Kemper Stage started picking up radio interference all of a sudden

• I had enough slack in the 1/4" monitor out cable that was plugged into my active DXR speaker, that I could pick the cable up and wave it near the front of the speaker cabinet and could get variations in the noise almost like a theremin.

I'll try the test lead procedure as in the videos here soon.

Funny you should say that...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I also experienced email issues with support but once we got that sorted out Kemper US sent me a replacement unit overnight and it has worked perfectly ever since.

You should also double check that the ground lifts are not enabled, it's in the menu somewhere, I don't have my Stage handy so I can't tell you where the setting is but engaging the ground lift will also cause this issue.

• Glad you guys in the US seems to be getting replacement units.
    I have been dealing with Kemper support in Europe since I bought my Stage on the first week of release.
    I have multiple ground problems. Just endless emails backwards and forwards and no resolution. Sent videos too.
    Tried and successfully replicated in different studio with exactly the same results.

Can’t even profile anything without using a Lehle A/B box acting as a ground lift before the amp input I want to profile as the ground switches on the Stage do nothing but make any ground loop noise louder and weirder.
    My Stage even has a buzz when no cable is plugged into the input that goes when a guitar and cable are inserted.
    Have stayed off the forum with most of this and have just been dealing with support but this has gone on far too long now.

So, when do the people in Europe get replacement units without weird grounding problems? I was encouraged by support to work with them through the problems being told it was software related when I could have just returned the unit for a working one through the retailer within that timeframe. That timeframe is gone.

• I tried switching the internal ground lifts from off to on , and the noise was worse. I connected a wire on the back casing screw and attached the other end to the metal casing on the monitor out 1/4 "jack, just like in the the videos above, and the grounding noise went away ! Same result if I use the Main 1/4 " output. Looks like I need to contact support too.

• Glad you guys in the US seems to be getting replacement units.
    I have been dealing with Kemper support in Europe since I bought my Stage on the first week of release.
    I have multiple ground problems. Just endless emails backwards and forwards and no resolution. Sent videos too.
    Tried and successfully replicated in different studio with exactly the same results.

Can’t even profile anything without using a Lehle A/B box acting as a ground lift before the amp input I want to profile as the ground switches on the Stage do nothing but make any ground loop noise louder and weirder.
    My Stage even has a buzz when no cable is plugged into the input that goes when a guitar and cable are inserted.
    Have stayed off the forum with most of this and have just been dealing with support but this has gone on far too long now.

So, when do the people in Europe get replacement units without weird grounding problems? I was encouraged by support to work with them through the problems being told it was software related when I could have just returned the unit for a working one through the retailer within that timeframe. That timeframe is gone.

I'm so sorry to hear this! That's awful. My fear is that my new one will possess the same problem. If that happens, I'll return it and get another head like I had before. I'm really sorry I sold it. But I didn't want to have all that money tied up in Kempers. If this one is or goes bad, I will wait until Kemper gets this figured out. What irritated me the most is that when Kemper replied to my email, they acted as if they had never heard of this issue. That really bothers me. I'd have been much more confident in a resolution if they said they were working on the solution.

• I also experienced email issues with support but once we got that sorted out Kemper US sent me a replacement unit overnight and it has worked perfectly ever since.

You should also double check that the ground lifts are not enabled, it's in the menu somewhere, I don't have my Stage handy so I can't tell you where the setting is but engaging the ground lift will also cause this issue.

Oh, the first thing I did was go into the outputs menu and try the ground lifts to see if they helped. They didn't. I let Kemper and AMS know that also.

• I'm so sorry to hear this! That's awful. My fear is that my new one will possess the same problem. If that happens, I'll return it and get another head like I had before. I'm really sorry I sold it. But I didn't want to have all that money tied up in Kempers. If this one is or goes bad, I will wait until Kemper gets this figured out. What irritated me the most is that when Kemper replied to my email, they acted as if they had never heard of this issue. That really bothers me. I'd have been much more confident in a resolution if they said they were working on the solution.

Well, they have been in touch today and are arranging for a new one to be sent to me.
    Really hope too that all these problems are non existent in the replacement. Also it better not be a refurb from the same batch.

• Oh, the first thing I did was go into the outputs menu and try the ground lifts to see if they helped. They didn't. I let Kemper and AMS know that also.

Yes, my ground lifts were non existent as ground lifts. They just added more hiss or noise.
    From the start, one support guy said he could replicate the hiss when engaging the ground lift. While he was on holiday, the second guy I dealt with claimed to be unaware of the problem and seemed to think putting a patch cable between the send and return was the same as plugging it into an amp and having a mic in the return. I was told that putting a patch cable there would prove the device and grounds were fine. I pointed out that all this did was prove the send and return were working. Which I already knew since I had already profiled a few things (with the Lehle A/B box lifting the ground.
    So, be interested to see if the ground lifts are finally working.

• Seems that the issue could not be the ground lifts, the ground lifts just are phasing the difference of the reference for the overall output and input voltage, unless they are near absolute ground lifts (that most audio equipment wont have, as they are relegated to lab testing and electric power equipment, and require specific physical construction), ground lifts will be just shifting the noise some dB down/up. It is indeed a grounding problem, and I bet it has to do with the grounding of the 1/4" jacks.

The answer is 42

• I got my replacement from American Musical Supply today. After Kemper responded to my email last Tuesday, October 8th, a week after I sent it, because of a "long weekend", I responded and sent links to my videos. They have still not responded since. Anyway, the new unit is quiet, but so was the last one for the first 20 days. I just got this pop-up on my computer and it seems a little vague.

"Something went wrong. Some items in PROFILER are damaged. To resolve this issue, turn PROFILER off. Wait for 10 seconds and choose Browse mode while holding the Rig button for at least 30 seconds. PROFILER will boot and attempt to repair the items in question."

This is exactly what it says. By leaving out where to power it up again, it leaves it a guessing game. So I've tried everything. Holding the buttons for over 30 seconds to see if it boots up. Holding the buttons WHILE I turn it on. Pressing them AFTER I turn it on. Holding down rig THEN pressing browse. I'm not getting any reboot/repair process happening. My patience is growing thin.

• Funny, I just got a response from Kemper.

Man, sometimes I want to smack service people. I know they have to deal with idiots all the time, but sometimes I feel like they don't read anything you send them. This was the response:

@ Kemper Amps Support

Dear Randy Willcox,

sorry for the delay.

Grounding issues can be caused by the environment of the customer.

Have you tried to use the device in another environment, your rehearsal room or another house?

Have you tried to use another power outlet and tried the Ground Lift function in the output menu?

Do you receive the same noise when nothing is connected to the Stage except your headphones to the appropriate output and your guitar?

I assumed you'd exchange your device, already?

Do you need assistance?

Where did you purchase your device?

I can forward you to the American-based team when you purchased directly from our online store.

If a new device does not solve the problem, then I suspect the problem is not at the device but in your environment or other equipment.

Keep me informed

Peter

????‍♂️