How to create auto volume swell?

• Without having it in front of me, I think several of the delay stomps include a "swell" parameter. Have you messed around with those?

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• No, they have smear.

I was going off of this, I guess it is incorrect?

"A number of delay types feature the parameters "Swell", "Smear" and "Cross Feedback". Each of these parameters will make the delay sound smoother and can turn a rhythmical delay into a more ambient, or reverb-like, effect. And together, they work even better!

• Swell - The Swell parameter engages an auto-swell effect at the input of the delay that lets the volume rise slowly with every new strike of the strings. At low values, only the pick attack is dampened, creating a smoother delay signal. With larger values, the onset of the notes is blurred, creating a pad-like delay."
    • Smear - The Smear parameter adds a small reverberation unit to the delay, the intensity of which strengthens with every feedback repetition. Pick attacks become increasingly diffused, or smeared, giving the delay a reverb-like quality. In combination, Swell and Smear are a perfect recipe for ambient and ethereal delays.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/ne…s-for-the-KEMPER-PROFILER

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited once, last by Locrain ().

• Great

I thought so.

• I tried turning up the swell to 100% and didn't get the pad swell. I thought this swell nob was similar to the rise feature on the Strymon timeline but no luck. I think you have to also make sure the delay is 100% wet as well in order to truly get the volume pedal effect. The swell is only applied to the delay note. I'll try this tonight and report back as I also want an answer to this question :)

• There is a swell preset in one of new delays as a good starting point, I'm pretty sure it has swell in the name. But if starting from scratch, I believe the mix of the delay has to be all the way up, and just because the parameter says 100% keep turning it up to the right as some of those keep going up till is says 100/100 or something like that to where you are not hearing the original signal at all, put only the repeats. The swell effect is applied to the repeats only, thus you want the mix up to the point where you are only hearing the repeats, and zero of the original signal. In this case if the delay time is set too long you will notice a long delay between when you strum the strings and you hear the swelled sound begin. If so, shorten the delay time to taste and lengthen the repeats.

And just a pointer to make any autoswell from any company sound convincing and like using a volume pedal. If you let notes or chords sustain on your guitar and don't lift up slightly or mute before hitting the next note or chord, the next note or chord may not be swelled in, because the volume of the incoming signal hasn't dropped enough to cross the threshold and the autoswell just keeps the gate open allowing your percussive attack come through. If you stop the sound coming from your guitar itself between notes and chords, this of course could lead to audible gaps between those notes and chords depending on the settings of your swell effect. But this is why it's best to place a swell effect BEFORE dedicated delay and/or reverb effects. This way, the swell effect handles the swell, and the delay/reverb effect continues to ring out even though you've muted the sound with your hands for half a second.