A little help with the JSX Ultra profile...

• I was testing a JSX profile (my first download) and modifying it for a Satriani song (Love thing), however I almost spent the whole night but isn't satisfied with the tone yet. First of all, sorry for the mistakes and sloppy playing I just picked up the guitar this year (due to the KPA) and just learned the song. I played for over a year before but that's like 18 years ago haha but I never stopped listening to my guitar heroes so I'd like to think my ear is trained - just a little bit :D.

My question is are there tools (softwares) that I can use to nail down maybe even just the EQ curve or something to get me closer to the original? I know I don't have to copy the tone 100% and mostly is in the fingers but anything that helps to get me closer. I am basically using the JSX Ultra profile from the Rig Exchange, boosted the bass and turned down the middle and treble. I also turned down the gain but not too much since it doesn't seem to respond well (turning down the gain). I used TILLS cabinet (20 I think) and turned on delay and reverb (no other effects on).

I posted the clip (no post processing - I don't know how to) I recorded in Audacity (first time recording). I'm using a JEM and a real (CAE) Wah (my first time to use a Wah as well so most of the time I'm just tapping it with the tempo). Let me know what I can tweak further.

Here's the link: http://soundcloud.com/stringnoob/kpa-test-01

BTW, I love the KPA I have it for a little over a month now and it's one of the reasons it brought me back into playing. Thanks for this wonderful community.

• I think you nailed Satch´s palying style pretty good ... awesome playing :thumbup:

Concerning the solo tone i would roll off the bass and turn up the mids to a good amount, thats my general way to get a nice singing lead tone. Since there are some "booming" low end moments on you solo guitar, i would really try that.

While i almost never put any compression or limiter on distorted rhythm guitars it really can help integrating a solo guitar into the mix. But i would always apply these on the DAW, so you can revert the changes.

• Thanks I’m really digging the KPA hopefully in a few years I’ll
    improve, this gear lets me keep playing instead of tweaking (originally tried
    the best from Line 6 and Fractal last Jan to Feb while I waited for the KPA).

You are right, I just listened to it using a headphone it’s
    very different from the Alto speakers when I recorded and dialed the settings –
    another newbie mistake. Also when you mentioned about compressors and limiter are
    you talking about the effects in the KPA or are these plugins from the
    recording software which you can apply and undo anytime?

Hmm I think I need full pledged recording software, thinking
    of Sonar X1 or Reason – it must be one of the industry/hobbyist standard if I
    have to invest large portion of my time learning it. It must also be one that’s
    powerful enough to add other parts (especially drum loops) for creating music (a
    family member plays the keyboard).

Oh, I have much to learn.

• Also when you mentioned about compressors and limiter are
    you talking about the effects in the KPA or are these plugins from the
    recording software which you can apply and undo anytime?

Hmm I think I need full pledged recording software, thinking
    of Sonar X1 or Reason – it must be one of the industry/hobbyist standard if I
    have to invest large portion of my time learning it.

That´s right, i was talking about adding compression and limiting in your DAW sequenzer software. If you really plan to get a little more into those i would go either for Cubase on PC or Logic on Mac.

• stringnoob, man... thank you so much for your explanation. I have an amazing Satch tone now even though I'm playing an Ibanez Universe with an Evo 7 and Air Norton 7. Also, your clip sounds foolishingly realistic compared to the original, very good job.

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

• I tried downloading some trial versions and some scared me with the complexity of their interfaces, I like Riffworks but it looks it isn't powerful enough (for long term) it doesn't seem to be like a real DAW. I really like an easy learning curve but powerful enough to grow with a hobbyist like me.

Just to clarify (since I'm assuming most of this), the one I'm looking for is a DAW right? Then I'm mainly concerned about the built-in drum loops but they aren't really built-in, are these third party softwares or called VST plugins that are compatible to any DAW? Because what i'm trying to look for now is the DAW with the best rock/metal drum loops but I'm not going anywhere since it seems every VST is compatible to any DAW so it should be entirely independent.

Also, there must be some controllers for these DAW like a keyboard type thing or a drum pad so not to rely solely on your mouse and computer keyboard. Sorry I'm going to head to wiki now and research a bit, these are all new to me. ?(