Factory Rigs Nomenclature Confusion

• Hello friends,

I am new to this forum, as well as completely new to KEMPER.

My following question might be easy for most of you, however, getting started with KEMPER's steep lerning curve I hope that someone can help me out here anyway.

So please be easy on me ;)

Browsing through the factory rigs I found tons of rigs coming with similar combinations of amps and cabs, however having subtly different nomenclature.

I am wondering about the difference, e.g. between (Author M.Britt):

- Masa Duo-Rec O 2

- Masa Duo-Rec O 2M

- Masa Duo-Rec O 4

- Masa Duo-Rec R 2M

Supposedly these profiles impart similar amp + cab (POV of the rig manager).

As I go back and forth between them and observing the LEDs on the KEMPER, especially the preset gains are different from each other.

And, of course, it also sounds different.

1) Are these profiles based on the same combination of amp + cab but profiled with different settings on the real amp?
    2) Does the nomenclature in the naming, e.g. the "O", the "R", the numbers with or without "M", impart special meaning (or does only MBritt himself know that)?

Even typing this post feels like I'm about to launch one of the most newby questions ever :/:rolleyes:

I'd be very grateful for help :):saint:

Thanks and greetings

Johnny

P.S.: feel free to "guide" me to the correct place in this vast forum, if I misplaced this question. Thanks for your help and patience!

• Welcome!

This is not a newbie question at all, because there is no standard naming convention. I read the description for the naming of these rigs on athe author's website:

1) Yes, same amp (Mesa Dual Rectifier) and cabinet. The name of the cabinet should be in the Cabinet section of the Rig.

2) O = the amp's orange channel, R = the red channel, and M = Merged Profile (as opposed to Studio Profile)

• Thank you for your research efforts, that helps a lot :)

So the numbers indicate different settings prior to the profiling process?

Means it is not the same and gives us sort of "take this profile where you've got more (preset) gain", since tweaking the gain on the KEMPER wouldn't quite lead to the same result?

• Welcome to the forum and have fun with your Kemper and with learning around it.

I totally agree with paults explanation. That's my experience as well. And you will find a lot of profile offerings (commercial as well as free ones and on the RigExchange) which recreate the sound of an amp (plus cab etc.) in slightly different combinations. Either settings on the amp or cabs or mic positions are slightly changed. The authors then typically try to indicate that in the naming with different numbers, abbreviations and so on. Sometimes tricky to find out what they mean and in good offerings you will often find a document which explains the respective naming convention behind it.

• Thank you for your research efforts, that helps a lot :)

So the numbers indicate different settings prior to the profiling process?

Means it is not the same and gives us sort of "take this profile where you've got more (preset) gain", since tweaking the gain on the KEMPER wouldn't quite lead to the same result?

Hi JFCatfish,

one important thing you have to keep in mind with profiles is the gain setting the profile comes with.

If the profile author leaves the gain unchanged, it is proportional to the original amplifier's when profiling.

If you chose a lower gain profile and then turn the gain up, it will sound more distorted, but this can only be a software estimation of how the original

amp would have reacted with the gain knob turned up. In fact, the amp had never been really pushed that far.

So I would tend to take a profile that comes with initial gain at maximum of what you will need and than turn the gain down to lower settings, this will give you the same effect as rolling down the guitar volume knob (without losing top end).

• Thank you for your insights! :)

From point of view of a beginner with the KEMPER, i.e. myself, you mention a very important aspect here.

This helps a lot, aside of the mere "naming confusion" I had, since I was "fooling around" with adjusting gain settings and comparing different profiles (same amp + cab still). This answers many many questions to come ;)