How do I record silent DI track?

• Hey Guys,

I was curious to know if there is a way to record the DI track completely silent? In other words, as I'm monitoring/recording is there anyway to exclusively hear the spdif wet track while simultaneously capturing the spdif dry DI in the DAW? It's pretty distracting hearing the spdif R/L blended during the recording process.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

• This would be dependent on how your DAW and interface are set up. If you have a "virtual mixer" app (like the UAD Console), you should be able to do it there. If you monitor through your DAW, you should be able to mute the DI track in the DAW.

• Ok thanks, I know focusrite (I'm using the 6i6) has virtual mixer. I haven't tinkered with it yet as far as adjusting levels on spdif R/L's.

Is there a way to adjust the spdif R/L output levels within the KPA? Or would that compromise the quality of the DI track?

• Is there a way to adjust the spdif R/L output levels within the KPA? Or would that compromise the quality of the DI track?

That would affect the signal being sent to your DAW. As others have stated, you have to do this in your DAW or mixing software.

• Another option (potentially only if anyway available or useful for other use cases too) is an external mixer (hardware). I use a simple one in my monitoring path (actually not in the signal flow which is recorded in order to not compromise any quality). With the mixer I can easily dial in what I want to hear over my monitors, especially the balance between backing track coming from DAW and Kemper output (which I sometimes pan to one side in order to get a feeling how iit would sound later in the mix).

So SPDIF goes into the DAW and I listen exclusively to the main outs of the Kemper via my mixer.

• Thanks for all the input guys! Silencing the DI track was simply done by lowering the volume all the way to zero within focusrite's mixer console. Same recording quality, I just can't hear it during monitoring/recording/mixing which was my goal. Then I mute the track in the DAW so it's muted at all angles.

And yes, that's correct, spdif L/R to DAW = two separate tracks, one wet, one dry (DI). Next time I'll tinker more before posting here, I just get so excited talking shop with all of you.^^