Recording Kemper into iPhone???

• I don't think so. The little stereo jack seems to be for headphones. On the iPhone this is an output, not an input. Besides that newer iPhones connect via lightning to external hardware. At least there's no headphone output on my iPhone 7.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Thanks for everyone's help.

I actually had an Apogee Jam laying around so I used it and it seems to do the job okay. I used a low-z to hi-z converter from the Kemper into the Apogee Jam and then went into the iPhone and iPad. It records from the Kemper now. It's not perfect though because the Jam gets overloaded rather easily...the signal level on the interface.

• I think the Apogee Jam (and the IK Multimedia iRig devices) is doing its own amplification in the device (with gain set by the rotary dial), so that's why you're getting an overloaded signal. It would be better to use a basic iOS-compliant interface to get a line-level signal into your portable device. If the Jam is working for you, great - otherwise, you could do a web search for "budget iOS audio interface" to see what's around. I have a Zoom U-44 that works well for this, it was on a half-price deal when I bought a while ago. The U-24 is similar, with less inputs & cheaper.

• I think the Apogee Jam (and the IK Multimedia iRig devices) is doing its own amplification in the device (with gain set by the rotary dial), so that's why you're getting an overloaded signal. It would be better to use a basic iOS-compliant interface to get a line-level signal into your portable device. If the Jam is working for you, great - otherwise, you could do a web search for "budget iOS audio interface" to see what's around. I have a Zoom U-44 that works well for this, it was on a half-price deal when I bought a while ago. The U-24 is similar, with less inputs & cheaper.

You know what? I think you are absolutely right! Much appreciated. Not sure why that didn’t occur to me. I need to find something inexpensive as I am saving up for a nice audio interface. The iPhone idea was just for quickly laying ideas down . I’ll look into the various options and report back.

Thanks again!

• Thanks for everyone's help.

I actually had an Apogee Jam laying around so I used it and it seems to do the job okay. I used a low-z to hi-z converter from the Kemper into the Apogee Jam and then went into the iPhone and iPad. It records from the Kemper now. It's not perfect though because the Jam gets overloaded rather easily...the signal level on the interface.

Why do you need the low to hi-z converter? Can you not just turn the gain down on the Jam to prevent it from overloading? I have recorded straight into iPhone GarageBand before from a cab sim pedal and it worked well, but haven't tried yet with the Kemper output.