Do you use post or pre EQ's often?

• With Helix, Amplifire and Axe FX I used almost always EQ Blocks to tame some frequencies and also did hi/low cuts...

Now with Kemper I actually feel, that there isn't as much nasty frequencies present, that I'd need to cut. Also hi/low cuts doesn't seem to be necessary. I'm speaking about profiles in general. Of course there are profiles, that are very boomy for example, but for the most part I feel that Kemper profiles are much pleasing sounding, than other units Amp sims I have had.

How about you? Do you usually use EQ with Profiles?

Gear: Kemper Profiler | Neural DSP Plugins
    Guitars: .Strandberg*

• I do. I mostly play a semi-hollow baritone with big strings in drop A, and I find I find it very helpful to be able to notch out some stuff down low. Much better than turning down the bass knob to control it.

You're tuned pretty low, aren't you? I noticed you didn't seem to have any issues at all with the low end in that video you posted. Also lower gain, which helps a lot.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• I do. I mostly play a semi-hollow baritone with big strings in drop A, and I find I find it very helpful to be able to notch out some stuff down low. Much better than turning down the bass knob to control it.

You're tuned pretty low, aren't you? I noticed you didn't seem to have any issues at all with the low end in that video you posted. Also lower gain, which helps a lot.

Yeah, I like low tunings. I have EAEADGBE on that Strandberg Boden OS8 and it has worked well without EQ tricks so far.

Gear: Kemper Profiler | Neural DSP Plugins
    Guitars: .Strandberg*

• Yeah, I like low tunings. I have EAEADGBE on that Strandberg Boden OS8 and it has worked well without EQ tricks so far.

Yep, that's low lol. Well, sounds awesome man. What are your string gauges like on that thing?

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• I have a feeling a lot of these commercial profiles are EQ'ed at a very loud stage volume...hence mud at lower volume. My stage volume is only loud enough for me to hear myself, no more. I need to look into more post amp EQ as it can really make a difference.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I have a studio eq in D slot that adds some low mids for beef and I further adjust from time to time depending on the venue and how my sound sits. Not a fan of changing eq for solos, I like to cut through the mix the whole show not just during solos :)

• Always. Every single time. When it comes to recording a riff and not just noodling with a new preset pack or something, it immediately becomes necessary. Especially for high gain presets. At least HP-LP filters at effect section plus the amp-EQ.

I use pre EQ too to clean the low-end and sometimes boost a little the mids before the amp. (Its not the same like putting a clean booster)

This is interesting because many presets sound good at first, especially if you play with for at least 8-10 minutes. Then you record it, listen to it and oh, it's very sharp, or a lot of the bottom, the walls are "shaking" when I damp.

Edited 3 times, last by balazs ().

• Booyah is spot on...

I use an EQ which is morphing higher mids as a volume boost strategy for live.

An EQ shift sounds kinda "odd" in isolation (with no band) but the lead tone when I listen back to live recordings with a band know no equal...