Reamping Problem...

• I'm trying to reamp a dry signal in Cubase 10 with Arturia Audiofuse. I connect the return Input from Kemper into my left output on the Audiofuse, the left main output of Kemper into input 1 on the Audiofuse, no more cables connected other than my speaker which connects into the right output of my Audiofuse.

As soon as i go to the Kemper input section and change i to return input reamp, i get a feedback... if i turn down the gain on my Kemper it goes away but so is the sound. whether i'm in the Cubase or not.

If i try to play the track while sending it to the correct output it does play it, but very noise, and if i turn up the gain on Kemper to get a good distortion sound, it feedbacks again.

Tried so many things for hours now... anyone got an idea what Im doing wrong?

• Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I also can not immediately see what is going wrong. Just my two cents: I do a lot of reamping with the Kemper and Cubase (Pro, 7.5-10). I see the Audiofuse has the ability to connect via SPDIF with the Kemper. That's the way I do it and it makes life easy and conveniant as the last A/D conversion is the one when the guitar goes into guitar in of the Kemper.

During the reamping I fully stay digital then which to my impression saves a lot of quality and prevents issues, e.g. in the levels and volume of the dry signal (which I by the way always record in parallel whenever guitars are tracked).

Maybe you should review the reamping guides for use with Kemper. At least there is very good one here in the forum (Step-by-step-reamping-guide). And I think I saw one on Youtube as well which was quite good.

• All the guides I've found are not with cubase, after a day of trying things i realised the feedback comes from my audiofuse program output being sent to the mains, when I dissable it cubase souunds the dry signal fine, so I think the problem is somewhere in the cubase configs which I'm trying to figure out. when I connect the headphones to my kemper it sounds the reamped signal good...

• Okay. Maybe you have accidentally created a feedback loop. Make sure that the track where you record the reamped signal is muted during the recording and monitoring of the live signal is not on (small loudspeaker symbol of the track inspector is set to off). And the track is not routed into the Kemper input again.

• Hi, Barak.

I use Cubase and reamp often. We use different audio interfaces but the concepts are the same, so hopefully this will translate to your Arturia. I'm not familiar with the device but I looked at the site and think the recommendations will work for you.

First, let's get the connections set up. In Cubase, bring up Audio Connections (F4 in Windows, if you're Mac you'll have to translate accordingly). On the Input tab, I have input 1 set to the Kemper output left (I record in mono) and name it Kemper Amp. That's my actual guitar sound. Input 2 is set for the Kemper direct output. I name that Kemper Direct. If I want to track both the actual guitar sound and the direct, I create two mono tracks in Cubase, assign track one to the input of Kemper Amp and track two to the input of Kemper Direct. Of course, you can do only one or the other if you like.

I have a Yamaha TF5 mixer as my audio interface, so I have more inputs and outputs than you as it looks like the Arturia has two inputs and two pairs of speaker outs. In my case, I have the normal stereo output in the Audio Connections that map to the outputs 1 and 2. The Yamaha has 8, so I create a third output in the Outputs tab of Audio Connections using output 3, and I cable that to the Kemper Return Input. I name that output Reamp.

I'm not familiar with the Arturia but looking at their website, you might be able to do something similar if speakers A and B both show up to be selected in Audio Connections. Assuming speakers A go to your speakers, you could create another mono output and assign it to speaker B, Left. Plug your cable (TRS -> XLR) into the Kemper Return Input.

You now have two inputs - 1 is your mono amp sound, 2 is your direct sound, which you can record to separate tracks. For playback, the actual amp sound on input 1 would go to your main speakers A stereo out like everything else in your song. For reamping, we'll be recording to this track. You'll set the output of input 2, your direct signal, to your newly created output that I named Reamp, which will go out of speaker B, Left to your Kemper Return Input.

On your Kemper, press the Input button (top left of the panel if it's a toaster) and set your Input Source to Return Input Reamp. Rewind your Cubase project to the beginning, arm input 1 for recording, and press record. You may need to adjust the input level going to the Kemper so that it matches the level that it gets from your actual guitar. If you do, make a note of that and then you can always quickly get to a good working level.

Your direct signal, in track 2, will be routed to the Kemper Return Input, the output of the Kemper will come back and be recorded on track 1. I'm not sure how the monitoring works on the Arturia, but you should be able to see the waveform being generated on track 1. You may need to turn on the Monitor button on track 1 (next to the record arm button) to hear it. I don't use that as my setup is a bit more complex than this example, but either way this should get your recording your reamped signal.

Once you're done recording, don't forget to go back into the Kemper and set your Input to wherever you have your guitar plugged in or you'll spend ten minutes swearing because you can figure out why you can't hear your guitar when you're playing it. Don't ask me how I know. :)

While the example I've given is reamping and recording a mono signal, you could record stereo if you like. I just means that you'd have to swap out cables back and forth on your input. Input 1 would always be Kemper Out L. Input 2 would either be Kemper Out R when reamping or just recording the amp, and you'd have to swap cables to your Direct output when tracking your reamp signal.

Hopefully you'll be able to take this example, translate it to your Arturia audio interface and successfully reamp. It's a lot of fun.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Thank you for the detailed explanation! I thought it's gonna be working like a plugin, that i can just play the dry track and listen to it or export it with the wet sound, took me a while to figure out i need to open a seperate channel and monitor or record it, but now i think it's working fine :)

• Thank you for the detailed explanation! I thought it's gonna be working like a plugin, that i can just play the dry track and listen to it or export it with the wet sound, took me a while to figure out i need to open a seperate channel and monitor or record it, but now i think it's working fine :)

Awesome! Glad I could help.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10