Yamaha HS8S (subwoofer question)

• I have an unpowered toaster going through a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors. I'm thinking of adding the Yamaha HS8S (subwoofer) for kicks and giggles. I'm just looking to add some beefiness and fun to my sound when jamming...not concerned about mixing, recording, or anything like that. Does anyone have any experience with the subwoofer? Is it worth the $450 price tag when combined with a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors?

• Yamaha HS8S Features:

• 8" bass-reflex powered subwoofer delivers low frequencies down to 22Hz
    • 22Hz - 150Hz frequency response

Yamaha HS8 Active Studio Monitor Features:

• High-performance drivers and mounting system
    • 8" cone woofer, 1" dome tweeter
    • Impressive 38Hz to 30kHz frequency response

The sub would fill in from 22Hz to 37Hz, where the HS8's don't reproduce that low of a signal.

A friend that plays Bass, has the HS8's and the HS8S sub. If you play bass or like low kick drums, you'd appreciate the sub. For just guitar and drum tracks, HS8's are plenty, depending on your room.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 7 x64 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms
    Am Pro Strat HSS - AVRI '59 Strat - '50's & '60's Tribute Les Paul - Am Pro Tele
    Favorite FREE SC profiles: Hays, George_Alayon | Favorite FREE HB profiles: Diogo, Djemass

• Yes, I had one. It is quite tricky to set up the cutoff frequency and the levels. Depending on the room it can false you in the low end. I don't think you need it just for the guitars.

It can be fun rattling cutlery in the far kitchen, but the HS8 has way enough low end.

Of course if you use an 8 string guitar with F# tuning you may need it. But in that case it's easier to switch to bass :)

• I'm thinking of adding the Yamaha HS8S (subwoofer) for kicks and giggles

I guess it will do the trick for "kicks and giggles" but I would be VERY careful to use it for mixing or to judge other mixes. Subwoofers are tricky beasts, especially the ones that are "bass reflex only" designs. You won't get the low end transients right, as opposed to e.g. a Neumann KH 805. Obviously the Neumann is a different league, pricewise and regarding weight and size. But the difference in sound reproduction is HUGE.

So, just for the fun of a bit more low end rumble, the Yamaha will do ... but don't expect any good transients or definition in the low end. :)

Hope this helps

Martin