Remote not working since update.

• Since I downloaded 7.0.8 and now 7.0.9 My remote hasn't been working. This has never been an issue until this update. While the Kemper rack boots up, all the remote lights will get really bright and then flash off. It will do this a few times and then stay off. While the lights are on the remote says performing power test. The other day while I had 7.0.8, I rebooted about five times then the remote stayed on. When it did, it said performing update. Today I saw that 7.0.9 was available, so I downloaded and installed it, hoping it would solve this problem. It didn't. This never happened before these updates. I have tried different ethernet/con cables. I don't even plug anything directly into the Kemper, I have a patch panel that I connect everything to in a rack. I also plugged directly into the Kemper and that still did not resolve the problem.

• I did open a support ticket and just got a response and I am going to try a few things suggested. But as I said, the remote was working perfectly immediately before and up until the update. It’s not the cable as I tried 3 different cables.

• It doesn't seems to be a software bug as most people (including myself) updated without issue wheres a bug would have affected everyone or at least a proportion of users.

Are all 3 cables Kemper stock or just standard Cat 5 cable? I know the POE in the KPA has a power limit that is affected by the length and gauge of the wire.

If it isn't working with a Kemper approved cable it sounds like it could be hardware. I hope not but even it if is most people seem to report Kemper Support as being excellent so fingers crossed.

• I just took a look at the remote ethercon connection with magnifying goggles and noticed a tiny thin dog hair and sprayed it out with compressed air and plugged in a short ethernet cable and the remote came on. I then plugged it in the way I normally do into the patch panel and the longer 10 meter ethercon and it came on for a while then the remote shut off. I plugged the shorter cable back in and it turned on again. I wonder since this always worked before the latest update and I know the longer the ethercon cable is good. Does the update maybe send less power to the ethernet port? I just ordered a POE from Amazon. I will have it tomorrow. I hope this is resolved!

• Apologies, I opened a new thread for the same issue. Just saw the previous posts. My note to support is included below. Seems like exactly the same issue.

Hi all,

I have been running v 5.7.8 of the Operating System for the past few months with no issues (Power rack & Remote). This morning I upgraded to V 7.0.9.

• My Kemper Powerhead appears to operate perfectly (I love the new Power Boost feature that indicates output watts!)
    • My Remote starts to cycle through the booting up process (lots of flashing lights)
    • The last message I receive is "Performing Power Test"
    • The remote then goes dead

Any assistance would be much appreciated. (I will open a support query).

Cheers!

Paul

• I have copied this from my 'parallel' thread.

Very strange ...

I tried using the Original Kemper Ethernet cable that came with the remote and the remote now works ok. (I have been using a 3rd party Ethernet cable for my home setup and the original Ethernet cable for practice/gigging). The 3rd party cable has worked perfectly before the upgrade.

Is there a specific type of Ethernet Cable that is "approved for use with the Kemper" that can be bought from a commercial outlet? If so, what aree the specs? I cannot locate a vendor that sells "Original" Kemper Ethernet cables.

Cheers!

Paul

• I just took a look at the remote ethercon connection with magnifying goggles and noticed a tiny thin dog hair and sprayed it out with compressed air and plugged in a short ethernet cable and the remote came on. I then plugged it in the way I normally do into the patch panel and the longer 10 meter ethercon and it came on for a while then the remote shut off. I plugged the shorter cable back in and it turned on again. I wonder since this always worked before the latest update and I know the longer the ethercon cable is good. Does the update maybe send less power to the ethernet port? I just ordered a POE from Amazon. I will have it tomorrow. I hope this is resolved!

Jon9max,

Check out my thread on the same issue. In my case, it was definitely the 3rd party Ethernet cable causing the issue after updating to v 7.0.9. The remote works fine with the "Original" Kemper Ethernet cable.

I guess not all Ethernet Cables are created equal ...

Cheers

Paul

• I don't have the original cable on hand. I loaned it to the other guitar player in my band to try to hash out a problem he has with his booo"helix"booo. For gigs I use a high quality Ethercon cable 30+ feet that is connected to a patch panel on the back of my rack.Never had a problem with it. Got the POE today and mounted it in there, remote works like a charm and comes on much faster too. So I hope this is all good now.

• For gigs I use a high quality Ethercon cable 30+ feet that is connected to a patch panel on the back of my rack.Never had a problem with it. Got the POE today and mounted it in there, remote works like a charm and comes on much faster too. So I hope this is all good now.

glad to hear you have it working now.

That is the expected behaviour so it looks like it wasn’t a problem with the update and you should have no need to worry about the issue reoccurring. Kemper have been explicit for as long as I can remember thst they do not recommend using a patch panel or long cable unless you add a POE as the inbuilt unit isn’t designed to supply enough juice to work that way.

• I got my kemper earlier this week and the remote was working fine. Downloaded new os and it began acting strange - powering on slower. The next day I turned it on and same thing as was described above happened to me. The lights will rise on then go dark, then about 10-20 seconds later (it varies) it usually comes on but the display is blank. It controls the profiler just fine but there’s just nothing on the display. Downgrading to os 6 didn’t help. I emailed Kemper and followed the suggestions but my remote is still blank ☹️

• To check that the fault is not with your Remote, try changing to a different Ethernet cable. Preferably a short (6 foot) CAT.5e. I found that all the short Cat.5e patch cables I had at home worked (but not all the long cables). Maybe, length of cable is an issue for the remote (if the cable isn't exactly as specced by Kemper).

Like you, my long cable worked fine up until I upgraded to v7.0.9.

I note that with this version, the power up sequence for the remote is quite different, with nothing happening with the remote until my Power Rack is almost fully booted up, then the Remote boots up.

It would save a lot of trouble if Kemper sold or recommended a specific brand of Ethernet Cable.

• I have not had the problem with remote not working, but the boot sequence seem to have changed. In the past my profiler (unpowered head) would fire up POE to the remote early during boot resulting in the remote completing its boot-sequence first and sit waiting for the KPA to get ready. Now there is no power provided to the remote until the main unit is up and running.

Maybe this is an attempt to speed things up as it always have taken 20-30 seconds for the remote to get attached once both units are ready probably due to periodic retries to reconnect, but it isn't the best approach. The most efficient method is to implement a broadcast-listener on both units and have them both broadcast its presence once they are ready. Then the unit that is ready first will immediately be notified when its peer is available and thus able to initiate immediate connection. It should only be a matter of milliseconds before the connection is established once both units are up and running, not 10s of seconds.