Gilmour Sound, G2, P2

• I'm smiling. :)

Been on the internet for about 12 years listening to "modelled" attempts at the Gilmour tone, keep in mind I'm an obsessive compulsive psychotic Pink Floyd "fanboi".

Your clip sounds better than anything I've previously heard...it smokes....great playing as well.

Keep your Floyd clips coming, I wanna hear them.

• Cheers, its sounds better in person than on recording.
    But im getting clicks in the profile currently, so thats why I cant release it yet, untill I solve these issues.. Might be a bad cable or something.. will have a bash again shortly see if I can make it a bit more acceptable

I'll upload this thread when its ready for all to download! :)

• I'm a psychotic fan of Gilmour and of his tones too 8o

I'm just trying to create some famous song tone with the kemper, it needs time, but I will post them as soon as I will ready to share with you!

;)

• Ha ha. Me too! I chase Gilmour tone like teenage boys chase girls. That's one of the main reasons I want to be able to model other stomps and get more flexibility in the KPA. Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with.

• I find the "Gilmour" tone chase very interesting.

A lot of guitarists chase the 'Gilmour' tone by buying a ton of pedals, various fuzz pedals, compressors, univibes, phasers, chorsus, etc, etc.
    I wonder what tone they're chasing, there are so many different Gilmour tones.
    Is it the tone on the original Time solo we're looking for, not even Gilmour himself gets that tone these days.
    Listen to the "Pulse" DVD, and listen to the original recording of the Time solo, completely different.
    Listen to Gilmour in the studio in the "Making of DSOTM" DVD, when he plays the Time solo in his studio and then the DVD cuts to the original, not even in the same ballpark.

We know Gilmour's tone comes from a Strat into a perfectly clean Hi Watt and his distortion comes from fuzz pedals and compressors.
    But watch the Roger Waters concert DVD and we have guys playing Les Pauls into completely different amps and they sound amazing.
    I've tried Gilmour patches from all the previous Pods and Tonelabs, etc, and they've always failed, they're too complicated and end up becoming a digital mess.

Now skip all the pedals and the Hi Watt amps and plug a Strat into one of the Mesa or Bogner Ecstacy Profiles on the Kemper and IMO it's closer to a Gilmour tone than a Hi Watt Profile with a bunch of pedals in front of it.
    The Mesa and Bogners seem to have this 'fuzzy' kind of distortion going on, they're almost like a clean amp with a mild compressor & fuzz pedal in front of it.
    Add some delay, a phaser or Vibe, or chorus, play along with the Time backing track and you're closer to a Gilmour tone than with a Hi Watt Profile and pedals....IMHO.

Seriously, try using a Bogner or Mesa Profile with a Strat for Pink Floydish soloing...they work.

• :D :D :D :D Spot on, Lance. When I was 16-17 I was playing PF with a Charvel 6, a stereo Peavey tube amp (with Chorus) and an Ibanez Distortion Charger....and was sounding glorious! I had the chance to play a PRS Santana III through a Mesa Mark I (vintage) and was sounding everything but not like Carlos, Lol! Use your ears when chasing sounds, not the literature on the artist's gear.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I completely agree on such advices, the best thing to do is always to use EARS to match a tone!

Reguarding me... I will use Hiwatt for sure, once I had the luck to have it profiled in a Kemper, but I will try at the same time others Amps and settings... ;)

Till now, I made some videos using the BOSS GT-10 and try to matching the Gilmour tone: if you are curious just click the link below ...

I hope with the Kemper to achieve those tones even better :rolleyes:

• There you go, excellent!!!

If you play the solos correctly like you do, the tone 'works'.

I'm definitely interested in the Gilmour rigs you come up with using the Kemper, I'll be looking out for them. :)

• :D :D :D :D Spot on, Lance. When I was 16-17 I was playing PF with a Charvel 6, a stereo Peavey tube amp (with Chorus) and an Ibanez Distortion Charger....and was sounding glorious! I had the chance to play a PRS Santana III through a Mesa Mark I (vintage) and was sounding everything but not like Carlos, Lol! Use your ears when chasing sounds, not the literature on the artist's gear.

The best Pink Floyd tone I ever achieved was using a MIJ Strat and a Vox Tonelab AC15 amp model. :D
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4271759

After listening to Maurizio play Floyd, I've decided to just wait for him to make his KPA rigs and I'll download them. :D

• I almost forgot about this,, I deleted the soundfile from SC. so its not available no more..
    But I did make a great preset.. still not quite finished.
    Im pally with Pete Cornish who has told me his signal chain and sent me a ton of pics of his rig/setup etc. - so thats how I was able to get close :)
    but the thing you gotta bear in mind with gilmour..

His sound is not regular sound.. its a collaberation of all sorts of mics and cabs.

Cornish pedalboard has a DI out that goes to a palmer(I think its one of those). - also 57's on the cab direct. - and he used rear mics a lot with openback. - this is what gets him his FAT tone. (I do this all the time now though.. stick a 121 on my openback) sounds crud on its own, but blended its great. and of course (stadium mics) or room mics also to blend..he runs in stereo (wet/dry rig) and of course His fingers! (this is a lot to do with it) - as he picked up McArtneys guitar.. and he sounded like gilmour still.. but McArtney picked up gilmours rig. and still sounded like McArtney....so personally I want to bid for his fingers!!!

He has modified Fane speakers in his Hiwatt too. that go down to 3k (standard were 5k) as he uses the DI mic to blend in the highs from mixer.
    This is not based on facts btw! as Ive never seen this in person.. but have chased his tone (and failed) long enough for folk who has worked with him to tell me whats what etc.. :) although they still hold things back..so there is still a few secrets that folk cant talk about!. grrrr!

I say my profile is very close.. the closest I ever had it before.. but sadly my fingers dont match his, so meh!.
    I'll finish that off soon and throw it up for you lot to RockFloyd!
    Peace.

• Wow. Great information and advice guys. I think half the fun is in the chase. Whenever I think I am close, the next night I feel like I am miles away. Is that real or perceived. I don't know. But it's fun playing with the combinations of sounds and pedals, and sometimes you find something totally new in there. Those are magical moments.

• Ok just uploaded 3 of the profiles I worked on.
    They still perhaps need some work.. but they are fun to play with.

Gilmour (Sorrow high gain) - play the intro to that and its pretty much exact!
    Gilmour Clean Shine. - Shine on you crazy diamond lead intro sound.. - adn then press chrous to add the melody parts.
    Gilmour Run, gilmours delayed fun with Run. adn his "open" chord sound.. thats the important part.

Play em, and see how ya like em :)