Is possible to record with cab simulation and play with real cabinet at the same?

• Hi there!

Today I've to record a reharshal and I would like to play with my band using my real 4x12 cabinet while I record my guitar with a cabinet simulation. In other words, I want to remove the cabinet simulation to play with my real cab, and record the kemper output with cabinet simulation at the same time. Is it possible? Thank you!

• Sure! Connect your 4x12 to the Monitor output and switch the cabsim off within the output menu (there's a little tickbox). At the same time the cabsim stays on for the main outs which you can use for recording.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Regarding the cabling yes, but still you have to do some Kemper-internal settings. Do you record through the mixing desk? If yes, it's ok like.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Sure! Connect your 4x12 to the Monitor output and switch the cabsim off within the output menu (there's a little tickbox). At the same time the cabsim stays on for the main outs which you can use for recording.

GenHarris Connecting a passive cab to the monitor out is not recommended since this will possibly harm the OP amp of the monitor output. You need to connect your passive cab to the speaker output and make sure to activate the "Monitor cab off" option in the output menu to deactivate the cab sim for the speaker output while keeping it active for the main outputs.

• As above - If your cabinet is a normal guitar amp passive one, plug it into the RED speaker output with a proper speaker cable (not a guitar cable, which will fry).

Monitor out needs to be amplified after it leaves the Kemper.

• (amp output gets its source internelly hard linked from monitor out. Every setting you make for monitor out equals the amp out setting, except one is line level, the other is amped...)

• Put simply:

You have the powered toaster, so the red output is the "normal" output from a guitar amp and will run a speaker. The other outputs are line outputs ( not powered).

So, plug your guitar cab into the red speaker output using a speaker lead ( the one you have cross out). Then take a main out to whatever you are using to record. Do not use any of the other outputs into non- amplified speakers.

For what you want to do, then switch cab sim off and the cab sim will remain on for main out and off for the guitar cab.

• For what you want to do, then switch cab sim off and the cab sim will remain on for main out and off for the guitar cab.

switching the cab sim off is a bit misleading advice. If you switch the cab module off it will be off for all outputs. Monitor cab off is the name of the function in the output menu that will deactivate the cab sim for the monitor output/speaker output exclusively.

• GenHarris Connecting a passive cab to the monitor out is not recommended since this will possibly harm the OP amp of the monitor output. You need to connect your passive cab to the speaker output and make sure to activate the "Monitor cab off" option in the output menu to deactivate the cab sim for the speaker output while keeping it active for the main outputs.

It worked. Thank you all for helping!

• I know I'm bumping this from beyond its forum grave but, assuming from what being said that (having not yet tried it), Kemper -> Cab plus s/pdif -> interface for recording. Using Cab as the sound source as it is definitely delay free.

Or would using the computers speakers be as delay free? Handy to use a cab essentially as a monitor right?

• I know I'm bumping this from beyond its forum grave but, assuming from what being said that (having not yet tried it), Kemper -> Cab plus s/pdif -> interface for recording. Using Cab as the sound source as it is definitely delay free.

Or would using the computers speakers be as delay free? Handy to use a cab essentially as a monitor right?

usually, a decent audio interface will have what they call zero-latency monitoring, where the input signal is routed directly to the outputs with the monitors.
    the round-trip through the DAW & plugins is what causes high latencies.

• usually, a decent audio interface will have what they call zero-latency monitoring, where the input signal is routed directly to the outputs with the monitors.
    the round-trip through the DAW & plugins is what causes high latencies.

So direct through s/pdif to essentially pc speakers as monitors is as good as using the cab at the same time.