Kemper Stage started picking up radio interference all of a sudden

• I've had my Kemper Stage for 3 weeks as of today, 10/01/19. I have 2 Laney IRT-X cabs plugged in as monitors in my studio. about 20 minutes ago, I was sitting in front of my computer, Kemper on, Cabs on, guitar on the stand, volume off...when suddenly a noise like power switching on, came through the Laneys followed by radio interference. I couldn't make it out, but there was talking as well as a lot of hiss. It goes away with the cables removed from the Monitor Outputs. I plugged in my HX Stomp and plugged the Laneys into it and no hiss or interference. Any ideas what caused this sudden phenomenon?

• It sounds as if a ground connection suddenly snaped, and you got yourself an expensive anthenna. Most likely it is an internal connection issue, maybe the TRS connections are not correctly grounded, and once you connect the cab, the loop gets lifted from ground and you get all the radio stations on your kemper (Extra feature if you ask me). Should be relatively easy to solve, some wire connected to the shield of the connectors and you should be done.

The answer is 42

• I'm not sure if this is related to your issue but it kind of sounds the same, check out this thread Kemper Stage Electrical Noise Issue

This is very similar. The noise actually gets a lot quieter if I unplug the 1/4" cable from the monitor out that I'm using as the Stack out for recording dry guitar half way, but if I unplug it all the way, it's just as noisy, albeit a slightly different frequency. If I unplug the 1/4" Mains outs that go to my FR cabs and use just the XLR to the interface into my DAW, it's quiet. Again, I find it most odd that everything was literally sitting dormant when all of a sudden, this happened.

• I just emailed support. It's very similar, yet different still.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I just emailed support. It's very similar, yet different still.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What happens if you use the monitor outs to the speakers instead of using the 1/4" mains?

• Looking into the videos, it seems the 1/4" TRS connector shield ring is not properly grounded to the case of the kemper, but most likely they are grounded together to all the other in/outs. That would explain why when you connect one of the TRS (non balanced) outputs, you create a floating ground in your out, so the case of the Kemper becomes an anthenna, but if you connect your USB to the computer for example, the in/outs would get grounded from the USB cable through the computer (all usb are shielded and grounded by standard). This design might be on order to how this version has no balanced inputs or outputs, but then again, which grounding connection between the in/outs is failing, its out of my reach to say as I do not own a STAGE. But it should be quite easy to fix, just one cable from the shielding of the In/Outs to the case of the Kemper (preferably inside the unit) and that should do it.

The answer is 42

• Looking into the videos, it seems the 1/4" TRS connector shield ring is not properly grounded to the case of the kemper, but most likely they are grounded together to all the other in/outs. That would explain why when you connect one of the TRS (non balanced) outputs, you create a floating ground in your out, so the case of the Kemper becomes an anthenna, but if you connect your USB to the computer for example, the in/outs would get grounded from the USB cable through the computer (all usb are shielded and grounded by standard). This design might be on order to how this version has no balanced inputs or outputs, but then again, which grounding connection between the in/outs is failing, its out of my reach to say as I do not own a STAGE. But it should be quite easy to fix, just one cable from the shielding of the In/Outs to the case of the Kemper (preferably inside the unit) and that should do it.

Although I appreciate that, (and the USB cable doesn't affect the noice in my case), I am not opening my brand new unit and voiding the warranty to perform such a task. The unit worked flawlessly for 20 days, including a gig on day 4, and all of a sudden some sort of ground decided to go rogue. I'm still waiting to hear back from service about the issue. But yeah, I'd send it back before I opened it up and began making ground connections.

• What happens if you use the monitor outs to the speakers instead of using the 1/4" mains?

No idea. Not particularly interested in rerouting outputs to find out. It worked flawlessly for 20 days including a gig. The fact it spontaneously lost a ground somewhere has me waiting on service to respond or I'll just return it. I'm not going to try using alternate connections as a workaround. I want it fixed/replaced. Losing those outputs would completely mess up how I record with the Kemper. It amazes me that they would release the Stage before it was ready, yet they had a functioning version of the editor at NAMM last January. Right now, I'm pretty disappointed in Kemper.

