A VHT, an Engl and a Diezel walk into a bar...

• ... But do they sound the same?

I've read that logic on these forums as well as others about how there's little difference between different high gain amps, so since I had some time on my hands today, I shot a video comparison.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The amps - a Sig:X, a Fireball 100 and a VH4 - were run through an Emperor 4x12 miced up with a Sennheiser E906 and a Townsend Labs Sphere set to a ribbon mic model in the same position.

Do they sound the same? Or can you hear a difference?

I also tried combining the different amps panned left and right to further test whether the amps indeed sound the same.

What do you think?

• Using the word, "Logic", and having the opinion that "all high gain sounds the same" is either the thoughts of someone with severe hearing impairment, a lack of appreciation for anything other than clean tones, or the overwhelming need to troll internet forums so they can regurgitate whatever the latest quip is to put down anyone who attempts to play rock or metal. While YMMV when it comes to LIKING a particular tone, the science alone speaks for itself that there are inherent auditory differences in the frequency spectrum alone which would account for more or less differences between high gain amps.

All that being said, thanks for putting together the vid. I'll take a peek/listen this evening... though I have no doubt that my ears will tell me they are as different as apples and lawnmowers. :)

Regards,

Jeffro

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• though I have no doubt that my ears will tell me they are as different as apples and lawnmowers. :)

I preferred the apple to the lawnmower, but that's just me.

Also,

A priest, a rabbi and an atheist walk into a bar. Bartender says, "What is this, a joke?"

Sorry. I'll see myself out... :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Sorry, Chris Duncan , I'm afraid that neither was the correct preference we were looking for. It was, somewhat suprisingly, "steam-powered marital aids" that was the only true preferential answer. Watch your naughty bits, kids... steam hurts. ;)

Jeffro

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Regarding OP these sounds remarkably similar I must say. Goes to show (once a again) how much guitars, speakers, and mic placement accounts for in the sound.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM