Kemper with Rokits and audio interface issue *solved

• Ok so I just bought the kemper powerhead and love the sound plugged into my 2x12 Creamback cab.. but I’ve plugged into my Scarlett 2i2 today to test it out through my Rokit Monitor speakers and it sounds terrible. I’ve going straight from the main output into the interface (also tried monitor out etc), but when I set the volume so it’s not into the red and distorting it’s also really quiet.

I’m unable to get to a level where I could playback with a track and it match in terms of volume

Has anyone got any tips or advice as this is the method I was hoping to use to record to save micing up cab.

Thanks

Dan

• I have the cab set to off for the powered output/monitor but on for main outputs but tried it both ways and doesn’t sound very good. Will try the rokits direct.

Just wondered if there was a way to setup levels/ make them sound ok through the Scarlett interface, as if I do them direct I’m not able to then monitor what I’m recording or the mix etc.. is it just a case of plugging into soundcard/interface getting the levels right then hitting record to get a good recording?? As I say it doesn’t sound good through the monitors when plugged into the interface so not sure if this is a true interpretation of how it will sound when recording

But through a cab sounds great

• I have the cab set to off for the powered output/monitor but on for main outputs but tried it both ways and doesn’t sound very good. Will try the rokits direct.

Just wondered if there was a way to setup levels/ make them sound ok through the Scarlett interface, as if I do them direct I’m not able to then monitor what I’m recording or the mix etc.. is it just a case of plugging into soundcard/interface getting the levels right then hitting record to get a good recording?? As I say it doesn’t sound good through the monitors when plugged into the interface so not sure if this is a true interpretation of how it will sound when recording

But through a cab sounds great

You should be able to get glorious recordings, no doubt.

Do you have decent headphones to be able to A/B the interface and Kemper headphone outs?

• Tried through headphones via kemper and interface and sounds roughly the same, although I can’t get it to a level where it’s not peaking and loud enough via interface in the headphones same as speakers. Kemper headphone levels are fine and volume is fine through cab so I’m guessing the Scarlett 2i2 isn’t much good

Any recommendations for a good interface?? Not tried rokits direct yet but I’m guessing it’s the interface

If all else fails will just have to mic up cab like before with my tube amps

• Before upgrading the interface, I would try your Rockits direct. I'm using an Audient iD14 with Rokit 6s and it doesn't sounds great either (not nearly as good as listening directly from the headphone jack using Sennheiser phones).

I think it's mostly the interface, but probably a bit of both.

I'm also looking at upgrading and am looking at one of the Antelope Audio solutions, but they're expensive.

• Ok so tried rokits direct and sounds a little better but not much, come to the conclusion I’m not gonna like the kemper through powered speakers.. first plug into my 1974 Marshall cab with Creambacks and it sounds great just like my tube amps.. so not sure if the cab is adding something or not but will probably mic up for recording and also mic up if playing live rather than plugging in direct. It’s a shame as was one of the selling points

Will possibly try an frfr speaker just so I’m sure. Any good reccomendations??

• Something just isn’t right with your setup. I don’t know if it’s the outboard gear or settings within your KPA.

But the idea that you have to mic a cab to get an acceptable sound from the KPA is ludicrous to me.

Something is not right at all.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I must have it setup wrong l, I’m gonna try some recording direct but my point been pretty much any profile I can play straight through cab and it sounds great.

I play into my monitors and it sounds awful.. if I play an audio track from computer through them sounds fine. So I’ll just have to record some stuff direct then playback and see what results I get

Also just bought the brown sound pack from top Jimi and straight away into my cab sounds perfect but into monitors not so much. Are there any settings tips I can use to get the sound recording direct from kemper as it’s coming through cab because obviously the sound is there

Cheers

• Ok so I’ve solved it, I’ve gone further on in the pages on output and adjusted the eqs and it’s sounding a lot better now and getting a true representation of sound, also when armed on a recording track the volume is increasing so it’s not too quiet aswell.

It’s just in normal mode the volume is low through interface and monitors but I would just play through cab anyhow in that instance

Thanks for the help :)

Dan

• @matthews have done.. love the kemper I’ve gone into it with mind set of wanting to adapt and I think that’s the key coming from tube amps and pedals.. the sound is all there absolutely love it. Getting sounds from my strat I’ve never heard before!!

• @matthews have done.. love the kemper I’ve gone into it with mind set of wanting to adapt and I think that’s the key coming from tube amps and pedals.. the sound is all there absolutely love it. Getting sounds from my strat I’ve never heard before!!

Quite the eye opener isn't it?!!!8)