Got my kemper yesterday - need help with some output / sound...questions/problems...

• Greetings! Got my unpowered toaster yesterday & updated the firmware, linked to rig manager & everything went fine. Hooked up my 2 headrush 8" frfr's to the main out's via 1/4" (couldn't find my xlr's). Output set to Master stereo and started sampling profiles in the kemper & the Sinmix free recording pack I downloaded.

Cleans and crunch profiles sound quite good! But, I'm a high gain player and am having issues with high gain patches. All the high gain patches, whether it's an Ubershall, 5150 III, JVM, 6505, etc...the bass is overly present and clunky sounding. It's not smooth. The high gain patches do not sound high gain like I hear in many videos. More on that below. The profiles lack good saturation and articulation. The bass heavy sound makes it not smooth at all. It's all pretty dry & sterile. They all have a rock to hard rock vibe to them, not high gain metal.

I am going to try putting my frfr's into the monitor & direct out & set soft button to monitor stereo. I believe there is also an option under the quick button to run common configs & 2 frfr's is an option.

My frfr's are on the floor, angled up. I will work on positioning or getting them off the ground entirely to see if that helps the bass heavy sound. However, all the sound clips on youtube and elsewhere usually are double tracked or are mixed for a nice polished sound.

Aside from all the detailed settings which I haven't really delved into yet like clarity, definition, power sagging etc..is there anything I could have missed? A lot of the profiles have some of these being used to some degree.

Only my first day with it & need a lot of time to familiarize myself with it but, was hoping to get some tones I can play with in the meantime. I'm not going to record or play live. I'm ok with not having the in the room sound.

Any help, advise or tips you can offer would be much appreciated! Here are 2 clips of what I'd consider to sound good & would be happy with. Help!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've read comments from a few people with the Headrush speakers that indicated they turn down the Bass in the Output menu EQ.

Are you planning on sending a signal to FOH PA? If so, I suggest using the Monitor Outputs instead of the Main Outputs for your cabinets. (I use a mono monitor, but, the Kemper Manual describes how to configure Stereo Monitors).

Not planning on playing live. Since I tried stereo through the mains last night, I will try them later via Main mono. Then I'll try monitor out + direct send in mono and stereo. I'll check out the bass eq as well. Thanks!

Also try turning the Clarity down, this will bring whatever gain the profile has more to the forefront.

Thanks for the tip!

• Output set to Master stereo and started sampling profiles in the kemper & the Sinmix free recording pack I downloaded.

Have you tried profiles from other top sellers, like Tone Junkie or M Britt ? I own a Headrush 112 and their high gain profiles sound fantastic.

If you are experiencing the same issue with rigs within the same pack, it might be due to how they were profiled.

• Before pointing to the FRFR, are you happy with the sound of your profiles through monitor headphones?

Do you like the cabs used in those profiles? Sometimes changing the cabs to taste, make a huge difference.

MB recto cab, STL tones, Live Ready Sound, Reampzone, top jimmy, Cililab, Tils cabs, have excellent high gain references.

Some links that might help.

Testing out some higher gain profiles

Kemper Profiling Amp - 10 Hi-Gain Amp Profile for Metal Tone

Share your tips on high gain sounds.

High Gain Profiles sound very weak

• Hi, welcome!

A lot of useful tips already here from the fellow Kemper-ians which are all valid. I would just like to add that to my experience the SinMix stuff has nice high gain profiles but they tend to sound extreme in bass and high end. Please try other free packs from commercial profilers like MBritt, Tone Junkie, Top Jimi.... and some from the RigExchange,e.g. mDan's Driftwood Merged profile to see if those are less extreme.

As you are already having a big amount of aspects mentioned by yourself I trust that you find your sound soon. Don't give up too early. Your setup can surely do High Gain in a nice way.

• Thanks all for your input. Through heaphones I found dirty profiles never sound great. No exception with the kemper but, the cleans are very nice. The headpnone out is better than any I"ve used.

I flipped the frfr's upright to get the majority of it off the ground & instant better tone. Sounds like metal high gain! No more overpowering, clunky bass.

It's till bassy but, at least I found it was the speakers placement rather than my settings. Next step will be to get them on stands or on tables.

Any recommendations on height? Putting them up I may lose some bass response but, can eq it back in from the amp settings, output eq or use the contour. Thanks all for your help!