Guitar Volume + Kemper Interaction Issue

• Hi all,

I'm having a weird issue when I try to roll down my guitar volume knob on different profiles.

For some profiles the guitar volume knob roll down works perfectly, lowing the volume gradually on the whole range from 10 to 0. For other profiles (more apparent on higher gain profiles), rolling down the volume knob does not produce a gradual decrease in volume. The volume is unaffected from 10 to 2 or 1.

Of course my first thought is I have weak or defective pots, but I am not sure.

I have 2 budget guitars, one with P90's (stock pickups) while the other I have upgraded with EMG's (all electronics are changed).

Both guitars have this issue with the EMG's being worse.

Anyone ever face a similar thing?

Thanks.

• That’s pretty normal behaviour for the Kemper and traditional valve amps. The volume would normally gradually decrease with clean and low gain tones. With mid gain tones rolling the guitar volume off would tend to clean up the sound first with little volume drop them gradually reduce the volume. However, for high gain tones there is so much distortion and compression happening that by the time the tone starts to clean up the guitar pot is almost off.

You can test this by using a single high gain profile and observing the way it reacts as you lower the gain knob on the Kemper.

• Hi, I've just experienced something similar and strange yesterday, even tough I'm aware of what you answered Alan. It was on the M.Britt profile of a Morgan SW50 called "MB more gain SW 2" if I remember well, and it is already installed on the kemper. This profile with my strat neck pickup is... WOW!! I have no words. The response to the pick dynamics is perfect, and I can change the volume pot, and get again a cleaner but still "WOW" sound. (in fact I passed the entire evening on "the wind cries mary" and "another brick in the wall" solo, to give an idea of what I liked. That was fine but suddenly i tried to play very very gently the strings, trying to get a few weak clean bluesy notes, you see, and there the sound was not at all what you'd expect from the behaviour of the profile the rest of the time (you can test it, it's very not beautiful). I can't imagine the real Morgan amp sounds like this when you play ultra gently the strings.

note : saying that, I have to mention that in the rig there was also a compressor and a screamer distortion already there if I remember well, and also a small delay+reverb that I've set to my taste, when it happened.

G.

• Yeah you maybe getting some interaction with the effects...another one to check is the noise gate.

TBH I don't back off the volume much now I just change slot with a different profile or different settings. This backing off really came from the limitations of amps with single channels and guitarists needing a wider palate. I do use coil tap a bit but bigger changes I programme is, its more accurate and quicker...that's just me..

• That’s pretty normal behaviour for the Kemper and traditional valve amps. The volume would normally gradually decrease with clean and low gain tones. With mid gain tones rolling the guitar volume off would tend to clean up the sound first with little volume drop them gradually reduce the volume. However, for high gain tones there is so much distortion and compression happening that by the time the tone starts to clean up the guitar pot is almost off.

You can test this by using a single high gain profile and observing the way it reacts as you lower the gain knob on the Kemper.

Thanks for the reply.

I have never played a tube amp before and wouldn't have expected something like this to be normal.

• TBH I don't back off the volume much now I just change slot with a different profile or different settings. This backing off really came from the limitations of amps with single channels and guitarists needing a wider palate. I do use coil tap a bit but bigger changes I programme is, its more accurate and quicker...that's just me..

I’m too old school for that ?

While the guitar volume trick obviously originated from the limitation of single channel amps, there is also a tonal difference (especially when paired with an old germanium fuzz) which makes riding the volume pot fun. The first part of the travel tends to deliver a thickening/thinning character change as it moves but after that it becomes more of a noticeable volume difference (other than very clean tones). Riding the volume is a bit like having a volume control and an OD pedal all in one control.

I very rarely ever use a volume pedal as I can’t be bothered but the volume knob is always just beside my pinky so it’s perfectly placed for quick changes no matter where you are on stage.

• Hi, I've checked my input noise gate, it was effectively set pretty high I don't know why... Anyway once lowered, the weird sound at very low volume/attack disappeared.

Thanks for the help everybody.

(Now I have a new favorite profile I'm in love with:love::love:. It's funny, I probably tried many times this profile before without noticing it was that good! )

• I’m too old school for that ?

While the guitar volume trick obviously originated from the limitation of single channel amps, there is also a tonal difference (especially when paired with an old germanium fuzz) which makes riding the volume pot fun. The first part of the travel tends to deliver a thickening/thinning character change as it moves but after that it becomes more of a noticeable volume difference (other than very clean tones). Riding the volume is a bit like having a volume control and an OD pedal all in one control.

I very rarely ever use a volume pedal as I can’t be bothered but the volume knob is always just beside my pinky so it’s perfectly placed for quick changes no matter where you are on stage.

Yeah I used to do this when I had a single channel Laney GH100L ( it has a clean ish setting but I think technically its 1 channel).. I used to play a tele with a Hotrails in it and riding the volume did exactly that...reduced gain for the first part of the travel but not volume. Conversely this was suggested as a way to boost for solos but of course it doesn't add enough volume. I had to resort to an eq pedal through the effects loop ( it was switchable to series).

I do sometimes use the volume pedal but mainly to bring notes in or fade out.

To me its too fiddly and with the slots, it sort of negates it all I feel.....its probably more because I can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time...or lazy ha :)

• The main reason I went for the KPA was exactly this guitar volume thing..

And I bet all my money that it is the first thing most guys who come from tube rigs will check..even if they don't test it "consciously" at first.And I mean not only the mid-gain and break-up guys of the "old school".

The electric guitar sound is all about the interaction/sweet spot of a good tube rig and the guitar volume/tone knobs.;)

• The main reason I went for the KPA was exactly this guitar volume thing..

And I bet all my money that it is the first thing most guys who come from tube rigs will check..even if they don't test it "consciously" at first.And I mean not only the mid-gain and break-up guys of the "old school".

The electric guitar sound is all about the interaction/sweet spot of a good tube rig and the guitar volume/tone knobs.;)

I don't use the tone knob either :)

You are totally right about the interaction, I just don't use it as much as I used to.

For me its more about the response to pick attack and difference when you dig in.

• I am highly convinced that specially guys like you should "return to the volume knob" since I know many very experienced players who at some point in time "lost it" and also lost some passion & obsession for the guitar.I know for sure that for me it is very important to return from time to time to this thing of using a one channel tube rig,one Strat or LesPaul and keeping my pinky on the volume knob of the guitar.This keeps my passion alive.Its so basic that I really have to "listen to the finest details" and all that counts are my vibrato,my expression in general until the point I always start to think "well..a little bit of reverb would be fine now.."..as a little bit of luxury like in the old days.This was everything our idols had back then.

Don't get me wrong..I also love,love,love the "ready rig" with tons of stuff and morphing which I know will sound always have the same good with my KPA.

Actually it is unbelievable what we can do now with the KPA.Best of both worlds and our decisions of " which way to go" can vary from day to day.Pure and basic or "wet multi channel/amp"..without the need to touch any knob and all in one tool.Amazing.:P

• I am highly convinced that specially guys like you should "return to the volume knob" .....

Yeah, I started getting back into Rory Gallagher as he uses tone and volume knob a lot. I think its because I have less time now and I'm doing covers which doesn't need too much of that..( 80's hair metal and The Cult tribute).

As I said I still feel connected because I control much of the dynamics with pick attack which has a similar effect. Sometimes I even select the neck pickup :)