Question Regarding Profiling with 2 Mics

• Hello,

This my first post on the forum, but I have had my Kemper for over a year now and loving it more and more everyday!

I have been creating profiles with a single mic (SM57), and have been getting decent results. I've been wanting to try and play around creating profiles with 2 mics. I'm not expecting to create anything amazing since I've been reading a bit about how complicating it can be miking a cab with more than 1 mic, but I'd like to learn and experiment regardless. Anyway, I have a question which is probably the most noob question ever asked on this forum. Haha.

Obviously, since the Kemper has only 1 return input, I need to use a mixer. My question is regarding the proper way to run the mixer outs into the Kemper's Return. Every mixer I've ever come accross has a left and right channel, so what do I need to run those channels to the single Kemper Return? Is there a special Y cable, or do you run a single cable from the Left Channel, for example, and then use the pan knob and set it all the way to the left?

Sorry for the noob question, but I just don't want to make any mistakes that could damage gear. Thanks!

• Hi and welcome!

Not such a noob question as you might think man and you got the correct answer already by yourself as Andy_T-V already confirmed. So all good. Just my two cents here: The mixer gives you all the freedom to create the sound by carefully adjusting the amount of sound which comes from the two mics. That's another variable in the game besides mic placement and so on. Phase issues might be a problem then. Hard to spot sometimes. I often check that by looking at the visualization in my DAW.

Finally: I do use an older mixer for my monitoring set up. But that's a cheap one with rather lo-fi and colouring pre-amps so I would never ever want to have that one in my signal chain for profiling. Using my channel strip from SPL (just in a one mic configuration) adds nicely to the overall profile quality.

but I'd like to learn and experiment

Same here. So it is definitely always worth to just give it a try. Have fun!