First Profile question (Mic & Cab)

• Hi all,

I just created my first profile (of a Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit 200) and while I was wiring the profiling system this question arose inside of me:

How dependend is the profiling process on the microphone that is placed before the cabinet?

I have the signal that is going out from the Kemper to the reference amp.

But the only information that comes back to the Kemper itself is the signal via the external mic.

Or am I missing something important:/:?:

And how do I profile without any cab?

Trivial as this may seem, it puzzles/irritates me...

Best, Adrian

• The mic is THE most important thing in the profiling process. The type of mic and it position will dictate the sound. Think of it like recording an amp in a studio. If you place a different mic in front of the speaker or move the existing mic the recorded sound will change (often dramatically).

To make profiles without the speaker you need a DI box that can handle amp level signals. There is a list of suitable boxes in a thread somewhere on the forum. Once you have a DI box. Plug a SPEAKER cable from the amp’s speaker out to the DI box input. Don’t use a guitar cable as the speaker voltages can fry the cable and cause a short that could fry your amp. Then take an XLR cable from the DI out to the in of the KPA. When profiling make sure the box is selected to tell the KPA there is no cabinet in the signal.

• The mic is THE most important thing in the profiling process. The type of mic and it position will dictate the sound. Think of it like recording an amp in a studio. If you place a different mic in front of the speaker or move the existing mic the recorded sound will change (often dramatically).

To make profiles without the speaker you need a DI box that can handle amp level signals. There is a list of suitable boxes in a thread somewhere on the forum. Once you have a DI box. Plug a SPEAKER cable from the amp’s speaker out to the DI box input. Don’t use a guitar cable as the speaker voltages can fry the cable and cause a short that could fry your amp. Then take an XLR cable from the DI out to the in of the KPA. When profiling make sure the box is selected to tell the KPA there is no cabinet in the signal.

Thx, Wheresthedug, understood.

I have a two Hughes & Kettner Amps and they have Red Boxes "installed". Can I use those ports of The GrandMeister 36 and Black Spirit to go do the Kemper (instead of the mic)?

And I have a separate RedBox from Hughes & Kettner, too, which I can use, because it handles amp level signals. Am I correct?

• I think (but could be wrong) that the Red Box includes speaker emulation rather than a clean DI. If that is correct then the Redbox output will be like a Studio profile with a simulated cab and mic. If you want just a direct amp profile you need a pure DI signal.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen it but there is a good reference manual just for profiling in the download section of the Kemper website. It includes various diagrams of signal paths which probably explain it better than words alone can.

• Yes, it includes speaker emulation. It is no "clean DI box". You're right.

But the speaker emulation of the RedBoxes is not bad at all. They developed it greatly over the years. Not in the league of Two Notes stuff but still okay so it'll be interesting to hear profiles from that as well. And if I remember correctly (sorry I don't own the HK-stuff or a RedBox) you can select several characteristics like 4x12, 1x12, closed cab, open cab etc. to shape the sound. Give it a try :)