo is even lower in the OS processes. This is certainly no guide nor use to me, but that’s another gripe.

• First of all, thanks for your answers, it's great to have such a communication.

I have reached the point of sending the TAPs via midi cc30 because the biggest problem is that, even setting a rig with the same time of the song, I have problems in the parts where I use the tremolo (activating / deactivating the effect) .

I will give a direct example so that you understand exactly what I mean.

I play this song from my group at 195bpm:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

From the beginning I use a rig set at 195bpm with a tremolo in effect X (off) set to be as hard as possible.

When the tremolo part arrives (2:02), I activate X effect and practically there is always a deviation that is usually corrected when I continue playing.

I have also tried, at the same time, to switch to a preset with the tremolo already active ... sometimes it goes better than others ... but I don't get something that is 100% effective.

The only thing left for me to try is to use a kemper remote or other midi pedalboard to see if there is any kind of delay in my controller ...

Thank you so much for helping.

• I’ve never been able to rely on my kpa rack & remote to deliver the tempo i tap 100% of the time.

Its very hit and miss my guess is that the OS is dealing with more important tasks and this gets a low priority. I find myself having to re-tap in the tempo a few times before i get something close to the bpm i need

The real fix, slightly annoyingly, is to create a dedicated rig with the tempo of the song preset. This only works when using click track when the tempo is guaranteed. Cant speak for your drummer’s internal clock :S

perhaps this why the tap-indicator flashes erratically and therefore doesn't matter if the tempo tapped is inaccurate. I think the flashing tempo is even lower in the OS processes. This is certainly no guide nor use to me, but that’s another gripe.

This it's very revelating, thanks.

How is it possible I never heard anything about that?

I didn't even consider the possibility of a Tap Tempo system not working correctly these days. Probably because I never had any of them falling:

Boss DD5

Boss DD7

TC Flashback X4

TRex Soulmate

Fractal AX8

It always worked perfectly in all of them.

So this must be a secret in kemper users' world.

And, if it's and old issue that hasn't been fixed yet... Maybe it won't be solved soon.

Then, no way to use it live. For, let's say... 3/4 if my solos I use a 1/4 delay time which is not very loud. Here it's only very important when we all stop playing and only my delay tails stay there, but in a few songs I play rhythm with loud dotted eights and those have to be perfect. We don't use click track. We have a good drummer and he or the singer start most of the songs. I just tap (2 times) and I need it perfect as it always was.

I love the way the Stage sounds, so I'll keep it at home waiting for a solution.

• tapping 2 times = expecting the device to pick up the tempo by just 1 delta-time (!).. then you'd have to do super-perfect tapping. I think that's nearly impossible as a human (+ the mechanics of the switch / foot / hand etc.)

I'd recommend better to tap a couple of times more.

• hackowl: I think maybe this is not a problem of 'tempo' / 'speed' but more a matter of 'phase' or 'beat': you want the tremolo to be 'in-beat' with your song, and would need a way to sync the '1' . At this moment I'm not sure how to do that, and if it's even possible with the tremolo effect at all.. will do some diggin'

• Well; sometimes I have to make corrections.

But I never had real problems till now.

I'll refresh my problem: The Tap Switch sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

It's not the switch. It seems to be a Firmware problem. I'd love to have it solved.

• hackowl: I think maybe this is not a problem of 'tempo' / 'speed' but more a matter of 'phase' or 'beat': you want the tremolo to be 'in-beat' with your song, and would need a way to sync the '1' . At this moment I'm not sure how to do that, and if it's even possible with the tremolo effect at all.. will do some diggin'

Thanks for your answer.

One of my intentions sending the taps via cc30 is to tell the kemper where the "click" of the song is (obviously it is perfectly synchronized with the song). But ... it still doesn't fit.

Another thing that I found curious, is that, if you do not stop sending the cc30 messages and change preset, it takes a long time to approach the tempo ... this I saw the other day by chance and I did not pay attention and , maybe i am wrong, I will check it quietly these days.

Thanks for help!!!!!