Damaging Headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 990)

• Hi , I have a pair of DT990s 250ohm which are a few years old and are used for guitar practice only, I haven't really used the headphones that much but last night started hearing a buzzing out of the right channel when playing more than 1 string at a time.

The chain is Mac Mini and Kemper feed into a 2nd Gen Scarlett 2i4. I listen out of the headphone out on the interface and can blend backing tracks and the Kemper with no latency. Never had any problems with volume and the quality sounds similar between the Scarlet and the Kemper Headphone outs.

I've probably been listening a little louder than I should but it is easy to damage headphone drivers when you're just practicing guitar playing through a cranked Marshall profile?

I took the headphone apart last night to view the membrane and there were no visible hairs or debris on the membrane. Reconnected it all back up and the problem still exists. Swapped difference headphones and the problem is only with the DT990.

Thinking about switching brand and picking up a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's next, just wanted to check if other people people have has similar issues with the Senn / Beyer headphones ?

• I tried several Beyerdynamic headphones with the Kemper. Ordered them on Amazon so I could test them before and return them if I didn't like them. At high volumes I noticed a rattling vibration in some of them out of the box. It is impossibe to know if it is the same that you are getting, but if you just started to use them at high volumes don't discard the possibility that the buzzing was always there and you just noticed it.

In the end I kept the Sennheiser HD 600 and love them. They have a very flat response and being open there is some spacial sensation if you use the Space setting and play loud enough.

I also bought the DT770 in 80 Ohm version to track vocals as they are closed to minimize bleed. They do sound very good but are a lot bass heavy than the HD 600.

• Thanks Atlantic, makes sense, I assume you don't get any rattle on the HD600's?

Its hard work dropping that much on headphones that are so old. I used to own the HD800 when they came out but eventually sold them when I moved house and had a chance to get speakers. That was a long time ago and the HD600's had been out a while back then from what I remember. Kicking myself now because the speakers are mothballed and I bet the HD800 would sound amazing with the Kemper.

Think I'm going to have to wait to see if I can pick up the HD600's or maybe the HD800's in the Black Friday deals.

Thanks for the input