• No idea. Not particularly interested in rerouting outputs to find out. It worked flawlessly for 20 days including a gig. The fact it spontaneously lost a ground somewhere has me waiting on service to respond or I'll just return it. I'm not going to try using alternate connections as a workaround. I want it fixed/replaced. Losing those outputs would completely mess up how I record with the Kemper. It amazes me that they would release the Stage before it was ready, yet they had a functioning version of the editor at NAMM last January. Right now, I'm pretty disappointed in Kemper.

OK, no worries. I was just being curious in a troubleshooting way. Not suggesting a work around.

If you've opened a ticket check your spam/junk folder, and I've heard that today was a holiday in Germany.

Best of luck my friend.

• Although I appreciate that, (and the USB cable doesn't affect the noice in my case), I am not opening my brand new unit and voiding the warranty to perform such a task. The unit worked flawlessly for 20 days, including a gig on day 4, and all of a sudden some sort of ground decided to go rogue. I'm still waiting to hear back from service about the issue. But yeah, I'd send it back before I opened it up and began making ground connections.

My fault, I am not implying that you open your brand new kemper, but what I mean, is that in any case it should be doable to fix easily. You can try to ground it by yourself without openning by coonecting the shield of one of your cables to maybe one screw, but of course, you should just send it back to kemper. It looks like a quality issue, that most likely will be adressed in future revisions of the Stage. It is strange but ground connections in electronics can go wild for almost any reason.

The answer is 42

• Looks as if I have the same issue with my Stage. I thought this high pitched noise I heard in my monitor and sends outs might have just been a problem with cables.

I took my Stage to use in a recording studio recently and the engineer complained about this high pitched noise from the XLR out too. I was using a high quality guitar cable, a PRS with humbuckers, and the studio uses good quality cables.

• OK, no worries. I was just being curious in a troubleshooting way. Not suggesting a work around.

If you've opened a ticket check your spam/junk folder, and I've heard that today was a holiday in Germany.

Best of luck my friend.

Thank you. Yes, I'm keeping tabs on the other folders.

• My fault, I am not implying that you open your brand new kemper, but what I mean, is that in any case it should be doable to fix easily. You can try to ground it by yourself without openning by coonecting the shield of one of your cables to maybe one screw, but of course, you should just send it back to kemper. It looks like a quality issue, that most likely will be adressed in future revisions of the Stage. It is strange but ground connections in electronics can go wild for almost any reason.

Yeah, that's basically my feeling. If it were a couple years old, sure. But 3 weeks? They need to address this. Thank you!

• New Theramin profile...

• If you have a clip lead (or even a piece of wire) try what I did in this video to see if it clears up your issue. If that's the case then I think you need to exchange that unit for another one.

EDIT: In this example it really is a worse case scenario because the lead from the Stage output to my monitor is quite long, in fact, in runs through the attic of my man cave to the other wall so it's probably about 40ft or more. If I used a shorter cable (like 12ft) the noise was much less but still there, kind of like yours.

• If you have a clip lead (or even a piece of wire) try what I did in this video to see if it clears up your issue. If that's the case then I think you need to exchange that unit for another one.

EDIT: In this example it really is a worse case scenario because the lead from the Stage output to my monitor is quite long, in fact, in runs through the attic of my man cave to the other wall so it's probably about 40ft or more. If I used a shorter cable (like 12ft) the noise was much less but still there, kind of like yours.

Wow! Thanks Tim, I'll try that today.

So, I got an email from Kemper this morning (Tuesday, 10/8). They apologized for the delay because of a long weekend for a banking holiday in Germany. Although my first email went last Tuesday the 1st and then Thursday the 3rd. Anyway, he asked for a video reproducing the issue as if he hasn't heard of this. :rolleyes: So I sent the videos I posted here. I also emailed American Musical Supply where I purchased the unit. They responded and at least said they'd like to call and troubleshoot the issue if it doesn't seem redundant. I replied with the same videos I sent Kemper (haven't heard back from Kemper, btw) but I also made this new one based on yours. I used a clip lead to attain the same result. I sent this video to AMS and am sending it to Kemper as well. I REALLY want a Kemper Stage...but I REALLY want it AFTER they address whatever this production issue is. I'd be afraid to bring this to a gig now.

• I had enough slack in the 1/4" monitor out cable that was plugged into my active DXR speaker, that I could pick the cable up and wave it near the front of the speaker cabinet and could get variations in the noise almost like a theremin.

I'll try the test lead procedure as in the videos here soon.