So I met this quite famous guitarist....

• ...yep. That'll be me and Paul Gilbert.

Attended his gig in Reading, UK, and I was the only VIP - so I basically spent 2 hours with him at soundcheck, and got a 30 minute lesson from him. Very, very nice bloke! However, when I asked him about the Kemper, his face kind of creased up.... turns out he's not a huge fan after all as he's not into technology and prefers using his amps direct.

And my word, the guy can play the guitar!

• I thought he was quoted as saying he had profiled his whole amp collection after being so impressed. I guess musicians are constantly changing their minds of gear:-)

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I thought he was quoted as saying he had profiled his whole amp collection after being so impressed. I guess musicians are constantly changing their minds of gear:-)

Exactly - that's what made me ask him how he found it.

For anyone interested - he goes into a clean-ish JMP with 4 (!!!!) OD pedals, including a prototype JHS pedal. He typically only has one or two on at a time.

• From everything I have ever seen of Paul, it doesn't surprise me how accommodating he was with you. Did you end up playing his Iceman?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Awesome! THE man! Was always inspired to play by Paul from an early age, and used to try & copy his solos from TAB books. gave that in though when I realised my fingers were about an inch too short for the fingerings! developed my own style though, cos I tried to play them by 'tapping'! \m/ \m/

• Wow, that is so cool. He comes across as such a nice dude, nice you had that confirmed.

I always wondered why he wore fully covered headphoes rather than IEM's, there's the answer...

• I met him too, a couple of years back. Super cool guy! Amazing guitar player. He told me back then that he liked the Kemper, but didn't like playing it at gigs, as the Remote was way too small for his massive feet and he kept stomping on the wrong switches. Oh well.

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I met him too, a couple of years back. Super cool guy! Amazing guitar player. He told me back then that he liked the Kemper, but didn't like playing it at gigs, as the Remote was way too small for his massive feet and he kept stomping on the wrong switches. Oh well.

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That's a lame excuse - I use the remote, and as you can see in the pics, I'm bigger than he is ;)

• I’m delighted to hear Paul is as nice a guy in the flesh as he always appears to be on camera.

An absolute giant of a guitarist (boom tish). One of the few 90’s shredders I still listen too.

Aprat from his incredible technique and approach, its his willingness to share that amazes me...

• Aprat from his incredible technique and approach, its his willingness to share that amazes me...

All giants have this..this fear that any thing of real value could be lost!;)

Though many old blues based players of the old school looked down on shredders like Paul..most of these 80s shredders (with exception of malmsteen maybe..^^)indeed always loved to share.All the old school blues based guys..not so much..strange,huh?:/

Paul is a great guy.Has always been..

• All giants have this..this fear that any thing of real value could be lost!;)

Though many old blues based players of the old school looked down on shredders like Paul..most of these 80s shredders (with exception of malmsteen maybe..^^)indeed always loved to share.All the old school blues based guys..not so much..strange,huh?:/

Paul is a great guy.Has always been..

Malmsteen likes to share.....how brilliant he is..instead of explaining what he is doing, he just goes " I do this"...:)

You are right some Blues players don;t but I think that's a generational thing. Of all the videos I've seen of Rory, no-one really asks " how do you play xxxx".

I used to be in Whitesnake tribute band and I played all the Micky Moody stuff....I couldn't find anything on line for his technique, but then I don;t think he was part of the youtube generation..

• What's great too about Mr. Gilbert is the fact that he changed his style pretty radically for trying to reinvent himself and make something new. Not so many players on this planet who did this as well, I think. Gary Moore comes to my mind...

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Indeed this must be a generational thing..

@V8

Moody & Marsden have always been my favourite "dual players" of all rock bands ever..I can sing every note of their lead stuff,their melodies are hammered into my ears since I was a kid..and both with unique vibrato/bending skills..

What I liked most with them was that both used the Dorian mode very nicely for playing all these blues stuff in a very nice melancholic way in many,many songs like ain't no love or blind man etc..fantastic music..<3