Merged Profiles

• I have made new profiles of my favourite amp. I like merged profiles best, so I also did a DI profile. And later, at home I made a "merged" profile like this:

1) I brought up the Studio profile and stored the cabinet as a CAB module.

2) I brought up the DI profile, dialled in the new CAB module and saved it.

It sounds great through my guitar speaker and through my studio monitors too. "Monitor Cab off" ticked in the Output section page 3/7. I am only irritated because during what I did there was never coming up the soft switch "merge Cabinet". Is this important?

And looking it up in the manual now I read that they recommend a completely different method using Copy/Paste:

From earlier times I remember that merged profiles were marked by an "M" somewhere. I can't find it. Or I don't remember well and there never was this "M".

I mean it sounds awesome right now. But I just want to be shure that I won't face any problems during next soundcheck on a larger stage.

Thanks for all your kind recommendations and help!

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• 1) I brought up the Studio profile and stored the cabinet as a CAB module.

At this point you've asked the Kemper to take its best guess as to precisely where the amp portion of the Profile ends and the Cab begins. It's very good at this, but it's not the same as creating a Merged Profile.

Even 'though the correct procedure is to bring the Cab menu into focus and hit "Copy" I can only assume that it's not the separated cabinet, as guesstimated in the aforementioned example (the one you took), that's copied, but the Studio Profile itself in preparation for Merging. As soon as you paste this to a DI Profile and hit "Merge Cabinet", the Kemper "numerically subtracts" this DI Profile from the Studio one you're pasting in order to achieve an accurate representation of the Cab component.

By saving the Cab from the Studio Profile, you in fact stored the guesstimated version, meaning that when attached to the DI Profile you ended up with just that - a DI Profile with a Cab attached (a guesstimated one in this case), just as you would when substituting any other Cab from your pool / Cab Preset list.

I hope I've got that right; it's not a strong point for me as I haven't done this myself.

• Ah! Thank you. I think I see the point.

Maybe later I will try to follow the exact merging procedure. Just wondering if I will be able to use the Studio Profile where I now took the CAB module from. As this was from an earlier session with the same amp.

But until then I am already happy with what it sounds like now.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Yes, you can still use that Studio Profile; nothing has been changed in it.

Ideally 'though, you should make a Studio and DI Profile in the same session, using the same mic positions and all settings (nothing changed) for both. That way when the Kemper subtracts the DI from the Studio Profile during the merging process, a more-accurate representation of the cabinet will result.

If you can organise another session, and if you're after the best-possible capture of your rig, as I think you are, then by all means do so and create those Profiles again.

If it's not practical to do this, just use the ones you have already; if your mic positions and settings for the Studio Profile were close to what they were for the DI one, the results could still be good; I just wouldn't count on it.

• Thank you both. I hope I never stop learning.

I think I will do another profiling session with the UNLEASH so that I can do it in my home. Just in order to learn as much as I can about the procedure. And then, later, I will organize a session in a studio. There is so much knowledge about profiling, that the studio engineers cannot help me because it is different than recording.

Especially EQing the profile before the refinement step seems to be crucial. And this is difficult to do when you are in the same room with the reference amp. At home I have a hole in the wall between my kitchen and the livingroom. But I have to tame the amp with the UNLEACH. That's not ideal, but good for a start. My last profiling I did in the rehearsal room of a friend. The amp runs free (without attenuator) but EQing was only through noise-cancelling headphones. (BOSE quiet comfort 35) Now all those profiles are a bit too bright.

www.audiosemantics.de