Touring with just a USB stick

• So, I'm about to leave for a tour in Japan and the backline company is providing a Kemper and remote (well, two actually, as a backup)... so all we are bringing is a few redundant copy USB thumb drives with my backups on them.

Is there something I need to know, or to worry about?

Will it matter if their Kemper OS is different?

People tell me they just bung in the memory stick, do a Restore from Backup, and are good to go.

any experiences or hints?

thanks in advance!

• Both Kempers must have the same OS installed. The OS is not included in a backup. I've just read both information in the german sub forum (from an admin).

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Respectfully have to disagree with IEM for the future - too many (myself included) tinnitus sufferers out there.

The ambience atmosphere can never be realistically captured in headphones, imo ....

• Respectfully have to disagree with IEM for the future - too many (myself included) tinnitus sufferers out there.

The ambience atmosphere can never be realistically captured in headphones, imo ....

The point is, the ambience atmosphere in FOH position gets turned into an undefined mud by spill and reflections from stage monitors and guitar amps. Who's sound experience is the most important: yours or your audiences?

• Seriously, I believe in the future when big shows will be even more "events" and "happenings" as they are now when you purchase a ticket you’ll get a decent pair of inears plus and app that will enable you as a customer not only how loud you want it to be but also what kind of mix you want: more drums, more guitar, more vocals, etc.

The customers' experience will be finally customizable.

It will come.

• Seriously, I believe in the future when big shows will be even more "events" and "happenings" as they are now when you purchase a ticket you’ll get a decent pair of inears plus and app that will enable you as a customer not only how loud you want it to be but also what kind of mix you want: more drums, more guitar, more vocals, etc.

The customers' experience will be finally customizable.

It will come.

I can easily see the future you predict.

I read an article in one of the trade rags a few months back about a play in a theater where the fourth wall was plexiglass, there was all sorts of miking around the stage beyond just the performers' lavaliere mics and the audience were all given headphones. It was a very brave move on the part of the director but the audience experience was said to be very good. It was a unique night at the theater, to be sure.

In my studio, I use a Yamaha TF5 mixer and IEMs. Yamaha also has a compatible Android / iPhone app called Monitor Mix. It allows each user to select the bus that points to their IEMs and gives them full control of the mix - not just stems (though the app allows you to create groups) but all channels.

It's not much of a stretch to add VR goggles to this scenario as the technology improves and prices come down enough to make it cost effective.

While some may feel that a concert is best experienced in the raw, already most people can only see tiny little dots on an arena stage from afar and watch most of the performance on the big screens behind the back line. So you're already watching part of your live concert on TV, so to speak.

As these multimedia and personal viewing / interaction options become more mainstream, it will not only allow the audience to hear radio quality mixes, it will give performers all sorts of new ways to express their creativity. It could be a very cool thing.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I had a similar situation. I took the latest os and my backup on usb stick but also took a second usb stick to backup what was on the kpa given. That way i could restore the kpa to its original state when finished and not “give away” those paid for profiles.

You need to allow time for the os upgrade and backup procedure. Also the tough bit was restoring the kpa to its original state after the gig (a bit harder to get done during stage clear up)

Just make sure the stage crew have finalised plugging and unplugging equipment- you dont want that happening during your upgrade or restore session!

Also there may be some compromise on the monitor, depending on what you're used to,

• so, on the matter of compatible" OS

do you think that if the rental KPA is on the latest OS, but the backup was made from the previous iteration, that would be a problem?

or to put it another way, is the issue that they need to be the same, or just that the KPA shouldn't be on an older version?

• so, on the matter of compatible" OS

do you think that if the rental KPA is on the latest OS, but the backup was made from the previous iteration, that would be a problem?

or to put it another way, is the issue that they need to be the same, or just that the KPA shouldn't be on an older version?

My motto is to restore to same or newer.

That being said I'd like the "newer" to be within 1 rev. Certainly not an older rev. Imagine restoring from a 6.x rev with the new reverbs to an older without.

• I hope I'll see Kempers implemented in venues I play at before I retire from gigging.

Seriously, this is the future IMO plus in-ear-monitoring not only for musicians but for the audience as well.

How you gonna speak to your friends? It seems like a very isolated, anti social experience.

Not for me.

• ... an app that will enable you as a customer not only how loud you want it to be but also what kind of mix you want

Holy cow, Ingolf :D Not even experienced musicians know "what kind of mix they want", hahaha. How can a regular spectator possibly mix anything?

Regarding the original question:

You can always downgrade the Profiler to an OS version that has proven to work for you and your setup and your backup. Just take the OS you want and the corresponding backup you need. Take 2 pendrives and keep them in different places.

You might also want to take a factory default backup so you can reset the Profiler after using it (you don't want your rigs and performances to spread around, right?)

• Regarding the original question:

You can always downgrade the Profiler to an OS version that has proven to work for you and your setup and your backup. Just take the OS you want and the corresponding backup you need. Take 2 pendrives and keep them in different places.

You might also want to take a factory default backup so you can reset the Profiler after using it (you don't want your rigs and performances to spread around, right?)

I agree. Stick with what you know when you're on tour.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• How you gonna speak to your friends? It seems like a very isolated, anti social experience.

Not for me.

I'm speaking to my friends the same way as you, I suppose. ;)

And there would still be a collective "experiencing a concert event", just a bit different.

Just thinking outside the box and the technical possibilities to achieve my outlined scenario are just around the corner.