Kemper does Amp In The Room (video clip)

• I think I really made a good move when I upgraded from the unpowered Kemper to the powered version.

Playing through my EVM12L-equipped Thiele cabinet, it just seems that the sound is so present and full. Definitely an in-the-room sound, though a bit more high definition than a traditional amp. That still comes across beautifully and hangs well with just about any 4x12 I can think of (given that it's a 200-watt speaker).

Comparing the sound to my studio monitors, I feel that FRFR seems to add a certain brittleness to the profiles given that it reproduces all frequencies. Or maybe brittleness is the wrong word: it just seems that the high frequencies seem to add a harshness to the tone.

A guitar speaker on the other hand only reproduces a certain range of frequencies before sharply dropping off in the high end and low end. That makes it sound remarkably warm and full-bodied.

It really makes me have high hopes for the Kemper Kabinet. I would really love to be able to see what a full-range guitar-oriented speaker would sound like.

The EVM12L is great, if only a bit more limiting in terms of profile differentiation since it adds its own colour. I can definitely say that I wouldn't mind sticking with it if the Kabinet turns out to be extremely expensive.

EDIT: Here's a video.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Comparing the sound to my studio monitors, I feel that FRFR seems to add a certain brittleness to the profiles given that it reproduces all frequencies. Or maybe brittleness is the wrong word: it just seems that the high frequencies seem to add a harshness to the tone.

A guitar speaker on the other hand only reproduces a certain range of frequencies before sharply dropping off in the high end and low end. That makes it sound remarkably warm and full-bodied.

I've never even heard an FRFR cab up-close, AJ, but harsher highs, at least, more-brittle than studio monitors, is exactly what I'd expect. There are many reasons for this, amongst them being the FRFR-design's focus on delivering SPL's as a higher(!) priority than when it comes to their studio counterparts, where a flattish response is paramount and consideration #1.

The tech and designs used for studio monitors would have to be more precision-oriented, you'd think. Also, the engineering considerations and design that go into dispersion might come into play, as well as more-precise-and-linear crossovers, better slew rates for the built-in amps, more-accurate transient handling of the drivers and so on.

I agree that the more band-limited response of conventional guitar speakers is a blessing in disguise in this regard too.

• The only downside I found with Guitar cabs is it makes the profiles similar.

As I've mentioned many times, I started with guitar cab that I would mike up. When I tried to go direct it sounded horrible.

Turned out that my cab was smoothing things out so much, it was hiding duff profiles. I had to get an FRFR cab to get the direct sound first before I could go direct FOH.

In other words, for live use FRFR is the closest to what is FOH, so I prefer it. I do miss my 4x12 though :)

• I love running powerhead throught my 412 still. Although I do use an FRFR as a monitor at times. But from low home practicing volumes to gig volumes, I prefer my cabinet. It just feels and sounds right to me.

• Playing through my EVM12L-equipped Thiele cabinet, it just seems that the sound is so present and full. Definitely an in-the-room sound, though a bit more high definition than a traditional amp. That still comes across beautifully and hangs well with just about any 4x12 I can think of (given that it's a 200-watt speaker)

I'd like to be able to check out such a cab. :)

• Here's a demo of the Kemper through the EVM12L with a clean, high gain and crunch profile.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Really is Amp In The Room, I'm thrilled!