Save Performance to USB to transfer to another Kemper

• Sorry if it's out there somewhere. I searched but I haven't seen it anywhere and can't figure out if it's possible. Here's the scenario:

Bandmate and I both have Kempers. He doesn't have a generic "clean thru distorted" level-balanced Performance on his Kemper, just individual song preset Performances. I wanted to copy one of my "one size fits all" Performances to my USB at a gig to drop onto his Kemper to help him get thru tunes he didn't set up in advance. Is there a way to do this? All I see in the USB menu is: Backup everything, Export Rig, Export Preset. Nothing listed to just grab a Performance and go. I'm sure I'm missing something. Any wisdom would be much appreciated! Thanks!

-StumblinMan

(Gary)

• It cannot be done via USB memory stick, because the destination PROFILER wouldn't know which Performances should be overwritten. If your are importing Rigs and Presets these are always just added to the pile. But Performances have their fixed locations with fixed MIDI addresses and all Performances are prefilled. In Rig Manager you are able to determine the destination location for each Performance you paste e. g. Performance 96.

• Like with Rigs and presets an import could include multiple Performances. Let 's say you import five Performances from your USB memory stick. Let's assume you have four Performances in "New Performance" state - no Performance is ever unoccupied. Should the software then import Performances into New Performances 17, 59, 73, 124 and leave out the fifth Performance? And in which order should it select and process these Performances? And you will then search and find these as Performances 17, 50, 73, and 124? The import of Performances into the fixed Performances structure makes only real sense if you are in control of the destination for each.

• Like with Rigs and presets an import could include multiple Performances. Let 's say you import five Performances from your USB memory stick. Let's assume you have four Performances in "New Performance" state - no Performance is ever unoccupied. Should the software then import Performances into New Performances 17, 59, 73, 124 and leave out the fifth Performance? And in which order should it select and process these Performances? And you will then search and find these as Performances 17, 50, 73, and 124? The import of Performances into the fixed Performances structure makes only real sense if you are in control of the destination for each.

I’d be perfectly happy with that. I search through up to 1000 profiles to find a certain tone. That takes much longer than scrolling through performances. You’re acting like an arbitrary location is some sort of technological hurdle. It’s merely an inconvenience. Give the user the option to decide if they want to use it or not. Nobody is forcing them to use it, and in a pinch it might just help someone. If you have more performances to load than you have slots, then either load what fits and give an error message, or tell the user “There are X number of performances and only X number of slots. Please delete X number of performances on your Profiler and try again”.

As far as what order to load them, alphabetical never hurt anyone.

Now, I’m not sure if you’re just a forum mod or if you are actually involved with the product, but your arguments don’t hold water based on technology that is designed to give us choices. If there was some technical reason it couldn’t work, then I’d say “Oh, well dang. Ok!” and move on with my life, but saying “No, because arbitrary inconvenience rules!” and hand-wringing about locations and what to do if the available slots aren’t concurrent and sorting rules etc doesn’t seem like a legitimate barrier between what I’m asking about and why it “can’t be done”.

Sorry. Long post. Maybe I’m just cranky. Played a gig last night on a borrowed PA and didn’t have my in-ears. Don’t like the ringing in my head. Happy September! ??

-StumblinMan

(Gary)

• I also think it would be great to be able to import Performances via USB stick. I have two Kemper Stage units and the easiest way for me to keep them synced would be just using the import function in the usb menu and have it include Performances.

Like the post above said, just give an error if there are not enough slots. On our own units, I think we can manage to know what is on there already and what we are adding so it’s not hard to keep track of if they get put in performance slots away from each other on import.

• Make a Backup of one Stage, and Restore it on the other.

How long does that take compared with transferring a few files? Backup/Restore ain't quick on these things..

We aren't asking for the moon, just one more simple option. I was honestly gobsmacked that it wasn't possible already.

-StumblinMan

(Gary)

• Make a Backup of one Stage, and Restore it on the other.

Seriously? Not really an elegant solution.
    Just because things are the way they are does not mean they have to stay that way. Why are you so reluctant to a change for the better.
    I know the workarounds. I tend to stay well clear of Rig Manager in it’s current state after a few of my profiled amps completely disappeared. Fortunately, I had the missing profiles in a Performance. Hmmm, if only there was a quick way to get that Performance onto the other Stage.
    So yes, the only way for me to do it this time was by using Rig Manager. On the road, I don’t have my laptop with me. Just the two Stage units.

• So I was looking at how to do this - but I guess this thread answers my question.

Unfortunately one of the places I play at routinely has a Kemper on an older OS, and I don't want to force them to upgrade for no reason. But, because my Kempers are on the newer OS - I can't just hook up my Surface with Rig Manager to theirs. That's mildly frustrating.

