Transpose Lag?

• Do any of you feel that the lag can sometimes be quite obvious in certain situations when using transpose for chords and stuff.

Sometimes it’s okay, but other times I can find it quite unnerving. Does anyone else have any experience of this or advice?

• Yes, I do, but thats the nature of transposing, even the drop pedal has a little,lag, little but there,you would think that with color pix coming back from Pluto, we would be able to transpose a guitar without lag, but,,, not yet,

• It is clear when using a clean sound, but quite manageable for distorted guitar. Both lead and rhythm work for me, although less latency would be ideal.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• ...you would think that with color pix coming back from Pluto, we would be able to transpose a guitar without lag, but,,, not yet,

They may be getting pictures, but there is a tremendous amount of lag for them to get here (42 minutes)! So, the transpose lag really isn't so bad in this context.8o

• Maybe better to transpose normally or a capo for cleaner stuff then...

I think most people using transpose are doing so in a live environment and wish to carry less guitars. A capo cannot help you in going down and I have never considered it on electric guitar.

Karl

• Yes there is lag but as said above if you can hear the "normal" guitar you will notice it more, plus dissonance . When its loud enough you can compensate.

My view is:

1) its useful for the occasional song - more than a few and I prefer a detuned guitar. BTW for dropped D I use a quikkey, its brilliant!

2) It's laggy but no more laggy that a drop pedal in my experience, so there is no perfect solution out there.

• Yes there is lag but as said above if you can hear the "normal" guitar you will notice it more, plus dissonance . When its loud enough you can compensate.

My view is:

1) its useful for the occasional song - more than a few and I prefer a detuned guitar. BTW for dropped D I use a quikkey, its brilliant!

2) It's laggy but no more laggy that a drop pedal in my experience, so there is no perfect solution out there.

1) Agreed. I use it on one whole song and a couple of section that do not involved quick riffs, so probably that is why I am comfortable. I used to use the Pitch Key too before I got Evertune, if that is what you mean? Great invention and very cheap.

Karl

• 1) Agreed. I use it on one whole song and a couple of section that do not involved quick riffs, so probably that is why I am comfortable. I used to use the Pitch Key too before I got Evertune, if that is what you mean? Great invention and very cheap.

Yep, Pitch key, I can never remember what its called!!

We do a few songs in D ( some Motley Crue stuff) so I use a different guitar. I did use transpose for a while and it was perfectly acceptable ( no one noticed)...

• I think most people using transpose are doing so in a live environment and wish to carry less guitars. A capo cannot help you in going down and I have never considered it on electric guitar.

Sure you can’t go down, but we have a female singer so it’s pretty much always ‘can we bring this up a bit’. So using a capo is a quick and easy way to see if it works. Nothing wrong with it.

• Nothing wrong with a capo. But I've used Transpose with plenty of success, going - or + 1 or 2 semitones. I like it in the A slot with Pure Tuning on. It aligns the harmonics.

Ah okay I didn’t realise you could put it in a slot like that. I’ve just been adjusting it in the rig settings.

• it is physically impossible to do a transpose FX without any lag as the processor has to sample the vibration of the string (usually 2 full cycles I think) in order to determine the original pitch. Even though processing for the transpose function can get better and faster it is still never going to be possible to get rid of the lag completely. Of the process was literally instant there would still be a lag for the pitch sampling. This gets longer the lower the pitch. I expect people playing high solos would find it almost imperceptible but folk playing metal in drop A would find it much more problematic. I’m not thinking totally straight just now but drop A would be 55HZ so I think one cycle would be about 18ms ?

• it is physically impossible to do a transpose FX without any lag as the processor has to sample the vibration of the string (usually 2 full cycles I think) in order to determine the original pitch. Even though processing for the transpose function can get better and faster it is still never going to be possible to get rid of the lag completely. Of the process was literally instant there would still be a lag for the pitch sampling. This gets longer the lower the pitch. I expect people playing high solos would find it almost imperceptible but folk playing metal in drop A would find it much more problematic. I’m not thinking totally straight just now but drop A would be 55HZ so I think one cycle would be about 18ms ?

10ms when recording is passable for me. I don’t really notice it. after that it becomes concerning. 18ms is a lifetime of lag!