Commercial profiles ownership

• Only the purchaser is the legal owner.

If he or she sells his or her Kemper with the Profiles installed and retains no copies for him or herself, that's perfectly-fine.

IOW, you can sell them once provided you don't keep copies for yourself. That way it's no different from selling anything else you own 2nd-hand.

• In most cases, it's a license that is only granted to the original purchaser and can't be transferred through sale of the profiles or as part of the sale of the Kemper.

For example, right at the bottom of the page at the ToneJunkies site is the following:

You are purchasing a license to use these profiles for your own personal and/or professional use but profiles are not for resale or any other unlicensed distribution, free or compensated.

The exact same wording is at the bottom of the Selah Sounds web site and on Michael Britt's site. I'm sure if you looked, you'd see this sort of disclaimer on all of the commercial sites.

• I hate "it's a license". No If I buy something it should be mine and nothing else. I don't go to a physical shop and buy a licensed guitar am I? But as soon it's on the net it's a license. BS! That doesn't mean I share with others. Since the day of the cassettes this discussion of sharing has existed. Record Co's wanted to stop the cassette becuase ppl could make copies and give away to friends and record from the radio. And that was what we did. At least we who are old enough. We didn't see any problem with that. The same with CD's. And then mp3 came and the record Co's wanted to stop it and suddenly those that used to share cassettes and CD's were against sharing mp3's. Just becuase it was on a computer and the net? Oh well just som sunday rant from me. ||

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Comparing physical products to digital products is irrelevant as there is something physical that can be transferred when selling. If there is a simple way to ensure that you could actually transfer ownership of these products to another person, there would be a way to sell the license. You see this in many software based products that are attached to online accounts. For example, I sold my software based DAW to another person and the company had a simple way of transferring the license because it was built into the product. Line 6's Helix Native PC based modeler works the same way...you can sell it because the software has license verification built in and only one person can own that license.

IRs, profiles, presets, and music have no simple way to verify ownership. Therefore, they're licensed with these clauses because you can make unlimited copies that are exactly like the original and completely untraceable. Without such licensing, the original artists/producers have no incentive to sell their products.

• It’s yours to use. It’s not yours to give.

Cassettes could be copied, but the record companies didn’t care much for several reasons. One, a cassette copy was *never* as high-quality as the original. Subsequent generations get worse and worse. Cassettes also deteriorate with every play. Even the originals. Even faster than vinyl. They don’t store long-term all that well, either.

CDs do not deteriorate. Effectively, they are perfect copies of the original. Copies of copies don’t deteriorate. Profiles are like this.

MP3s are compressed copies, but when free no one cares. Napster proves that. They do not deteriorate with subsequent generations.

Add the loss of physical copies and you redefine absolutely everything. Had DRM been simple and effective (of which it was neither), licensing wouldn’t be an issue. Copies could be regulated.

To not have a license and a means to enforce it means we go back to Napster. One commercial copy can be shared as much as anyone wants with no fear of consequence.

You can still share now. But with a license, you run a risk. As well as the moral question of giving away something that truly wasn’t yours to give.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I hate "it's a license". No If I buy something it should be mine and nothing else. I don't go to a physical shop and buy a licensed guitar am I? But as soon it's on the net it's a license. BS!

As long as it can be copied digitally, it needs to be licensed. Digital products generally get licensed - has nothing to do with the "net". With physical products, it's easy: you have it, you can use it, you sell it, someone else can use it. With software / soundware it's different: you have it, you sell/share a copy, you still get to use it - problem for the creator. That's why with digital content, you generally buy a license to use it - the original creator retains ownership.

That's the way things are in the digital world - if you don't like it, buy a "classic" amp. No more licenses...

• That's the way things are in the digital world - if you don't like it, buy a "classic" amp. No more licenses...

I have to accept it as it is. Do I have to like it? Hell no. Don't tell me what to do or not. I didn't ask for you opion about that did I? X/

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau