Slight crackle when playing through interface/PC/monitors

• I have my guitar connect to front input of my powered toaster, SPDIF (IN/OUT)to focusrite saffire 24 pro, with two krks connected to the interface. Laptop is a mac. Normally play with ultra low latency so I can hear the signal directly from the interface rather than through the DAW.

THE CLOCK IS SET TO SPDIF ON THE INTERFACE.

Yet I still get the odd crackle when I am playing through the interface.

I have had the input on my guitar changed and bought a new lead for guitar to kemper.

Is it possible that the SPDIF might be noisy? I thought since it was digital it wouldn't make much of a difference. Is there such a thing as a better quality SPDIF cable or do they all do the same?

Or is there a grounding problem in the room? Cables to the speakers? Issue with the interface?

Obviously keen to find the source without having to replace every cable in the room so any help would be appreciated. Any tests you could suggest to help me find the source of the noise?

I haven't noticed this noise when running the kemper through my cab, but I only do that in a band scenario so maybe I'm just missing it.

• Seem like that is done already. Maybe try updating to latest version?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Edited once, last by musicmad ().

• Is it possible that the SPDIF might be noisy? I thought since it was digital it wouldn't make much of a difference. Is there such a thing as a better quality SPDIF cable or do they all do the same?

The old RCA cables one used for phono, CD-player and cassette hookup to our home-stereo systems will work, but I've found that for every foot in length you add, the risk of clicks and pops increases. Back in the day I used 3 or 4ft cables to interface with a digital desk and got away with it, but in most cases I'd say that unless it's a very-short run of a foot or two, you'd be playing with fire.

Obviously keen to find the source without having to replace every cable in the room so any help would be appreciated.

Just the two S/PDIF I/O cables between the Kemper and the 24 Pro will do; it's the most-obvious place to start before considering other possible causes IMHO.

No need to go esoteric, but any reasonable-quality cables sold as "for purpose" S/PDIF will tell you within minutes whether or not your current cable quality was the cause. I'm betting that this is all it is, David.

• This was happening to me yesterday and I tried everything I read, but none of it worked. When I turned my interface and kemper on and off again it fixed the problem.