Assistance dialing in a Fender-style Spring Reverb unit?

• I've been struggling getting a Fender-style reverb sound for my clean tones. A member of TGP pointed out that the effect needed to be placed before the amp. That made alllll the difference. I'm close but not quite there. Does anyone have settings for a Fender outboard reverb effect that would go before the amp?

• Hi Paul,

Yes - they are better than the legacy spring model. And as I said, way better in front of the amp. However, sitting next to my real spring reverb, they sound a little odd. I've noodled with the settings and haven't been able to figure it out.

Lance

• Hi Paul,

Yes - they are better than the legacy spring model. And as I said, way better in front of the amp. However, sitting next to my real spring reverb, they sound a little odd. I've noodled with the settings and haven't been able to figure it out.

Lance

To be fair, listening to the amp in the room against a profile likely will never sound the same. Almost always apples-to-oranges.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Hi Paul,

Lance

Since you still have a Fender Reverb - have you tried connecting it to the front of the KPA or putting it into a Stomp FX loop, and then A/Bing it with the KPA reverb to get as close as possible?

• Done that. The two are very similar. However, the Fender unit's drip fits better with the original signal. I've tried pulling down the droptone on the Kemper but it just sound more muddy.

• since you are trying to emulate the sound of a combo amp with built-in reverb and not a spring reverb into a amp setup, I'd say that placing the Spring reverb behind the STACK section would actually be closer.

Yes, the spring reverb on the amp obviously goes through the power tubes, but unless you are playing with insane levels, the effect (compression, saturation) of power tubes is often greatly exaggerated, especially by people who never owned the real thing and don't know what kind of volume levels it would take to make a Twin 'sag'.

The spring reverb of the PROFILER is actually based on a Fender spring reverb, but different models from different eras use different designs, mostly Accutronics, but the number and length of the springs used can vary quite a bit.

Nevertheless, the PROFILERs Spring reverb is very flexible and I'm sure you can tweak it to your liking.

I recommend to set the reverb on the amp to maximum, listen for it's characteristics and try to emulate this with the PROFILERs spring reverb.

Reverb all the way up on the amp does however not automatically mean 100% wet reverb, so keep this in mind.

Then there is the issue of 'amp in the room' vs. mic'ed. Or 'home tone' vs. 'pro tone' ;)

To make a fair comparison, you'd have to place the amp in another room, mic it, make a Profile of it (without reverb of course) and then dial up the reverb on the amp while A/B'ing the amp against the Profile with the added Spring reverb of the PROFILER.