S-PDIF to USB adapter for mobile recording?

• Hi All,

I have some road gigs coming up where I will be wanting to take advantage of some downtime by doing a bit of recording. I use a 2019 MacBook Pro which has 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports only. I do also have a little hub thingie that uses two of these ports and gives me 3 USB-A ports as well as a USB-C and SD Card slot.

At home I connect my Kemper via S-PDIF to my Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt interface. Clearly I don't want to take that or any other interface on the road with me if I can avoid it. A super brief Google search revealed that there appears to be several fairly inexpensive S-PDIF to USB devices on the market so I'm wondering if one of these would suffice for me to get my stereo signal from the Kemper into my DAW.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or possibly another way to do this without the need to carry an interface? Some of these gigs will be fly dates (including some time in Hawaii with several days/nights of downtime) so the less I have to take with me the better.

Thanks in advance for your help!