• If your Rigs and Performances are stored under OS 7, the PROFILER with the older OS might be useless for you. It won't recognize that data because its format has changed. Old data is upwards compatible but new data isn't downward compatible. They should consider upgrading their PROFILER.

• I think it would be good to have a solution for this so a venue or backline company can provide a Kemper and all you would have to do is travel with a usb stick. I would think it would be a “no brainer” a lot of people are using them and soundguys love them.

• If your Rigs and Performances are stored under OS 7, the PROFILER with the older OS might be useless for you. It won't recognize that data because its format has changed. Old data is upwards compatible but new data isn't downward compatible. They should consider upgrading their PROFILER.

So this is my challenge with this - they're in a production environment. And while an upgrade may not hurt, we've had a multitude of relatively unstable releases since the Stage came out. It's not my place to put them at risk by having them upgrade just for my sake - I can understand why they're want to stay an on older, proven OS if it's generally working for them.

And while I'm generally okay with that, I agree with others in this thread - this should be a pretty easy functionality to have, if not through USB, then through backwards compatibility. The fact that USB isn't an option, plus Rig Manager won't connect despite the fact that it's literally the same platform, makes this a bit frustrating overall.

• Former software revisions cannot predict all functionality we add. So we can support upward compatibility but not downward compatibility under all circumstances. Exporting/importing Performances via USB-memory stick doesn't resolve that. But not knowing the concrete OS revisions involved, I'm not even sure there is any relevant compatibility restriction.

Why can't you export your Performances via your Rig Manager, store these on your USB memory stick, and import these from this USB stick via their Rig Manager onto their PROFILER? By doing so, you can avoid accidentally overwriting one of their production Performances with one of yours. Since every Performance has a fixed location and the number is limited to 125 import needs to be a managed process and that is possible via Rig Manager.

• I have to say: There is an urgent need for an import function of "performances only" on the Kemper Profiler device for live (and other Scenarios):

- because we need a PC/Notebook independent solution (the Kemper Profiler is already a computer!), especially for live purposes

- in the real "computer world" nobody does a backup and restore of the whole System to only copy or manipulate 1 (!) file

- the risk of failure when changing the Kemper configuration/OS is evident: Nobody wants to take that risk for exchanging only 1 file (eg)

- big time savings (5min+) with the 1st gen devices (PRack, .. )

- as long as eg PRack and Stage have different OS, backup and restore as solution and as no official recommendation, this fuction is highly needed

Please Burkhard understand and take this to the development Department/CEO: Also this is a matter of usability as i wrote to the CEO and the Kemper support several times. Designing the UI of an interface software development wise means that you develop programmed routines for each import scenario giving the user the possibility to interact and choose from (expanding the possibilities which are already given within the import function). A first simple step could be to provide an "import only" of performances when numbers on the Kemper Profiler are free (in relation to the amount of Imports), executed in chronologic order of free performances on the KP or otherwise provide "no Import". The move of performances is an easy job on the Kemper Profiler itself and the user would organize their performances according to that behaviour immediately. Later you can develop and deliver improved user scenarios.

Kemper Company: As Vinny Burns said, with other words: Be open minded to really necessery functions and proposals for making the device more useable as it is by today.

THX

• Former software revisions cannot predict all functionality we add. So we can support upward compatibility but not downward compatibility under all circumstances. Exporting/importing Performances via USB-memory stick doesn't resolve that. But not knowing the concrete OS revisions involved, I'm not even sure there is any relevant compatibility restriction.

Why can't you export your Performances via your Rig Manager, store these on your USB memory stick, and import these from this USB stick via their Rig Manager onto their PROFILER? By doing so, you can avoid accidentally overwriting one of their production Performances with one of yours. Since every Performance has a fixed location and the number is limited to 125 import needs to be a managed process and that is possible via Rig Manager.

In this case - they don't have a PC with Rig Manager to support them. Most guitarists come in and use what's on there - in my case, I just wanted to use my performance on their Kemper as opposed to hauling in my own gear.

If I want to see this through - I'll probably uninstall rig manager on one of my own laptops, install an older version of rig manager on said laptop, and then use it to try and connect to their OS, which is on OS 5.x. This is doable, but I'm not wholly understanding the response from you - I haven't seen a technical reason for why the Kemper can't allow me to import from USB and prompt me on which slot to import the performance into. Add on that, doing away with backwards compatibility on Rig Manager - and again, it's frustrating.

I'll be honest here - in and of itself, this would be a mild frustration and not a big deal. But when put into context with the Stage's release where we had to endure a multitude of releases before we got something that was stable (while being told the programmers were on vacation, so we should 'enjoy summer, be happy and play our guitars' right after dropping $1,700), it's becoming part of my broader frustrations with the Kemper system.

Between using a Toaster since 2016, and being an early adopter of the Stage, I've been pretty invested in Kemper, but if this is going to be the response going forward from Kemper.. then that's disappointing, to say the least.